Sodom and Gomorrah

Does anyone feel that we are living in a time similar to Sodom and Gomorrah? What are your thoughts?:frighten:

From where I stand the world at large is turning into a freak show.
Mankind seems to have lost it’s collective mind.

In every government, whether big or small, corruption and malfeasance are the rule, and day by day each and every government is becoming more heavyhanded and hateful towards personal liberties.

War is promoted in every corner of the planet, for the most absurd reasons.

The “arts” promote death and perversion.

The media have become propaganda houses that spread lies and nonsense 24/7.

The whole rediculous mess is sickening.

Hello doubtThomas - I am currently reading the Four Witnesses: The Early Church in Her Own Words by Rod Bennett and I see many similarities to our world now and to the world the first Christians lived in.

The good news - the Church has not only survived, but has grown! The Holy Spirit has guided the Church for 2,000 years and will continue to do.:thumbsup:

A very good thought to keep forfront in our minds! As scripture says, There is nothing new under the sun. Compared to our recent history, things are looking very dark, but we know from history that mankind has before been lead into great sin and depravity.

For those who follow the Church and the Holy Spirit (hopefully all of us), we pray to see the glory of God!

[quote="doubtThomas, post:1, topic:305787"]
Does anyone feel that we are living in a time similar to Sodom and Gomorrah? What are your thoughts?:frighten:

[/quote]

actually it's much worse than s & g and the end of the world is imminent.........what with church officials competing with society in a rape-show!

Well, that wasn’t very nice. :frowning:

What exactly does that mean? Can you flesh that out a little?

It is very possible that we are living in times comparable or similar to Sodom and Gomorrah. With all that is going on in the world - with the growth of secularism in many people’s lives, with the messages that people are obtaining and growing with that come from certain parts of television, music, and even parts of government (laws that are being passed by the liberal left), and so on.

What also strikes me, is that certain things that were before considered sin and an abomination to God, are now being considered to be normal. This is something to really think about. Let’s look at the world today vs 50 years ago, for example. Then let’s take that and compare it to 50 more years back, and so on…

Whether or not we are living in a time similar to Sodom and Gomorrah, one thing is for sure. And that is that the Catholic Church will still be standing in the end. The gates of hell will not prevail against her.

“And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18) Douay-Rheims Bible

Remember when the Lord said these words in Matthew 16:18. We must do our part, always speak the truth, fight for what is right and trust in the Lord.

[quote="Marie1234, post:6, topic:305787"]
Well, that wasn't very nice.
I agree that wasn't very nice but unfortunately i see where wisedom is coming from.:sad_yes::sad_yes:

[/quote]

Remember, the church has always gained strength from suffering. She will again. I read the end of the book, We win!!!!! But it'll be pain and suffering until then. :thumbsup:

I think we are going to out do it this time around. In the next couple of generations,
espeically with the power of the internet for perverts and the "enlightend"
did I spell that right?

[quote="wisedom, post:5, topic:305787"]
actually it's much worse than s & g and the end of the world is imminent.........what with church officials competing with society in a rape-show!

[/quote]

We are all called to holiness. Those that fall into mortal sin are forgiven if they repent even those who have committed heinous crimes such as murder and rape. However, we still have to turn away from sin...as Christ says, "go and sin no more".

[quote="nguemo, post:9, topic:305787"]
Well, that wasn't very nice.
I agree that wasn't very nice but unfortunately i see where wisedom is coming from.:sad_yes::sad_yes:

[/quote]

I don't can you explain what he meant?

I don’t think any creator of any universe would care what a bunch of advanced primates do with their naughty bits.

[/quote]

It's a BRAVE NEW WORLD :D

[/quote]

Was there any time that the world was without scandal?

As another user pointed out, the big difference between normal times tainted with scandal and end-times which resemble today, is the complete nullification of the very idea of sin. People have always sinned, yes, but only in times like today do people try to normalize sin, refusing to believe that there is anything wrong with it. Even when prostitution ran rampant in the colonial days, it was taboo, because it was understood to be wrong. People still know it’s wrong of course, but their hatred for God has grown so deep that they are throwing out his laws entirely, and telling their children that there’s nothing wrong with indulging in good ol, pleasurable, fattening sin.

[quote="CollegeStinks, post:17, topic:305787"]
As another user pointed out, the big difference between normal times tainted with scandal and end-times which resemble today, is the complete nullification of the very idea of sin. People have always sinned, yes, but only in times like today do people try to normalize sin, refusing to believe that there is anything wrong with it. Even when prostitution ran rampant in the colonial days, it was taboo, because it was understood to be wrong. People still know it's wrong of course, but their hatred for God has grown so deep that they are throwing out his laws entirely, and telling their children that there's nothing wrong with indulging in good ol, pleasurable, fattening sin.

[/quote]

That is because information, education and human rights liberate man from the shackles of ancient thought, belief, religion and culture.

Does God still punish nations for sin?

Why wouldn't God punish America for abortion and gay marriage?

You know the answer. Don’t be afraid.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.