Sola Scriptura - Where is that in the Bible?

Hello,

Where in the Bible does it say that the Bible is the ***only ***authority? Where is Bible-only in the the Bible?

It’s not. The doctrine of sola scriptura is nothing but a false man-made tradition with no grounding whatsoever in either scripture or history. :wink:

Yours in Christ
Joe

1. All Scripture is given by the inspiration of God and useful for reproof and correction of error (2 Timothy 3:16). Since Scripture is used to correct and reprove then it must be the authoritative standard by which everything else is judged for its truthfulness.

2. Jesus said, “Scripture cannot be broken” (John 10:34). The character of God is on the line. "God is not a man that He should lie… and hath He spoken, and shall He not make it good (Numbers 23:19). Submitting to the authority of God’s revealed word will guide us in His perfect will.

3. Christ used the authority of Scripture to rebuke Satan’s attempt to deceive Him (Matthew 4:1-11). He gave prepositional statements to accurately convey the truth that Satan attempted to distort. Jesus was our perfect model for rebuking deception.

4. Jesus used the authority of Scriptures to rebuke false teachers (Matthew 22:29). The only way false teachers can be confronted and exposed is in the power of God’s Word.

5. Repentant sinners are saved by hearing and believing the Word (Ephesians 1:13-14). The integrity of the Gospel must be maintained and proclaimed for true conversions (Gal. 1:6-9).

6. Jesus prayed for Christians to be sanctified (set apart) by the truth of His Word (John 17:17). Christians must separate themselves from apostates and false teachers (2 Cor. 6:14-17). God uses His word to divide and to show which people have His approval (1 Cor. 11:19).

7. One must look to the authority of Scripture to be set free from religious deception and become a disciple of Christ (John 8:31-32). Those who follow the traditions and teachings of men remain in legalistic bondage and are often led astray.

8. Christ rebuked the religious leaders for nullifying the Word of God with their tradition (Mark 7:13). Any tradition or teaching that nullifies the Scriptures must be exposed and renounced so others will not be deceived (Eph. 5:11).

johnankerberg.com/Articles/roman-catholicism/RC0901W2.htm

All I see is a lot of “scripture is good”, “scripture is useful”, “scripture is profitable”, and “scripture is inspired”. I don’t think anyone is questioning those facts.

Also why do you consider it such proof when Jesus, a teacher Himself uses scripture. What a shock, a Jewish rabbi using scripture…oh the humanity.

Catholic priests use scripture everyday both in the context of liturgy and teaching but that certainly doesn’t make them right in your eyes. :shrug:

Yours in Christ
Joe

Hello,

It says all Scripture is inspired - but it doesn’t say only Scripture is inspired and it doesn’t tell you what Scripture is. How do we know that all the Scriptures are in what we call the Bible or that all the books in it are truly inspired? Where is the list in the Bible? And when Saint Paul wrote that, a majority of the New Testament had even been written yet, so how could Christians know that the new writings fell into this category.

Saint Paul tells us to hold fast to the traditions he has given them, whether by written word or orally (2 Thess. 2:15). We need both the Sacred Scriptures and Sacred Tradition.

Jesus Christ never wrote a book. Why wouldn’t He personally pen what needed to be written? He never commanded His Apostles to write either, but to preach.

Saint John tells us that Jesus did and taught many things that are not written. (John 21:25)

As for traditions of men: catholic.com/library/Scripture_and_Tradition.asp

OK, you get to believe as you choose. God bless you richly.

Hello,

catholic.com/thisrock/2004/0409fea3.asp

Hello,

THE PRACTICAL PROBLEMS OF SOLA SCRIPTURA
by James Akin

Namesake,

Nowhere in your list of quotes does it say that the Bible alone is all a believer needs. Furthermore when the “Bible” talks about “Sciptures,” it is referring to the Old Testament alone. Finally, where on earth do you inter that the “Word of God” means the Bible alone?

Just to have a little fun…Protestants and Catholics use the word Trinity to describe the God-Head, yet that word is not found in Scripture, yet we hold to that doctrine. For those of us who believe in the Rapture, that word is not in the Bible either, so do we have to dismiss its use also? Just asking…

This is a common one, No?

