Sola Scriptura Can non lego Can non agnosco

While the Protestant population is preaching in Africa, China and various places around the world spreading the message with the Bible alone...it is futile...right here the problem exists that Sola Scriptura is a problem of what you got you don't read and don't understand...

I was reading Christianity today and found this..

christianitytoday.com/ct/2010/may/25.38.html

Why Johnny Can't Read the Bible

Most Americans—including Scripture-loving evangelicals—cannot name the disciples, the Ten Commandments, or the first book of the Bible. But that's not our biggest biblical illiteracy problem.

What was fascinating was at the end of the article I found this link...

christianitytoday.com/ct/2010/january/22.64.html?start=1

How the Early Church Read the Bible
The church fathers show us how to read Scripture imaginatively.

The Fathers also understood the interpretation of Scripture to require the reader's participation in the spiritual reality of the text. Thus, it is not enough to say that Christ was crucified. We must also say, "I am crucified with Christ," and thus also, "I am raised with Christ."

Sola Scriptura...that is all we need...however you have to be able to understand what you read....guess what? What is old is new...There is nothing new under the sun.:thumbsup:

29Then the Spirit said to Philip, “Go up and join this chariot.” 30Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?” 31And he said, “Well, how could I, unless someone guides me?” And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him.

So the problem is all we need is a Bible...and where do you go to find how to read and understand it...to the Church....

Comments? Thoughts?

I came across this in a recent discussion with a Bible only believer; surprisingly they didn't have much to say to counter Paul's words ;)

1 Corinthians 15:1-2 1 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast [a]the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.

In 1st Corinthians Paul has already visited the people at Corinth, and sometime after his personal visit he wrote this letter to the Corinthians. So in the past Paul visited the people personally without a written New Testament to share among the people, and he said that the people at Corinth are saved by the gospel that he orally preached to them, as long as they did not receive it in vain. So here Paul is, on a mission from God Almighty, and he is plainly and explicitly stating that these people at Corinth are saved if they follow and accept his teachings on Jesus; what a profound statement.

Paul is following Jesus' command that was taught to the original 11 at the end of Matthew, to preach the Gospel to the world. That was God's plan then, and unless the Bible states that people can no longer be saved by orally hearing the truth of the Gospel; it must be God's plan now as well.

Acts 17:10-11 10 The brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea, [j]and when they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, [k]for they received the word with [l]great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

Another example of God's plan that has not changed as of yet. The Bereans received the word orally taught by Paul and Silas in the synagogue, and they examined scriptures daily in their spare time to see if what they were taught by Paul and Silas contradicted infallible scripture. This is exactly how the Catholic Church has operated throughout time. Catholic Tradition cannot contradict scripture since it is perfect in every way, but everything about God and his ways is not written in scripture either.

Coptic,

Parentes accipient de possessione minus validum est enim et non fecerunt?

Uti quod recte aliter non est materia.

Caritate debemus accipere Ecclesiae filii prodigi. Ostendit hoc fieri non continuo ulterius pro virtutibus vitia.

Patienter amare dicimur, non in furore et in condemnationem.

Post omnes, qui esse unbiblical. Et quidem contra nolo libro de Ecclesia facimus

Pax cum te.

[quote="Isaiah45_9, post:3, topic:281919"]
Coptic,

Parentes accipient de possessione minus validum est enim et non fecerunt?

Uti quod recte aliter non est materia.

Caritate debemus accipere Ecclesiae filii prodigi. Ostendit hoc fieri non continuo ulterius pro virtutibus vitia.

Patienter amare dicimur, non in furore et in condemnationem.

Post omnes, qui esse unbiblical. Et quidem contra nolo libro de Ecclesia facimus

Pax cum te.

[/quote]

È importante accettare questo. Sono conforme. Senza certa autorità ci è caos. Come genitori siamo responsabili dell' alimentazione dei nostri bambini, del occuparsi dei nostri bambini e dell' istruzione dei nostri bambini. La situazione triste con quelle che pensano che la bibbia sia magica è che la magia è trovata con consiglio.

Pace :)

[quote="Kc906, post:2, topic:281919"]
Acts 17:10-11 10 The brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea, [j]and when they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, [k]for they received the word with [l]great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

Another example of God's plan that has not changed as of yet. The Bereans received the word orally taught by Paul and Silas in the synagogue, and they examined scriptures daily in their spare time to see if what they were taught by Paul and Silas contradicted infallible scripture. This is exactly how the Catholic Church has operated throughout time. Catholic Tradition cannot contradict scripture since it is perfect in every way, but everything about God and his ways is not written in scripture either.

[/quote]

I notice that most "bible christians" emphasize this verse, but misunderstand what was referenced as noble. They are said to be "more noble" because they received the CHURCH with eagerness. They welcomed Paul and Silas and the Word of God that was preached authoritatively to them. Yes, they did examine the scriptures in the light of what they heard, but they had an attitude of openness to what was brought to them first.

[quote="guanophore, post:5, topic:281919"]
I notice that most "bible christians" emphasize this verse, but misunderstand what was referenced as noble. They are said to be "more noble" because they received the CHURCH with eagerness. They welcomed Paul and Silas and the Word of God that was preached authoritatively to them. Yes, they did examine the scriptures in the light of what they heard, but they had an attitude of openness to what was brought to them first.

[/quote]

Amen,

This is the same point that is brought out by Sungenis in "Not by Scripture alone"....:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.