Some 35,000 Turks converted from Islam to Christianity last year

Many Turks Become Christians

Istanbul, Jan. 23–(UPI) Some 35,000 Turks converted from Islam to Christianity last year,with most joining evangelical congregations the newspaper, “Milliet,” reports. If true, this would amount to a mass movement, considering Christians make up only 0.2 percent of Turkey’s 68 million population. “This is news to me,” said the Rev. Holger Nollmann, the German Protestant pastor in Istanbul.

However, Ihsan Ozbek, president of the Council of Independent Protestant congregations, said more and more Turks were turning toward Christianity. "However, given the Islamic environment in which we live, most Turks coming to our congregations do not wish to make waves."
The German protestant news service Idea reported most converts are descendants of Orthodox Christians who ostensibly became Muslims to avoid being killed in Turkey’s 1914-22 genocide of its Armenian minority.

beliefnet.com/story/139/story_13903_1.html#cont

[quote=Proud Kafir]… given the Islamic environment in which we live…
[/quote]

islamic environment? :eek: wow, that’s the first time i’ve ever seen turkey’s situation referred to as that. the environment in turkey is anything but islamic. many of the people of that land are ignorant of islam. perhaps that’s why so many turks are leaving islam as this article claims. :rolleyes:

I must ask you r. gonzales, what do you know about Turkey? Have you ever been ther? Have you met anyone from Istanbul? Bursa? Antalya? Izmir? Please do not make assumptions from what you see on television or on the news. Since it is a predominatly Islamic Community, they are misrepresented.

Majority of Turkish Muslims have a very strong belief in Islam and its teachings. If you want to know more about Turkish Muslims you might want to refer to the Ottoman Empire (hopefully you have heard of it). It was one of the largest empires that has ever existed and never forced religion on any person (Unlike Christianity and Catholicism).

[quote=Nic]I must ask you r. gonzales, what do you know about Turkey? Have you ever been ther? Have you met anyone from Istanbul? Bursa? Antalya? Izmir? Please do not make assumptions from what you see on television or on the news. Since it is a predominatly Islamic Community, they are misrepresented.

Majority of Turkish Muslims have a very strong belief in Islam and its teachings. If you want to know more about Turkish Muslims you might want to refer to the Ottoman Empire (hopefully you have heard of it). It was one of the largest empires that has ever existed and never forced religion on any person (Unlike Christianity and Catholicism).
[/quote]

assalaamu 'alaikum.

i have friends from that country so my info on it isn’t from t.v. (btw, i don’t even own a t.v. or have one in my home).

yes, i’ve heard about the uthmaaniyyah. from what i know they were sufis or at least influenced by them. i know that mustafaa kamaal ataturk seriously messed things up for islam in turkey trying to destroy anything islamic that was left in it. i know that there are a number of turks trying to revive islam there, and i pray Allah aids them in that. but i also know that the government has banned the hijaab from being worn in certain places, you’re hassled if you wear a thawb or fulfill the obligation of keeping your beard as well as other things that clearly oppose the sharee’ah. i know that there are worse muslim countries out there (tunisa comes to mind) and that these things aren’t specific to turkey, but they do exist there and like i said, in general, the environment there is anything but islamic.

[quote=r.gonzales]islamic environment? :eek: wow, that’s the first time i’ve ever seen turkey’s situation referred to as that. the environment in turkey is anything but islamic. many of the people of that land are ignorant of islam. perhaps that’s why so many turks are leaving islam as this article claims. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

This is radical thinking. Why is it that there is nothing more radical than a convert? Is Egypt anything but islamic? Because there are conversion going on there to. Is Palestine** anything but islamic**? Because there are conversion there too. This goes back to Islam being easier than Christianity! It is easy to pray, fast and kill. There is no difficulty in doing so.

[quote=r.gonzales]islamic environment? :eek: wow, that’s the first time i’ve ever seen turkey’s situation referred to as that. the environment in turkey is anything but islamic. many of the people of that land are ignorant of islam. perhaps that’s why so many turks are leaving islam as this article claims. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I have never been hurt by a Moslem I have often been hurt by Protestant Christians therefore I conclude that Moslems are less of a threat than Protestants

sixtus, both are threats. But Protestants generally don’t fly planes into buildings or act as suicide bombers. So I would much rather deal with them. Muslims have tried to kill us and I was personally attacked by one. I am delighted that so many are converting to Christianity. It is a hopeful sign.

The Armenians share the same feelings (those that survived the genocide)

How many Muslims live in your area?

