Somalia bans Christmas [CWN]

For the first time since 1991, Somalia’s ministry of justice and religious affairs announced that any celebration of Christmas in the Sunni Muslim nation would be banned.The director …

More…

Oh, how awful! That’s terrible! A lot of us here have difficulty getting ourselves to go to mass. We can see how lucky we are to have mass, priests, freedom of religion!

I’ll close with a prayer for these people, and others, who are being prohibited from practicing their faiths.

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blest is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. :gopray:

Wow. I’m not surprised. Somalia is one of the most disgusting places on earth (in pretty much every way you can think of); and this is just one additional reason to think so.

Somalia now has a central government?

That’s what I was thinking.

Prayers for all Christians suffering persecution.

This is not surprising. Which country will be next…!

Despite their efforts I believe they will find December 25th coming anyway.

NO, Somalia has no working Govt. Im guessing this statement was made by someone who ‘thinks’ they are in charge or hold some position of power.

It is sad how Somalians live, but when I watched a documentary on piracy there, many people said if the US were in the same situation and had no Govt, the people there would be doing the same things, in order to feed and clothe their children, desperation makes a person do things they once never thought they would do.

The money they get from hijacking ships surprisingly goes to the entire community, some of it is even used to bring teachers, build schools, buy books, etc., and its really the only way they have of getting money for such things…plus, they know there is literally no risk, since the ship owners prefer paying the pirates over getting the military involved, its usually cheaper and quicker for them to just pay.

Same here. I didn’t think there was really a country left there per se, it was just a big no-go-zone for everyone else. I thought that only Somaliland hada functioning (although unrecognized) government.

Too bad they can’t ban pirates.

Prayers for all Christians suffering persecution.

Many prayers.

That is horrible but I do not find it to be surprising. After all, isn’t Somalia a stronghold for Al Qaeda?

It IS. I remember reading a story in 2002 (I can’t confirm with a link here. Sorry.) that when the U.S. Army captured Tora Bora in Afghanistan; they found an old GPS that had been taken from one of our Special Forces soldiers in the Battle of Mogadishu.

England or the US maybe? Oh wait, they’ve already done it…and unlike Somalia did it with a working government and a Christian populace.

Huh??? Where in the US has Christmas been banned? I’m pretty sure I just celebrated it. I hope I wasn’t in violation of the law.

The prohibition against celebrating Christmas may have been meant for Muslims, not for Christians.
“We alert fellow Muslims in Somalia that some festivities to mark Christian Days will take place around the world in this week,” said Sheikh Ali Dhere during the press conference, adding: “It is prohibited to celebrate those days in this country.”*
ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/religion/artikel.php?ID=296213

This would be consistent with efforts in other majority Muslim countries to push back against celebrations of secular Christmas. Such celebrations might be seen as cultural invasion, or worse, a temptation to convert

Here is a news report from Turkey, about a similar (but non-governmental) campaign.
hurriyetdailynews.com/anti-santa-campaigns-heat-up-in-turkey-as-christmas-arrives-.aspx?pageID=238&nID=60090&NewsCatID=341

Yeah, I could see this happening in the US, They seem to want to rid anything remotely to do with Christ out of society, so banning Christmas would be a great start to this goal, plus if any muslim groups complained about it, they would surely ban it. LOL

It is important to remember the bible tells us eventually christians WILL be persecuted, jailed, and even tortured for their beliefs, we are getting close to this becoming reality…only a matter of time.

History, it’s more than just a class you take in school.

Nice response to the gift of $1.5 billion from the U.S. :rolleyes:

Since 2009, the United States has provided over $1.5 billion in assistance to Somalia, including $545 million in FY 2012. The U.S. Government hopes to continue substantial financial support to Somalia in future years that will support Somalia’s progress and transition to longer-term development. U.S. foreign assistance programs support security, development and humanitarian objectives

state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2013/05/209062.htm

So, we’re continuing to send money there after they dragged our Army Rangers, Delta Operators, and Night Stalkers (helicopter pilots) through the streets after they killed and dismembered them??? Nice way to say thanks for trying to protect aid workers. Besides 9/11, I was never angrier in my life than when they did that (1993). “Nation Building” is a scam. Personally, I don’t see why we continually let others bite our hands when we try to feed them.

The short memories of our government officials is an outrage. If anyone here wants to know what Somalia is REALLY like, they should read Mark Bowden’s “Black Hawk Down”. It doesn’t sugarcoat the Battle of Mogadishu like the movie does; and why ANYONE would waste a penny on that disgusting sand-pit is beyond me.

Is it ANY wonder they would outlaw Christmas? Those in power there have NO concept of Christian charity; NO concept of goodwill; and NO concept of how to act like civilized humans.

I don’t either.

oh my!! :(:frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.