Social Network The Movie

I've watched this movie twice since it came out on Redbox and I have to say I was totally intrigued. Not just by the brilliance of Zuckerberg but by the acting, the script and the
general tone.

At the time, Zuckerberg appeared to understand people and their needs in general, but he had no idea how to keep his girlfriend happy, and that part of the movie was true because his hateful postings were verified, he's grown up now, and responsible for the jobs of many people, but he was too emotionally immature to handle a boy/girl relationship.

Odd, he treated his girlfriend with the same snobbish, *I'm better than you attitude *that the Winklevoss Twins treated him.

There is absolutely no way that I can refrain from pointing out the Golden Rule...treat others including your girlfriend in the way you want to be treated and all will be fine.:)

The Social Network was a great movie that flew under the radar (despite being released theatrically twice). I can't think of any other movie that so effectively characterizes the social disconnect in which we live - the loneliness, the need for "real life" community, and yes, treating other people with respect. As a "single," the film's content resonates even more.

People are going to be talking about The Social Network years from now the same way a lot of us talk about "The Breakfast Club."

[quote="havana1, post:2, topic:230520"]
The Social Network was a great movie that flew under the radar (despite being released theatrically twice). I can't think of any other movie that so effectively characterizes the social disconnect in which we live - the loneliness, the need for "real life" community, and yes, treating other people with respect. As a "single," the film's content resonates even more.

People are going to be talking about The Social Network years from now the same way a lot of us talk about "The Breakfast Club."

[/quote]

Havana, I totally agree with you, it has longevity, I didn't think about that one! And the social disconnect/connect by machine bothers me, in fact my nephew and I were talking about it yesterday (email is a good thing...we've talked more online than we ever did in person) He said that he didn't know his neighbors after five years!

Even if I just invite someone over to watch a movie I swear I'm gonna DO it! To bring this home, I believe that every parish in the United States should commit to the idea of
drawing in the young, single people. Some will never marry but there should be a place of respect in the Church for everyone, the Methodists manage to do it. They have coffee houses and they use the talents in their own parishes, people who can sing, karoke and play the guitar, and you don't NEED a date and you don't have to be looking for a spouse...just friends.

The point is ISTM that he “grew up” over the course of the events of the film.

The nasty breakup with her occurs in the first ten minutes, and his nasty comments on the Harvard “face books” right after that. But it is his struggles with capital accquisition, employees, Eduardo, and others, that taught him just how nasty that behavior on his part had been.

In our post-Y2K society, being unable to handle a “boy girl” relationship is hardly a measure of immaturity; witness the divorces and romantic conflicts that commonly take place between couples of grown-adult age. But even his “guy” friendship with Eduardo – something children know how to maintain, and had existed for years – is lost as the protagonist scrabbles for more and more money and success.

And in the end, he has learned his lesson, as he sits in his deserted penthouse office and his mouse cursor hovers over his ex-girlfriend’s Facebook icon, realizing that there is no point in pushing the button any more.

ICXC NIKA.

Absolutely love the film.I love the screen play, very clever dialogue and from Aaron Sorkin of West Wing no wonder it was so cleverly written! This deserves oscars galore!

[quote="Freeda, post:1, topic:230520"]
At the time, Zuckerberg appeared to understand people and their needs in general, but he had no idea how to keep his girlfriend happy, and that part of the movie was true because his hateful postings were verified, he's grown up now, and responsible for the jobs of many people, but he was too emotionally immature to handle a boy/girl relationship.

[/quote]

Actually, that part of the movie was completely fabricated. The entire character of his ex-girlfriend was completely fictional. Zuckerburg is currently in a relationship with his longtime girlfriend who was with him even before Facebook.

[quote="Archangelic, post:6, topic:230520"]
Actually, that part of the movie was completely fabricated. The entire character of his ex-girlfriend was completely fictional. Zuckerburg is currently in a relationship with his longtime girlfriend who was with him even before Facebook.

[/quote]

From what I've read he did get angry and post a bunch of really not nice stuff on the internet, which led to a break-up with some girl. At least, in the book it was written as fact.
Recently I've seen photos of the girl that he says he's been involved with for awhile.
And there IS an intrigue between Asian girls and Jewish men, I've seen the phenomena myself, although my observations are just anecdotal I guess. I've also observed that Italians and the Irish are drawn to each other.

Now the question, does the movie deserve the Oscar ? To me this is a tough question when it came out the same year as The King's Speech and Toy Story 3. Jesse Eisenburg did SUCH a good job of making Zuckerberg both endearing and incredibly annoying!

I’m cautious to take anything from the book as pure fact, as they did not get Mark’s side of the story, only Eduardo Saverin’s, the person who he reported screwed over.

Yes, I have read that some parts of the book were fabricated.
And I feel bad that Eduardo lost a friend that he trusted, but didn't he get something out of it financially? Still, it had to hurt. I didn't feel bad for the Winklevoss twins but I did for Eduardo.

And congratulations to The King's Speech which I am looking forward to seeing as soon as it comes out on DVD!

The reviews of this film, combined with its writer and director, convinced me to buy it on blu-ray before seeing it first. That isn't something I can remember doing with another film, but it absolutely lived up to my expectations. I think it richly deserved all three of its Oscars, especially for Writing (I love Aaron Sorkin's work).

I know it might not be completely accurate, but it tells a fantastic story, and that's what I go to a movie like this for. I'm sure someday we'll have a true documentary about the birth of Facebook, but I don't honestly know if I'll have any interest in it.

Oh I absolutely agree, it was a fantastic movie, with great performances by young Jesse Eisenburg and Andrew Garfield, but I don’t take it for much factual value.

Omigosh, Logic! That’s so funny because normally I will watch a movie ONCE and I’m OVER it…but as I said, I watched it twice, one with the director’s comments and one without, but today at Redbox I found that I was TEMPTED to get it again! I didn’t, but when it comes to netflix I definitely will!
BTW, the internet claims that The King’s Speech will be out on April 29th. And I really want to see that one, too!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.