Sola Scriptura: How much of the Bible must be read for a person to be saved?

Sola Scripturists believe that Salvation is necessarily linked to reading the Bible – in some way. Which way that is I will leave up to you to explain. Fair enough?

:slight_smile:

So you are reading along in the Bible and suddenly you believe you are saved. How much did you read – where were you in the Bible – when this happened?

Were you on your first read-through or – truthfully now – were you even reading the Bible at all when this happened?

What has been your direct experience of Salvation and Sola Scriptura?

:bible1: :heart:

Not true.

I certainly haven’t done any scientific polling, but from conversations with my Protestant friends (the ones who believe in SS and OSAS), it seems as though most people are “saved” during a religious service or revival rather than when they were reading the Scriptures. Of course this may be just the ones that I know and most people’s experience is different…

In the Protestant view, what is the relationship between the bible and salvation?

(yes, I know there is really no such thing as the Protestant view)

If there is no such thing as the Protestant view, than why ask the question?

You seriously didn’t understand the intent of my question?

OK, in Calvinator’s view, what is the relationship between the bible and salvation?

Reading the scriptures isn’t going to merit justification.

OK, you obviously don’t want to answer my question. I can’t imagine why not, but so be it.

Would any non-Catholic Christian like to tell me what they understand to be the relationship between the bible and salvation?

Or is this some kind of a no-no to ask non-Catholic Christians?

I answered the question. I clearly said reading the scriptures isn’t going to merit justification.

The OP seems to be operating under the misconception that justification is somehow “necessarily” linked to reading the scriptures.

I guess this isn’t the answer you wanted?

According to many Protestants, you don’t even have to read the Bible at all. The essence of the Bible can be explained orally, using the scripture known as ‘speech’ or ‘mental imaging with linguistic signs’ (otherwise known as ‘thought’). That’s how the salvation of U.S. slaves in the 19th century was defined. Slaves were prohibited from reading, but they could be encouraged to attend church and listen to sermons. (That is, listen to approved sermons, since some sermons invoked the Exodus of the Hebrews from Egyptian slavery – that story just cut too close to home:D.)

That’s not an answer. An answer would begin something like “The relationship between the bible and salvation is …”

That’s easy.

One verse.

Romans 10:9.

I call it the “Romans 10:9 Gospel” :slight_smile:

i think you are starting with a slightly erroneous view of the erronesous doctrine of “sola scriptura”. as i understand it, it means, “scripture is our sole authority,” rather than, “you have to read the bible to be saved.” i can see how they are definitely related, but i do think you are asking the wrong question.

i think two better questions to ask an “SS-ite” would be:

#1 - where in scripture is “sola scriptura” taught? and,

#2 - how did the early church get along for so many years (actually almost 4 centuries) without an official “bible”?

and then i suppose you would have to ask the third question:

#3 - and when the Church DID finally compile an official bible in the late 4th century, in the protestant view it still was not the “right” bible until over 1,000 years later when the protestants “corrected” it by shortening it. so, even when the early church did have the entire bible, it still was not the right one in the eyes of the protestant.

how then was anyone saved until protest-antism came around…and further, who or what was the “sole authority” until the shorter bible appeared?

in Christ,

doh!

i just now looked at the date of these earlier posts…and they’re a couple years old! sorry, if nobody is on this thread anymore…

LOL jay,

i think you are starting with a slightly erroneous view of the erronesous doctrine of “sola scriptura”. as i understand it, it means, “scripture is our sole authority,” rather than, “you have to read the bible to be saved.”

I agree with you jay, Sola Scriptura is the idea of Scripture Alone, that we recieve no teachings or Authority OUTSIDE of scripture, which in itself is very unbiblical, its ironic how protestants accept the Catholic Church’s authority of the Bible, as in the Catholic church said the Bible IS the Bible, yet they reject the church’s authority regarding anything else.

Hi,

I was saved sitting in a church service and it was like a lightbulb went off.
Now, I had heard the gospel message many times before this, I just chose not to believe it totally. God’s timing:D

I have heard that it takes people 10 ten times of **hearing(**not reading)the gospel message before they actually believe it.

