Soccer referee declared dead after being punched in game

USA Today:

Soccer referee declared dead after being punched in game

A referee who authorities said was punched by a player during a soccer match in Livonia, Mich., Sunday has been declared dead, leaving behind a wife and two young sons.John Bieniewicz, 44, of Westland, Mich., was on the ground and unconscious when police arrived, police said in a news release.

James Acho, Bieniewicz’s friend of 30 years, said Bieniewicz is being kept on a ventilator until his organs can be harvested and donated through Gift of Life.
Bassel Abdul-Amir Saad, 36, of Dearborn, Mich., was arraigned Monday on a felony charge of assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder and received a $500,000 cash/surety bond.

“The charges will be reviewed and amended when appropriate confirmations are made and other necessary documentation is received,” said Maria Miller, a spokeswoman with the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office.
Bieniewicz worked as the lead medical assistant in the Pediatric Chronic Dialysis unit at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital in Ann Arbor, Mich…

Prayers for Mr Bieniewicz & his family.

I will never understand how people get so riled up over a game that they attack another person.

Of course my heart goes out to this man’s family – may he rest in peace, and may his family find comfort in Christ.

My heart also goes out to Saad, the man who punched Bieniewicz. I pray that he comes to repentance – one act of rage takes another man’s life – and that he seeks forgiveness in Christ.

Gertie

Good. It happens too often that athletes commit felonies in the courses of their events, and because they are players on a field, they get away with it. I believe that local law enforcement agencies ought to prosecute those who commit such felonies, because frequently the penalties within the game amount to nothing more than a few minutes’ rest, if anything at all.

Prayers, as appropriate, too :gopray:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.