Sola scriptura

I have gotten myself into a friendly argument about sola scriptura with a teacher of mine. She says that the Church hasn’t the right to tell people what they can and can’t do if since isn’t in the Bible. Any suggestions?

Yes. Ask her where the Bible says that.

What mission did Christ give to His Disciples? -He gave them the power to teach with the help of the Holy Spirit which was given at Pentecost. He did not tell them to go and write a book… The early Church had no other means to teach than to tell people by mouth In the first century of Christianity there was no such thing as the Bible - the Apostles were preaching directly as they had learnt from Christ, and following this, Tradition became essential to the survival of Christianity - and St Paul tells us to hold on to Traditions. I wonder who your teacher thinks gave the world the Bible - it was the Catholic Church, so she must, by rational deduction, necessarily have faith in the power of the Church to teach, since the Church decided which books were divinely inspired and which were not. It wasn’t until the late 4th century at Hippo & Carthage that the Church gave us the Bible as we know it today - a New Testament with 27 Books. Does your teacher not ask who gave the Church the right to discount other Gospels and writings? She probably wouldn’t dare, because she would have to either renounce her faith in the Bible altogether or admit that it was the Holy Spirit which was given to the Church to teach and guide the followers of Christ… And furthermore, it was the Spirit which Christ promised would remain with His Church until the end of time.

:thumbsup:

Ask her what the pillar and foundation of truth is?

How does a person acquire faith? Is it by reading the bible? In Romans 10:14-17 this is written, “How then are they to call upon him whom they have not believed? But how are they to believe him whom they have not heard? And how are they to hear, if no one preaches? And how are men to preach unless they be sent? As it is written, How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace; of those who bring glad tidings of good things! For Isaias says, Lord, who has believed our report? Faith then depends on hearing, and hearing on the word of Christ.

It would be good to ask sola scriptura the question, “From whom did he hear his faith?” If he has not heard it from another, meaning he acquired it only through personal readings, then by the above passage, his faith would not stand.

So how do I tell her that it’s okay that our Church can make up the rules and tell people what they can and can’t do… I know that I believe that it can, but she doesn’t.:frowning: So what exactly gives the Church such feasibility? Please, specify*** with flowery ***details! **

Matthew 16:18-19 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Jesus is giving Peter AUTHORITY, and this authority has been passed down for 2000 years, and is now in the hands of Benedict XVI.

Without authority, no decisions can be made, and that is why there are thousands of different Protestant denominations today. The Bible is not self interperating. Just ask protestants what their views are on any controversial issue (ABC, divorce/remarriage) and they will all give you different answers while citing scripture to support it, each person claiming that the Holy Spirit has led them to that conclusion, and meanwhile there is only one right answer.

If she doesn’t believe you, then just pray for her. Don’t make it your problem anymore. Give the task to God. :highprayer:

Tell her it’s a Catholic book. Shouldn’t the Catholic church be able to tell people what things mean in they’re own book.

Well, first I need to convince her it’s a Catholic book. And I really don’t want to be caught swimming upstream without a paddle when I’m speaking with her.

Oh, believe you me, I have been. But I’m gonna keep on doing it. It isn’t like me to not do anything about something… but I always will pray.

I’ll try to tell her that… she thinks that people have their own choice on that matter… (she teaches Euro, eh) I’ve got a book I lent her, but she says she’s going to be to be too busy to read it.(She was interested whenever I first gave it to her, but she stopped reading it after a while) I don’t know if it’s true or not, but I’ll try the best I can to convince her, but I don’t know

Ask if Peter our first Pope ever taught infalliby on faith and morals. If the answer is no. Remind them of 1 and 2 Peter in the Bible. If Peter taught at least twice infallibly, there could have been more times.

(Mat 18:17-18) If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church. If he refuses to listen even to the church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector. Amen, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. the Church (not Scripture) is the final authority on questions of the faith. This demands infallibility when teaching the faith. She must be prevented from teaching error in order to lead her members to the fullness of salvation.

Peace,

Ryan :slight_smile:

If she has a genuine interest in the subject, you might give her copies of these excellent articles:

catholic.net/RCC/Periodicals/Dossier/0304-96/anarchy.html
lrc.edu/rel/blosser/Sola.htm
geocities.com/militantis/solascriptura.html
cin.org/users/james/files/private.htm
catholic.com/thisrock/2004/0409fea3.asp
matt1618.freeyellow.com/2tim316.html
fisheaters.com/solascriptura.html

Blessings,

Don
+T+

"Likewise you younger members be subject to the presbyters…"
1Peter 5:5

This is like the Jews in the OT complaining about Moses telling them what they can and can’t do. “Thats not on the ten commandments Moses”

…sounds like her. She follows Joel Osteen, who is essentially a Unitarian. He drives me MAD.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.