Soldiers allegedly plotted to kill Obama, oust government

This report of a foiled military coup comes from the Hill:Army soldiers formed a militia group in Georgia that plotted to overthrow the U.S. government — and they killed a fellow soldier and his girlfriend to keep the plot secret, prosecutors alleged Monday, according to the Associated Press.

Prosecutors in the Long County, Ga., case say that the militia group planned to overtake the nearby Fort Stewart, to bomb a dam in Washington state and poison the state’s apple crop and ultimately overthrow the government and assassinate the president, according to reports.

*(snip)*

“This domestic terrorist organization did not simply plan and talk,” prosecutor Isabel Pauley told the judge. “Prior to the murders in this case, the group took action. Evidence shows the group possessed the knowledge, means and motive to carry out their plans.”
Other related items:

[LIST]
*]AP piece linked above
*]CNN: Prosecutors: ‘Anarchist’ group of U.S. soldiers aimed to overthrow government
*]CBS: Prosecutors: Army militia members killed couple
*]Daily Mail (UK): Revealed: Militia leader soldier who ‘killed comrade because he left anarchist group’ was page at 2008 Republican convention
*]Gawker: Is This the Leader of the Army Plot to Assassinate Obama Doing a Terrible Lip Sync?
*]The Atlantic: Prosecutors: U.S. Soldiers Plotted to Kill President Obama
[/LIST]
Possible commentary you may hear today on the news:

[LIST]
]This incident clearly demonstrates that veterans are a threat to the security of the president and all of them should be placed under observation, if not locked away, immediately. *
] Clearly, all soldiers on Fort Stewart, if not the entire Army, need to be locked down in their barracks and all their weaponry placed under the control of civilian guards (properly unionized from the SEIU).

] This just clearly demonstrates that the DHS report on Right-Wing Extremism was accurate. All conservatives need to be immediately arrested and jailed.

] Clearly a vote for anybody but President Obama represents approval of the Army and their coup attempt.*
[/LIST]

:banghead::shrug::banghead:

(the above comments are just some of my musing, trying to figure out how the editorials in the left wing media are going to treat this story today)

On a serious note: there are wackos everywhere. A little group of wackos around Ft Stewart no more represents a serious plot against Mr. Obama than a left winger carrying a sign with an image of President Bush in a night vision scope crosshairs represented a serious threat against President Bush.

On edit: prayers do go out for the repose of the soul of the former soldier and spouse who were murdered. But if it was a simple killing, even a gang killing, it would not warrant 1,000+ stories on a news search. It is political (and that’s why the political response above)

I agree,although the media is slightly slicker than your musings.I hope we don’t "get fooled’…again!

I was intentionally trying to be a bit over the top, in order to make the satire a bit easier to recognize. :wink:

Just like a disgruntled ex-soldier with a junky Italian rifle posed no danger to President Kennedy, or an idiot obsessed with Jodie Foster posed no danger to Pres. Reagan.

A rightwinger with a gun always poses a danger to someone, if not necessarily to the President. :shrug:

I have difficulty imagining a rag-tag group of disenfranchised --probably mentally unstable – people could successfully execute such a plot. :shrug:

oswald was left of center ,hinkley had no political agenda.

Oswald was an avowed Communist. Not left of center. Communist. He tried to self-exile to Cuba.

Didn’t claim that either was a rightwinger. Nothing I wrote contradicts your statement.

Mr. Olszewski: Please do not imply that Lee H. Oswald was a right-winger. He was a communist sympathiser who spent time in the Soviet Union and belonged to the “Fair Play for Cuba” group. Hinckley appears to have been unbalanced but apolitical. History will doubtless reveal that far more often anarchists and other assorted left-wingers engage in violent politcal acts than do conservatives. When I consider that far-left views are rooted in envy, it is easy to think of Cain as a proto-communist.

Re-read my post. I’m sure I called Mr. Oswald a “disgruntled ex-soldier.” As for Mr. Hinckley, I described him as “an idiot obsessed with Jodie Foster.”

Why only with a gun?

Right wingers are dangerous. Because of their dangerous ideas. :eek::extrahappy:

Do I have it right? :rolleyes:

No. We on the left can see to it that they don’t get to put those ideas into practice (and we’ve been pretty successful at that), but with guns, they have the potential to be physical dangers, not just ideological dangers.

And to think that the DHS has been trying to warn us about disgruntled veterans. It almost sounds like they know something we don’t :smiley:

Right, because every single right of center person in the US is a simmering psychopath and potential domestic terrorist threat.

Your statement is outrageous and patently false and I request that you recant it.

and which ideas are those?

Your rather disingenuous replies notwithstanding, you intentionally implied here that previous assasination attempts on presidents had something to do with right-wingers with guns. Yes, you did not make the connection explicitly in your post, but you know that in a two-line post, people are going to assume that the two lines of the post are related.

Left-wingers always try to mislead people by implying things and then wriggling when they get called on it.

–Jen

P.S. Of course, according to your rules, my second paragraph did not imply that you were a left-winger or that you tried to mislead anyone. Frankly, my second paragraph was insulting and untrue, just as was your own. The use of the word “always” is a good hint that this is so.

Conspicuously absent from this post is any concern about left wingers with guns. Just sayin’. Sometimes ommissions say a lot about the one making them. :wink:

And before we hear any nonsense about left wingers all hating guns, let’s not forget Uncle Joe Stalin and his ideological grandson Fidel Castro. And it those seem rather far off, there’s always the gunman that attacked the Family Research Council last week…

Your loony fringe is at LEAST as dangerous as mine. :onpatrol:

Nope but these were.

To be sure! I read it as you wrote it, and did not think that you were accusing me of being a left-winger or of trying to mislead.

Frankly, my second paragraph was insulting and untrue, just as was your own. The use of the word “always” is a good hint that this is so.

Then I should have said, “usually” rather than the absolute “always.” Otherwise, it stands. Thanks for the correction. :slight_smile:

nope,anarchists.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.