Society of Jesus

Every now and again one reads a story about the Jesuits that is just so “out there” that you have to wonder if they are still Catholic. The obituary for Cyril Barrett, S.J. is just such a piece. All of this makes me wonder, just how far can a Catholic order, like the Jesuits, go before we simply say “these folks are not Catholic any more”?

Gee Greg,

painting with an awfully broad brush aren’t we?

Dear Dan,

No doubt that I am. Clearly there are plenty of good Jesuits (one thinks right away of Cardinal Dulles and Fr. Fessio) and good Jesuit endevors (e.g. La Civiltá Cattolica). On the other hand, there is also no shortage of Jesuit whackos (just think of America, Boston College, Georgetown and the Jesuit Urban Center in Boston). My intentionally provocative statement was meant to serve as a point of departure for a discussion of what is the appropriate response to a barrel in which not all but certainly more than just a few of the apples are rotten. The Jesuits do a lot of good work from a Catholic perspective, but from that same Catholic perspective they also do a lot of harm. Assuming that they are not yet to the point where the order needs simply to be suppressed, how would we know when they (or some other order) needs to be suppressed? At what point do we say “this is not Catholic anymore”?

Don’t forget Father Mitch Pacwa at EWTN! :thumbsup:

Don’t the Jesuits take a special oath of allegiance to the Pope? It seems to me that about 20 years ago when the Jesuits were big into Liberation Theology or something like that, the Pope called their Superior General into the papal office and read him the riot act and made them change some things.

But my memory is vague as to just what the problem was and what changes were required.

These days, the Pope probably isn’t kept up to date on a lot of the news. :frowning:

[quote=Ray Marshall]Don’t forget Father Mitch Pacwa at EWTN!

[/quote]

Amen! He is everything a Jesuit should be!

http://www.chnetwork.org/mitch.jpg

[quote=Ray Marshall]Don’t forget Father Mitch Pacwa at EWTN! :thumbsup:

Don’t the Jesuits take a special oath of allegiance to the Pope?
[/quote]

Only a selected group of Jesuits have “the fourth vow” (to the Pope), and it is not generally known among them who those men are (at least that is what a Jesuit friend told me some years ago).

Ya gotta be careful with Jesuits. There seem to be two Societies of Jesus . . . :rolleyes:

Oh what the heck, seeing as this is turning into a Fr. Pacwa tribute thread, I will chime in and say that I also think that Fr. Pacwa is wonderful. :slight_smile:

Greg,

ok, to be more conspiratorial, why did you put this on the non-catholic religions section, buddy :wink: ?

Gosh, Dan, I thought that I had made that obvious. The question is, “how far does the Society of Jesus need to go before we count it as a non-Catholic religion?”. If it seems kind of goofy, that is because I meant it that way. :wink:

I asked Father Fessio about the problems with the Jesuits and he said they are totally corrupt. He also mentioned a plan to get them back on track. Does anyone know what he’s talking about or where are the good Jesuits coming from?

[quote=mercygate]Ya gotta be careful with Jesuits. There seem to be two Societies of Jesus . . . :rolleyes:
[/quote]

It has appeared in many of our orders; like some kind of an “infecton” which has produced a virus throughout the Church. The church itself appears to have a group trying to run a “parallel” magesterium, some of the usual suspects appear in media regularly. The difference for the SJ’s is that Martin chronicled their fall in his book The Jesuits. After reading it, much is made clear.

[quote=oat soda]]I asked Father Fessio about the problems with the Jesuits and he said they are totally corrupt.
[/quote]

I don’t wish to appear rude but simply to pass on a suggestion; if someone confides a personal opinion to you, perhaps it would be wise not to publicly broadcast it to the world attributing the quote.

Fr. Fessio has had so much to deal with, that in kindness, we ought to spare him any more. Sometimes as Malachy Martin said, “we know what we know because we know it”.

Back about 50 years ago when I was in the Air Force and taking instruction ( I was a convert at 23) at a big Church in a CA town a visiting Jesuit sang the High Mass. It so impressed me that started reading all I could about the Society of Jesus.

Some 6 years later after learning quite a bit about the Order I was confirmed. I chose IGNATIAS for my confirmation name, I still ask him to pray for me. St. Francis was one of the greatest of great Saints. This Francis was Ignio’s first convert.

Correct me if you will, but, Jesuits are not under the authority of the local Bishop; they answer to Rome. So that may be the explaination for some attitudes and behavior.

if someone confides a personal opinion to you, perhaps it would be wise not to publicly broadcast it to the world attributing the quote.

does calling the jesuits corrupt come to a shock to anyone?

Actually most of the orders have a “house provincial” who reports to the province (region) and then to the Father General.

for self-promotion by a Boston Jesuit, check out the liturgical dance poll on the liturgy forum.

[quote=Dan-Man916]Gee Greg,

painting with an awfully broad brush aren’t we?
[/quote]

A jesuit (very orthodox) in Dublin was instrumental in my reception into full communion with the Church. I also heard a sermon by a jesuit when I was in the US that I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming (very unorthodox!)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.