I believe the protestant perspective of this is, they have no confidence in the leaders of the Church to be an authority so they fall back on the one thing they know is infallible, the Bible, and then embrace it. (Unfortunately though, we Catholics would argue this will lead to interpretation conflict)

The reasoning for a protestant, I think, is that the leaders of the Church (in whatever time period) have erred in upholding doctrine, and that nullifies any authority they had, which leaves, Tada! - the Bible. So, ultimately it comes down to doctrine.

We might disagree, but it all comes down to the fact that they disagree with Catholic theology I think. If all Catholic theology was correct in their eyes, they would probably give more credence to the leaders of the Church being an authority.

Protestant brothers and sisters, am I wrong?

I must be charitable enough to assume that your “inter” means infer, OK?

The Bible doesn’t infer. The Bible is clear. I have posted on this site many references to the scriptural origins of Sola Scriptura. It is your responsibility to ferret out that stuff.

Sola Scriptura means that all that is needed for salvation can be found in the scriptures. If you are Catholic you don’t believe that. Because I believe that I am Protestant.

lol. exactly who’s side are you on? This is a pretty common Catholic argument. Except for the rapture business, but Trinity, Yes!

I actually am Protestant who is studying the Catholic faith, and I have learned to debate both points, so I do have some fun.

Do you believe this argument has validity pertaining to the general protestant rejection of the Church, specifically the leaders of the Church, dictating doctrine (the Trinity argument), or are you being the devil’s advocate?

Devil’s advocate has always been a great tool to get a discussion going, but mostly i made the argument because once again we are getting stuck on the “That’s not in the Bible” argument. My brother who is very anti-Catholic says to me “The word Pope is not in the Bible so how can there be a Pope”? Again, the exact wording of doctrines does not have to be in the Bible for us to form a doctrine. The word Catholic is not in the Bible, yet nobody argues that we should not use that word when describing the Church. Because Sola Scriptura is not found in Scripture, don’t dismiss the doctrine so readily. You may not believe it, but don’t use the above argument to prove your point.

A Catholic will never argue that since a word is not in the Bible it can’t be true.

:rotfl: You’re right … either that or I head death on the mind.

quote=Namesake;3371010]
The Bible doesn’t infer. The Bible is clear. I have posted on this site many references to the scriptural origins of Sola Scriptura. It is your responsibility to ferret out that stuff.

With all due respect, all you’ve shown is that the Bible is worthy for use in teaching and learning. … and that personal interpretation leads to a plethora of ideas that weren’t part of the early church.

The Bible NEVER says that it alone is the root of all truth for a follower of Christ. Nay, when the writers if the books of the New Testament refer to the “Scriptures,” they are referring only to the Old Testament, as there was not a Christian canon of Scriptures yet. The fact that that didn’t happen for 400 years negates the belief in Sola Scriptura.

And yes, the Bible is clear – the CHURCH is the pillar of truth.

quote=Namesake;3371010]
Sola Scriptura means that all that is needed for salvation can be found in the scriptures. If you are Catholic you don’t believe that. Because I believe that I am Protestant.

As a Catholic, I know that the Church was here for 400 years before the Christian Bible. As a Catholic, I know that the Scriptures and Oral Traditions of the Church were placed on equal footing (for example, 2 Thess. 2:14-15 and 2 Tim. 2:1-2). As a Catholic I know that everything that Christ taught is not contained in the Bible. (John 20:30-31 and 21:25). As a Catholic, I know that Christ never told His followers to write down a single thing – He commissioned His Apostles to teach the faith, to be active in converting the masses. He did not tell them to write a book and pass it out to people in order that they might believe. As a Catholic, I know the the Bible is sacred … but it is the daughter of the Church.

For those reasons, I left Protestantism in 1993. Praise be to God.

I think it is safe to say the protestants hold to the Bible above man because it is the Word of God, and it is inspired by God. Man is capable of sin, even if they are formed into a collective body (i.e, the church). We just put more emphasis on Christ and what He said than anything else. That’s not to mock Catholic tradition. Sola Scriptura just makes sense to us since it is the word that was spread before any written documents appear outlining a formal church. Again, that’s just an explanation, a quick answer to the question and not an attack.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.