Solemn vow vs perpeputal vow? different?

Anyone can help?

Thanks
Wina

To my knowledge vows are categorized like this.

Private vows- lay third orders

Public Vows
-Solemn Vows- used by Orders (Jesuits, Carmelites, Benedictines, pre-reformation religious).
---Temporary vows
---Perpetual vows

-Simple Vows- used by Clerks regular and post reformation religious communities
---Temp. Vows
---Perpetual Vows

Perpetual just means that it is a permanent vow. One that does not expire within a few years like the temporary vow does.

[quote="Formosus, post:2, topic:229989"]
To my knowledge vows are categorized like this.

Private vows- lay third orders

Public Vows
-Solemn Vows- used by Orders (Jesuits, Carmelites, Benedictines, pre-reformation religious).
---Temporary vows
---Perpetual vows

-Simple Vows- used by Clerks regular and post reformation religious communities
---Temp. Vows
---Perpetual Vows

Perpetual just means that it is a permanent vow. One that does not expire within a few years like the temporary vow does.

[/quote]

Thanks,
Could you please give me sample of Clerks regular and post reformation religious communities?

Thanks again

[quote="wina, post:3, topic:229989"]
Thanks,
Could you please give me sample of Clerks regular and post reformation religious communities?

Thanks again

[/quote]

The Jesuits are undoubtedly the most clerks regular. However, another such order that comes to mind are the Camillians, who were founded in the late 16th century. Nearly all communities (except some "breakaways" of older orders) that were established after that century were congregations rather than orders, per se. The number of these group probably runs into the hundreds. Examples are the Salesians, Marian Fathers, Basilians, and the Holy Cross Fathers. There are also societies of apostolic life, such as Maryknoll, who technically do not take any vows.

The Jesuits are Clerks regulars, but they are the only clerks regulars that are a religious order and take solemn vows. I should have been more precise on that in my original post.

As you said though, congregations and various communities take simple vows.

I did fail to mention that some religious communities only take temporary vows that must be renewed every so often by their members.

Thanks all. I've been informed well. Understand more about it

[quote="wina, post:1, topic:229989"]
Anyone can help?

Thanks
Wina

[/quote]

AVE MARIA!
All solemn vows are perpetual vows but not all perpetual vows are solemn.perpatual vows are always simple vows professed as such in lieu of renewing every year.solemn vows are professed by members of an order while simple vows made perpetual are professed by members of a congregation. Solemn vow when made is giving up oneself totally without reservation while simple vows made perpetually is partially unlike the solemn.
I hope this helps,thanks and God bless.
AVE MARIA!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.