Solemnity of John the Baptist?

Today is the Solemnity of John the Baptist, and the readings in the Divine Office explicitly reflect this. I attended Mass this morning expecting it to be treated as a Solemnity, but no mention was made of it. Even the readings were not the readings listed in the Missal or on the USCCB website. Is this day treated as optional within the USA? If not, why the alternate readings, no Profession of Faith, etc?

Drives me crazy, too. There is one church I go to that never seems to recognize solemnities. The entire week of Easter, which is one long solemnity, we never once said the Gloria during Mass. It seems some priests just don’t care. :frowning:

I don’t believe the readings are optional. As you stated, the Divine Office states this.

Because there are priests who don’t seem to recognize solemnities, I think it is all the more important to pray the Divine Office.

I definitely sympathize with you. I’m going to noon Mass in just a little while, and I am sure we won’t say the Gloria or Credo. Sigh.

It’s very odd though, because my priest is normally very orthodox and recognizes other solemnities throughout the year. Not quite sure what to make of it. Maybe I’ll ask him and see what he says, since I’m a little confused over this.

There’s no such thing as an optional Solemnity. Your parish made a mistake.

The birthday of the forerunner is a solemnity on the universal calendar.

God bless,

I didn’t think there was, but I thought that was the polite way of saying that something just wasn’t right. :wink:

Thanks for the information!

You are most welcome!

My confirmation name is John the Baptist, so I always look out for my patron.

He’s also the only saint that uses two different colors for his feasts: white for today (birthday) and red for his beheading.

God bless,

John the Baptist has a special meaning to me, too. My brother’s birthday is today (celebrating John’s birth) and mine is Aug. 29, his beheading. I’ve always wondered if there was some significance to that, and perhaps I should take him as my patron. I think my brother got the better deal, though.:wink:

What do you mean by Easter Week? The week prior to Easter? Because the Gloria is not used during Holy Week, nor in Lent nor in Advent. If you mean the week after Easter, then yes the Gloria should be said.

Easter week is actually called The Octave of Easter. Easter is such a major day that it can’t be celebrate in just one day and so actually includes the entire week following Easter Sunday thru the following Sunday. The Gloria should be said at every Mass that week.

BTW, just as I was afraid, we had no Gloria or Credo today. But at least we did have the correct readings. On the Feast of the Sacred Heart we had no Gloria and the second reading was omitted.

I f he usually does things right , I would assume that he somehow missed what day it was.

Everybody makes a error now and then just to prove they are human.:wink: **

I just started going to weekday mass this week. There was no Gloria or Credo today, which kinda surprised me…after all it’s printed there in the missalette. I’ve never been to this parish prior to this week so I’m not familiar with how things are done at that parish. Hopefully it was just a simple omission.

I’m glad you realized how important is the Nativity of the Baptist John. I’m sorry there wasn’t an appropriate recognition in your Mass. I share your feelings on the days when feasts are ignored in my Latin parish. We did have the appropriate readings there today and the homily was a reflection on St. John the Baptist.

The fact that the Church only celebrates three nativities- Mary the Mother of God, the Holy Glorious Prophet, Forerunner and Baptist John, and Christ our God- should make it clear how significant the day is. It’s a very big day in the Eastern calendar. The two deacons and I were able to pray the festal Vespers last night, thanks be to God. The reading and prayers are so beautiful. I’m sorry we couldn’t have had more people, but we all commute long distances to the church, so often people go to a closer Orthodox parish for the vespers and/or feast day itself.

I went to Mass at the Cathedral yesterday and the rector left out the Gloria and Creed. He did do everything else properly. It sounds like that’s really common to leave those out although it’s certainly illicit. Our priest never leaves out things like that, but unfortunately he was out on vacation this week. I’ve pretty much learned not to expect the Gloria and Creed on weekday Solemnities anywhere but my parish (or the FSSP/Extraordinary Form community, of course).

I always make it a point to recite the Gloria and Creed to myself if the priest skips them. I’m a little concerned about Mass for the Solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul next Tuesday. My priest will be back, but I can’t make it to my parish or the EF Mass that day because of my work schedule. Oh well, I guess I’ll just recite them to myself again if I have to.

There is one Jesuit priest (also at the Cathedral…) who I try to avoid entirely because he ad-libs almost all of the Mass (except the Consecration) and leaves out lots of things. I had the misfortune to go to a Mass with him for the Solemnity of St. Joseph this year. Another (very reverent and traditional) priest was the one listed on the schedule that day…

Interesting fact: Traditionally the Holy Innocents were celebrated with violet vestments during the week but red vestments if the feast fell on a Sunday. Lamentably, this tradition was eliminated in 1955 under Bugnini, where red is now always used.

For the original poster it could have just been an oversight. I serve as a sacristan and once our pastor came out vested in green. It was a Feast for and apostle , I asked “Isn’t this St.-----?” he said “on the first?” I said “It is still the 30th” So he changed to red.

John the Baptist was celebrated as a solemnity at my parish. I forgot about it and when I got to daily Mass Thursday, I was pleasantly surprised. Really nice mass.

I recall years back some Solemnity fell on a Sunday. The priest for the 9 am mass came out wearing green and met the priest from the 7:30 coming in wearing white. That cause a quick check of the ORDO,and a change of vestments. :smiley:

Had an experience recently on the Feast of the Sacred Heart. Another feastday which is reflected both in LOTH and liturgy.

I went to Mass, all was well and the priest acknowledged the feastday. After the Mass came public Evening Prayer, and it was recited as if it were an ordinary weekday, rather than making those changes necessary for the Feast of the Sacred Heart.

I guess sometimes priests are just busy or distracted, like the rest of us, and forget such things. :shrug:

At Pentecost this year Pastor came out vested in white. I don’t know how many people noticed.

I doubt this was the case, but if there are not vestments of the proper color, white may be used. (This is even true, for example, if there is not a full set for a solemn Mass of red on Pentecost; it would not be necessary to say a low Mass or simply a sung Mass in order to use a red chasuble when there are is no tunic or dalmatic. The ministers may simply wear white.) Gold thread vestments may also replace white, red, and green, and should be used if they are at hand rather than white for a feast that requires red or green.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.