Solar roads are more practical than they sound

In August 1901, after a difficult month testing their glider in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, Wilbur Wright was inclined to give up. On the train back to Dayton, Ohio, he told his brother Orville that “not within a thousand years would man ever fly.”

theweek.com/article/index/262486/solar-roads-are-more-practical-than-they-sound

There’s a new invention out called Solar Roadways which could reduce emissions from electricity plants by 75%. It sounds really interesting. However, it does have some drawbacks. Check out the article for more information.

Here’s another article because the first one seems like an opinion piece. This one is more of a news article:

cnbc.com/id/101718219

Why not solar parking lots too?

That’s really interesting. I’m curious to see if anything comes of it.

The first flight was by a twenty-five year old New Zealander, Richard Pearse on March 31, 1902.

They are actually going to do a solar parking lot as an experiment to see how well the solar roads would work out and stand up to wear and tear. If the solar road thing goes well then eventually all roads and parking lots could be made of solar panels.

And how much would that cost taxpayers?

I imagine it would cost a lot of money but then again, wouldn’t it pay for itself in the long run?

The idea of putting perfectly good solar arrays into the ground where they will get run over, dirtier and dirtier, scuffed up, broken, etc. makes no sense whatsoever.

I bet this “Experimental project” was dreamt up by someone who lives in a warm climate. I want to see the durability tests, after hundreds of pounds of salt and other chemicals have been spread all over the roads, and where it snows, snow turns to slush, and slush freezes and bonds to said roadway. And how these new roads would hold up, in conditions which cause potholes to open up in normal roads before your eyes.

I just really hope they didn’t get some governmental grant for this.

How do they hold up when the Metropolitan Sewer District has to replace sewer mains?

I’d like to see someone bring this up on Shark Attack.

Solar roads would be equipped with heating elements. There would never be a need for snow plows ever again.

Course, the worst part of it all would be that there would be no need for pole lines anymore - which means TEPO would be out of a job. :frowning:

…course, I can still splice the underground with the best of em’, but there’s no glory in that. :cool:

Do you work for a utility company? We have been trying to get our electric company to put power lines underground for years now, but they won’t do it :frowning:

Wood poles have a life span of about 60 yrs. we change them out all day, every day -that costs electricity customers quite a bit itself -being there are millions and millions of them.

…you know, it’s not easy carting a pole into someone’s backyard and rigging off a rotted pole to set a new one. Kind of dangerous considering the voltage, and we don’t deenergize the primary 95% of the time. Only if it’s the end of the line or a really short branch line.

I’m sure it is tough and I am thankful for the utility workers in my city. We get pretty rough weather and whenever the power goes out they are out there doing their best to fix it, rain, snow, ice, tornadoes, etc. I make sure to thank them when I get the chance.

Yes. They can do it, however they will charge you for the cost of it and it’s quite expensive. It’s much, much cheaper for them just to install wood poles and run it overhead.

The economists at my university have actually done many studies for our energy company and they have concluded that the benefits would outweigh the costs for the local community.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

It does indeed feel good to be able to turn peoples power back on, especially in cold areas or after a hurricane. It’s much more gratifying than routine maintenance.

Possibly so. However in denser city areas, it would mean tearing up the streets everywhere, and would take many years and dollars. In other less densely populated areas it might actually be worth the costs of the initial installation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.