Social workers SEIZE sobbing girl, 6, from her home of five years

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3503460/Girl-six-taken-away-foster-family-five-years-1-5-cent-Native-American-family-white.html

**Social workers seized a hysterical six-year-old girl from the home of her white foster family on Monday because she is part Native American.

The child, Lexi, sobbed, clinging to her foster father Rusty Page as he reluctantly fought through a crowd to hand the child over to the Department of Children and Families in Santa Clarita.

In a disturbing video from KTLA, Lexi screamed, begging Rusty, ‘don’t let them take me away’, as she was removed from her family.**

The article continues at the link.

Now she and her siblings will be traumatized for life.,What a stupid law.

Yeah, it’s a really brutal story. It would be nice if the public outcry were enough to inspire the Choctaw council to reverse their decision. Sorry for mangling the title, by the way.:o

Prayers.

Based on the statements in the article, that is doubtful.

I don’t understand why Americans have such brutal laws against children?

This situation was handled very wrong by everyone involved, but most especially by the foster parents. By orchestrating such a big scene of a very traumatic event, they are the cause of much more trauma. Foster parents know their home is most likely temporary. This family dragged on the process for several years. They were aware for a very long time that they were to hand her over. The tribe is placing her with her relatives including siblings so she can bond with them. The county should have done that to begin with or at least yeas ago. We fostered my entire life. Grew up with multiple foster siblings and love them all. I fostered as an emergency placement home as an adult. We said goodbye to most of them permanently, and all of them temporarily. Some retuned to us as adults. The foster family had no right to act the way they did. The ultimate goal for foster care is to reunite with relatives. That is occurred in this case. If reunion is not possible, adoption is the next step. Foster parents are not guaranteed to adopt any child, and in this case I am ver glad. They used her as a pawn and that is wrong. The whole situation was messed up and of course the adults make the baby girl pay for it. It’s not a stupid law to reunite a child to their siblings and family members.

According to two news stories, Lexi will NOT be living with blood (DNA) relatives, but people in a different state who are not Choctaw nor even Native American.

And what does 1.5% Choctaw mean? It means that ONE of Lexi’s SIXTY-FOUR Great-great-great-great-great grandparents was Choctaw, but that SIXTY-THREE of them weren’t. None of the other 63 may have been Native American. Supposing that four of her 64 Greatx5 Grandparents were Irish, wouldn’t she be more Irish than Choctaw and given to a family with Irish blood? So she is taken away from her family (they WERE her real family) because ONE of her ancestors born in the early 1800’s was Choctaw?

The greatest tragedy here is that they have taken a child, for no good or logical reason, from her family, from people she loved and who loved and cared for her. What irreparable damage this will cause can only be imagined.

The one drop rule seems to be around still.

If the one drop rule were strictly applied, the percentage of Natives in the US would multiply more than tenfold. It is the Oklahoma tribes which decided to use that as their criterion for membership.

Where the government is concerned there is absolutely no common sense. I just hope and pray that she is not placed in a Native American home where alcohol is abused.

It’s governmental lunacy. Now can you understand why so many of us Americans hate big government that seeks absolute control over our lives?

There’s so much more to this story than the headline indicates.

The foster parents fought her removal from their home for more than 3 years. The court had ordered her to be placed with biological relatives, the foster parents hired a lawyer, and they appealed. The fact that the appellate process (that the foster parents started) dragged on for 3 years should not be used as support for their position. And then dragging the media out to her removal just makes the whole situation even more traumatic to the child.

I’m an adoptive parent myself. But let’s be clear – there are situations in which adoption is not appropriate. In this case, the father’s rights haven’t been terminated, and the state has not even tried to do so (and likely doesn’t have grounds for termination, from what the media has said even in the stories that slant in favor of the foster parents). Father is an enrolled member of the Choctaw Nation and requested several years ago that the child be placed with his relatives. ICWA prioritizes placements with biological relatives, then placements with other members of the tribe, for a child who is eligible for membership in a tribe. (Note: each tribe sets its own requirements for membership. So this whole “1.5% Choctaw blood” being bandied about in the media is a red herring, because the Choctaw Nation is sovereign and has the right to decide “how much” Choctaw one has to be in order to be a member of the Choctaw nation.) The court agreed that ICWA applied and ordered that the child be transitioned to father’s relatives.

That would have been the end of it. It could have been a smooth transition, with lengthening visits with the relatives, ongoing contact with foster parents, etc… But the actions of the foster parents prevented that, and made everything more traumatic for the child. Such a sad situation.

Here’s a couple stories Indian Country Today Media Network from 2014, back when this case was in earlier stages of the appellate process. I found them interesting. Perhaps others will as well.

indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/07/08/battle-icwa-goes-california-contested-choctaw-foster-case-155730
indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/07/24/broken-choctaw-father-california-thwarted-custody-battle-foster-couple-156035

Is a person your relative if you have 1/64 of your blood in common? What about the other 63/64?

If the articles previously posted are correct, the father took the step of asking the Choctaw Nation to step in because the State of California would not agree to let the child be returned to him, no matter what hoops he jumped through. She should be with her father.

What AnastasiaRomano posted above contains a good deal of sense.

There are special laws pertaining to adoption of Native American children, and these laws exist for a reason – there were horrendous abuses in the past.

The point isn’t the amount of Native American DNA the child has – it’s that the child’s father is an enrolled member of the tribe. And his parental rights were never terminated.

As someone who has been involved with the foster care system in my state (NY), I can tell you there’s a lot more to this story than meets the eye. My own feeling is that this outcome was inevitable, and the foster parents should never have dragged it out for as long as they did. Although I’m reluctant to post my own experiences as a foster parent on a public message board, I can say that anyone going into the system should be prepared for the fact that they will have the child temporarily. The objective of the system is always to return the child to his or her parents, or to a relative if that proves impossible. And there’s another layer of regulation where Native American tribes are involved.

She is being placed in a home with her biological sibling and near the home of another biological sibling. She should have been there from the beginning

Exactly. Three years ago it should have happened if not longer than that. The foster family should never be allowed to foster again after traumatizing this girl the way they did and using her as a ploy in the media. It was very wrong of them. Relatives by marriage count just as much as blood relatives because that is how relationships work in life. But she’s now with her siblings. That is most important here.

I’ve said goodbye to far too many foster kids throughout my life. There is no reason to add to the pain like they did. It’s plain wrong. I know it’s hard on the family but that’s the nature of foster care. I’m glad the girl is reuniting with her siblings and they should be as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.