Besides, if you do not have the HS in you first, reading the bible is going to be a futile task for you. We need the HS to help us understand biblical truths otherwise it just doesnt make sense.:shrug: Of course that is not to say God couldnt guide that person to a part in scripture and give them the understanding. Anything is possible with God:thumbsup:

So, I would say most people I know have become saved through hearing. Then they delve into the bible to start to learn on the details of christianity. That is pretty much what happened to me.:thumbsup:

[quote=jaytadly]i think you are starting with a slightly erroneous view of the erronesous doctrine of “sola scriptura”. as i understand it, it means, “scripture is our sole authority,” rather than, “you have to read the bible to be saved.” i can see how they are definitely related, but i do think you are asking the wrong question.
[/quote]

I think I was quite flexible in the OP as to how each of you may define Sola Scriptura and how each of you may explain your understanding of Sola Scriptura.

First of all, I do not understand the distinction you make between “scripture is our sole authority” and “you have to read the bible to be saved.”

Is Scripture not text? If it is, then let us ask ourselves the question: What does text do? The answer which comes first to mind is that text communicates. Right?

So, then how does it communicate? I was assuming that it has to be read in order for it to communicate. Was I wrong?

Now perhaps I was wrong to assume that the Bible has to be read for us to know what it says. Are you suggesting that folks do not have to know what the Bible says in order to be saved?

How else can we saved then? By touching the Bible? Standing in the same room as the Bible? Looking at the pages of the Bible without knowing how to read?

[quote=jaytadly]#1 - where in scripture is “sola scriptura” taught? and,
[/quote]

If you would like to ask that question, then you have the option of responding to any of the other numerous threads in this forum or starting a new thread. As it stands, this question came up in another thread. Because I have literally never heard this question discussed before, I thought I would like to find out what folks think on it.

[quote=jaytadly]#2 - how did the early church get along for so many years (actually almost 4 centuries) without an official “bible”?
[/quote]

Again, that was not the question I asked in the OP.

[quote=jaytadly] and then i suppose you would have to ask the third question:

#3 - and when the Church DID finally compile an official bible in the late 4th century, in the protestant view it still was not the “right” bible until over 1,000 years later when the protestants “corrected” it by shortening it. so, even when the early church did have the entire bible, it still was not the right one in the eyes of the protestant.

[/quote]

What you have proposed is quite plausible. But it is not the approach I proposed in the OP.

[quote=jaytadly]how then was anyone saved until protest-antism came around…and further, who or what was the “sole authority” until the shorter bible appeared?
[/quote]

Again, quite plausible, but not the approach taken by the OP. I understand what you are saying and I am not disagreeing with it. I am merely asking folks to think through the questions posed in the OP.

They are not questions which I posed whimsically. I believe thinking through these questions might be very productive. For me at least.

So just wondering if we could stay on topic. OK? Thank you.

Romans 10: 17 Faith comes by hearing the Word of God

[quote=ALLFORHIM]Hi, I was saved sitting in a church service and it was like a lightbulb went off. Now, I had heard the gospel message many times before this, I just chose not to believe it totally. God’s timing:D

[/quote]

Reading the Bible or hearing it read makes no difference to me: both require reading. Would you agree?

Can you tell us if you had heard the entire Bible read before the lightbulb went off? Or parts of the Bible? And, if parts, then which parts?

Also, was your experience cumulative? Or binary?

[quote=ALLFORHIM]I have heard that it takes people 10 ten times of **hearing(**not reading)the gospel message before they actually believe it.
[/quote]

Plausible. Learning often depends on repetition.

[quote=ALLFORHIM]Besides, if you do not have the HS in you first, reading the bible is going to be a futile task for you.
[/quote]

Is having the HS in us equivalent to being saved? If so, at what point in our journey does the HS reside in us? Do we have a choice in the matter? If we have a choice in the matter, then what persuades a person to let the HS in?

[quote=ALLFORHIM] We need the HS to help us understand biblical truths otherwise it just doesnt make sense.:shrug:
[/quote]

Thank you for this insight.

[quote=ALLFORHIM] Of course that is not to say God couldnt guide that person to a part in scripture and give them the understanding. Anything is possible with God:thumbsup:
[/quote]

HS is God, right?

[quote=ALLFORHIM]So, I would say most people I know have become saved through hearing.
[/quote]

Hearing the Bible, right? The whole Bible? Or parts? If parts, then which ones?

[quote=ALLFORHIM] Then they delve into the bible to start to learn on the details of christianity. That is pretty much what happened to me.
[/quote]

Thank you. :slight_smile:

And the Word of God is… ?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.