Solemnity of St Peter and St Paul

Is abstinence from meat suspended tomorrow?

If you are in a country where Friday abstinence is still the practice throughout the year, then yes, Friday abstinence does not apply since it is a Solemnity.

Canon 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

-Fr ACEGC

Would this include Canada Father?

(if you know from the top of your head of course :slight_smile: )

Well, obviously, it wouldn’t matter tomorrow, since tomorrow is a Solemnity in the whole church, and universal law stipulates that Friday abstinence does not apply if a Solemnity falls on Friday.

From what I gather, in Canada, Friday abstinence still applies throughout the year, but one may substitute some other act of penance.

Thank you Father have a good day :slight_smile:

Thank you for the confirmation regarding the abstinence. I live in North Carolina.

My husband and I returned to the Friday abstinence a few years ago but were not aware of the suspension of abstinence (except such obvious days as Christmas, Immaculate Conception, Assumption, etc.) on certain days during the year.

If you live in North Carolina, you are subject to the regulations on fasting and abstinence as they apply in the United States, and thus there is no obligation to abstain from meat on Fridays throughout the year in any case.

Correct, so today I’m abstaining from vacuuming and cleaning the bathrooms :smiley:

One exception is the archdiocese of Ottawa where the archbishop has maintained abstinence from meat. Which of course doesn’t apply today since it’s a solemnity.

It depends upon the local rule for each of the Catholic Church sui iuris. Byzantine Catholics still (voluntarily) observe the Apostles’ Fast even when it is the Great Feast of the Holy Pre-eminent Apostles Peter and Paul. When a Friday some penance is still obligatory for Byzantine Catholics.

CCEO (Eastern Canon Law)

Can. 882 On the days of penance the Christian faithful are obliged to observe fast or abstinence in the manner established by the particular law of their Church sui iuris.

Byzantine (USA) Particular law Prot. No. G 67/99:

Can. 880 §3. Simple abstinence or an equivalent penance is to be observed on all Fridays throughout the year.

Talking about the “solemnity”, St Paul had the most significant conversion, followed by St Augustine

Correct, but we are still required to perform penance on Fridays. I prefer to abstain for my penance unless of course the Friday a solemnity.

But we’re supposed to do other acts of penance, yes? We found we were not doing that. So we returned to abstinence on Friday.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.