Somali Pirates Seize Ukraine Ship

nytimes.com/2008/09/27/world/africa/27pirates.html?em

While obviously a serious matter, several points did seem to be a little strange, and some, down right funny.

*"But this time the pirates may have got more than they bargained for. A Western diplomat in Kenya, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to reporters, said the pirates would not have the know-how or the equipment to unload the tanks, which weigh more than 80,000 pounds.

“ If there are tanks on board,” the diplomat said, “I don’t think there’s a chance in hell they can get them unloaded.”"*

*"Alfred Mutua, a spokesman for the Kenyan government, said the tanks and other arms were for the Kenyan military, which has become a key ally of the West in the war against terrorism.

“We’re concerned,” Dr. Mutua said. “This is a big loss for us.” But, he added, “at least we have insurance.”*"

Somali officials say the pirates are growing in numbers, with more than 1,000 gunmen at their disposal, and they have evolved into a sophisticated organized crime ring with their headquarters along the rocky shores of northern Somalia. There is even a pirate spokesman (who could not be reached on Friday).

They may not know how to unload them, but I bet they could hire some people who could. A haul like that would be worth tens of millions of dollars.

I wish someone would make a decision and sinnk the ship before it can make port. The potential loss of life is far greater then the innocent Unkranian crew and pirates. The last thing the world needs are terrorists with tanks or modern tanks rolling into Darfur or Ethiopia.

T-72s are anything but modern. But I suppose in Africa, a tank is a tank is a tank. In fact, it was mentioned that the smaller arms were of greater concern, as they can be more easily handed over unto terrorists.

Interesting isn’t it that a ship filled with men and guns is a great deal different than a ship filled with men with guns. Not that I doub’t in anyway the Ukrainian’s valour in resisting. But it seems to me that when transporting such a cargo, in a region so noted for it’s raiders, would merit great efforts towards security.

As for you, most dearly respected and appreciated poster, that’s a tad bit roguish, wouldn’t you say? How increadibly difficult is it to monitor less than two thousand miles of coast? Or to board a moving vessel? Ah, but then I’m perhaps consigning even more men to death by sending them to risk their lives to save others?

I too wonder why the security arrangements made by whoever is shipping the war material were so seemingly lax.

As for the rest of the content of your post, your statements are rather vague and I do not understand the point you are trying to make.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.