Social Security paid 1 billion to people with no SSN

“The Social Security Administration paid $1 billion in benefits to individuals who did not have a Social Security Number (SSN), according to a new audit.”

freebeacon.com/issues/feds-paid-1-billion-social-security-benefits-individuals-without-ssn/

oig.ssa.gov/sites/default/files/audit/full/pdf/A-09-16-50159.pdf

This is just the tip of the corrupt DC iceberg. A Billion Here and a Billion There…pretty soon you start talking about “REAL” money.

We live in a world where feelings are more important than facts. If you feel old, you should get a monthly check. That never worked for me, but times have changed.

Fraud, error, or delivery of merited benefits through “representative payees”

“Representative payees play a significant role in many beneficiaries’ lives,” the SSA said. “We have approximately 5.7 million representative payees managing annual benefits for approximately 8 million beneficiaries. When appointing representative payees, we adhere to guidance in the Social Security Act (the Act).”

“Specific to this audit, the Act permits us to appoint, in certain circumstances, an undocumented alien, or applicant who resides outside the United States without a Social Security number (SSN) to serve as payee,” the agency said. “Specifically, the Act states we should verify a person’s SSN (or employer identification number) in our investigation of the payee applicant. However, the Act does not state that the applicant must have an SSN to serve as a payee.”

The “absence of an SSN is not a criterion preventing an individual from serving as payee,” the agency added.

The question is how much due to Fraud and error? $1 Billion is not a small amount of money that could easily be used to fund projects around the nation.

That is a good question, not clearly answered by the article.

Eh. A billion here, a billion there. Who’s counting:eek:

Seeing as people without SSNs pay billions more into the SSA I’d say it’s a great net positive for Social Security.

:rolleyes:
Please read the article.

From the article it seems like these benefits were paid in cases where there were people without SSNs who were serving as representative payees, yes? Not paid directly to the people without SSNs? A representative payee is used in cases when a recipient of SS funds is unable to manage the funds on their own. So if a child is receiving (for example) Social Security death/disability benefits due to the death/disability of one parent or SSI benefits, the parent is (almost always) their representative payee. If an adult is so disabled that they cannot manage their own money, a representative payee can also be appointed for them. Money received by the representative payee must be used only for the beneficiary’s needs – the representative payee can’t spend it on themselves, etc.

Here is the list of preferences for representative payees. secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200502105
Notice that for children, the first preference is always their parent. For adults, the first preference is a spouse, parent or other relative.

So I can easily see why this happens. If you have US citizen children who are receiving SSI or OASDI (death/disability) benefits, and a parent is an undocumented immigrant, the laws establishing preferences for representative payees say that a parent with custody is the first choice of payee, and the law doesn’t say that a representative payee requires an SSN. Etc.

The bigger story here, I think, is that SSA wasn’t even following its own policies by keeping copies of the paper applications of all representative payees without SSNs. That oversight could lead to less ability to track the representative payees or their use of funds, I’d imagine.

Also of note from the report is that in many cases where the SSN wasn’t recorded in the Social Security computer system, the representative payee actually had a valid SSN but Social Security hadn’t recorded it. Of this group, there were many “representative payees” receiving money whom SSA had actually terminated or not selected as payees – an estimated $853 million in benefits wrongly sent to these people who weren’t actually representative payees (or weren’t any longer payees) and actually had valid SSNs.

Trust me, there is plenty of SS fraud, the estimate is that over $100B is wasted through SS fraud there are plenty of people who know how to cheat the system. Mothers who lose their children due to drugs can even collect SSI for PTSD, because of “traumatization” by the loss of children. There’s always an angle, and absolutely no shame if they can get more money. The government has proven to be incompetent with taxpayer money. I don’t even count on receiving SS when I retire and I have a long way to go. The money I put in I’m basically flushing down the drain, losing compounding interest on for the next 40 yrs, had I otherwise invested it in something else, but instead it’s being paid to leeches that haven’t bought into the system. About the only thing that calms me, and just a little, is that there are elderly, who did buy into SS are still alive because of it. But yet they want seniors who are citizens, who worked all their lives and who have paid way more in than they will ever get out, to take cuts in their benefits. And they wonder why the SS fund is running out of money? How can you even collect SS without a work record attached to a SSN? It’s not possible unless the SSA is going along with the fraud. Only in America! Enough is enough.

These are the rules according to the report linked:

SSA is required to obtain the SSNs of representative payee applicants. SSA uses the representative payee’s SSN to (1) verify the payee’s identifying information; (2) determine whether the payee applicant is receiving Old-Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance or Supplemental Security Income; (3) determine whether the applicant is a convicted felon; and (4) determine whether the applicant previously served as a representative payee and has a history of poor payee performance or misuse.”

"An individual’s SSN is required to establish a representative payee in the Electronic Representative Payee System (eRPS). SSA’s automated systems process the representative payee’s information and update the Master Beneficiary (MBR) or Supplemental Security Records (SSR). "

This was the finding of the report:

"224,264 beneficiaries were identified in the current pay status who had an individual representative payee who did not have his/her SSN recorded on the MBR/SSR. "

Representative payees SSNs HAVE to be documented and reported.

SO

This is the government many Catholics want to do the work for our Church in the trenches?

:dts: :blush:

There is a lot of theft going on under the false name of compassion.

Catholics should not support this nor help with the theft, let alone believe they are being Christian in taking part in it.

:clapping:

This post should be framed.

So you claim

I do not see how this many people are able to cheat SS, I helped a friend with some health problems a couple years ago get set up for his retirement and it was crazy the hoops we had to jump thru, it was very tough doing it legitimately, the slightest paperwork mistakes caused snags of every kind during the process.

Correct, if the payee has an SSN. In certain cases (such as parents serving as rep. payees for their children), people without SSNs are permitted to be representative payees. In those cases the Social Security Administration must maintain a copy of their paper application (which contains their other information, their photo ID, etc.) to sufficiently identify the payee and verify those four facts listed above. If they aren’t maintaining copies of those applications when required to do so, I imagine that they are far more likely to lose track of payees or insufficiently identify them.

And considering how many representative payees who do have valid SSNs are being paid improperly, well, I’m sure that there are some other payees being paid improperly too. Not all, but I’m sure there are some.

I have a close relative who receives SSI. It took years and an appeal to obtain SSI (and this relative absolutely should be receiving it). I know there is fraud in the system and that needs to be eliminated. What I don’t know is how to do that, in particular how to do that without cutting off or making it prohibitively difficult for those like my relative who truly do need the support of SSI or OASDI…

I’ve never heard nor have I seen anything in the rules allowing someone who is representative payee to be so, without a SSN, but perhaps that is the case for illegal immigrants who have children who are severely disabled. But why are children of illegal immigrants even entitled to receive SSI or SSDI? Representative payees have to account for the money they receive every so often, although if they are crooked they can very easily lie. It does take time to get SSDI, but there is extensive fraud as well. You can get SSDI for ADHD, obsessive compulsive disorder, extensive bruising among some other ridiculous things, the people who really need it are suffering. The criteria for qualify for SSDI has changed dramatically since the 1980’s. They need to review it and tighten it up. A co-worker of mine had been receiving statements from the SSA indicating how much her benefit check would be when she retired. She discovered on her initial visit to the to the SSA office that someone else was using her name and SSN. SSA said if my co-worker files for benefits first she will receive a check that represents all of her contributions plus those of the stranger using her SSN. But if the stranger files first, my coworker was told she would receive nothing! It’s up to the government to check the information. They need to have investigators at every agency or bring in private companies to investigate because the government can’t be trusted.

Presumably because they’re American citizens.

closed #20

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.