You mean the secular Turks’ genocide?

Muslims in Arabia gave homes to the Armenians who fled the slaughter. In fact, they’re still there in Syria, living as equals.

The Armenian genocide had exactly zero to do with Islam. The organizers didn’t even pretend to have an agenda in line with the religion; they were nationalists who were trying to implement the European idea that a country should be only of one race and language.

As a member of a Catholic minority, who lives in an overwhelmingly Protestant area, I find this a terrible, unjust slander against Protestants. I have certainly lived with prejudice, and my parents lived with worse. But the Protestants; even the KKK in the 1930s, have never blown up one of our churches. They have never beheaded one of our priests or crucified one of us, or called publicly for the death of the Pope. You are obviously living in the safe U.S., where you can take huge offense to things that would be child’s play in the Muslim world. Try openly practicing any religion other than Islam in Saudi Arabia and, when you survive what happens to you, if you do, you will kiss the feet of the first Protestant you meet thereafter.

If you are referring to so-called Nine-11, then this is yet to be proved in an impartial judicial court of law, that who ever were flying those planes were indeed Muslims or not. Until then all theories are valid.

Secondly, now there are so many intelligent people who are the citizens of only Super Power left in the World–USA, who are questioning/challenging the official theory of Nine-11. Why? you should read their substance and debate with them.

Thirdly, even if it is proved any time in the future that the killers were indeed Muslims, then what actions of those “Muslims” have to do with Islam when it is already declared by the very President of only Super Power left in the World-USA that :

“Islam is Peace” Says President
Remarks by the President at Islamic Center of Washington, D.C.
THE PRESIDENT: Thank you all very much for your hospitality. We’ve just had a – wide-ranging discussions on the matter at hand. Like the good folks standing with me, the American people were appalled and outraged at last Tuesday’s attacks. And so were Muslims all across the world. Both Americans and Muslim friends and citizens, tax-paying citizens, and Muslims in nations were just appalled and could not believe what we saw on our TV screens.
These acts of violence against innocents violate the fundamental tenets of the Islamic faith. And it’s important for my fellow Americans to understand that.
The English translation is not as eloquent as the original Arabic, but let me quote from the Koran, itself: In the long run, evil in the extreme will be the end of those who do evil. For that they rejected the signs of Allah and held them up to ridicule.
The face of terror is not the true faith of Islam. That’s not what Islam is all about. Islam is peace. These terrorists don’t represent peace. They represent evil and war.
When we think of Islam we think of a faith that brings comfort to a billion people around the world. Billions of people find comfort and solace and peace. And that’s made brothers and sisters out of every race – out of every race.
America counts millions of Muslims amongst our citizens, and Muslims make an incredibly valuable contribution to our country. Muslims are doctors, lawyers, law professors, members of the military, entrepreneurs, shopkeepers, moms and dads. And they need to be treated with respect. In our anger and emotion, our fellow Americans must treat each other with respect.
Women who cover their heads in this country must feel comfortable going outside their homes. Moms who wear cover must be not intimidated in America. That’s not the America I know. That’s not the America I value.
I’ve been told that some fear to leave; some don’t want to go shopping for their families; some don’t want to go about their ordinary daily routines because, by wearing cover, they’re afraid they’ll be intimidated. That should not and that will not stand in America.
Those who feel like they can intimidate our fellow citizens to take out their anger don’t represent the best of America, they represent the worst of humankind, and they should be ashamed of that kind of behavior.
This is a great country. It’s a great country because we share the same values of respect and dignity and human worth. And it is my honor to be meeting with leaders who feel just the same way I do. They’re outraged, they’re sad. They love America just as much as I do.
I want to thank you all for giving me a chance to come by. And may God bless us all.
whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/09/20010917-11.html

And not only this but also re-confirmed the following fact very recently that:

cont…

And not only this but also re-confirmed the following fact very recently that:

" Islam is a great faith that has transcended racial and ethnic divisions and brought hope and comfort to many people. …
"America is strengthened by the countless contributions of our Muslim citizens, and we value our ties with Muslim nations throughout the world. …
More: whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/10/20061023.html

After these clear and bold declarations from the very honorable office of White House of only Super Power left in the whoel World, does it any make sense for you mindless Catholics and your atheist “lawyer/defender” (i.e. Rodrigo Bivar) to attack very religion of Islam when this Rodrigo Bivar is such a foolish and mindless man who doesn’t even believe in the existence of God…duh!!..I mean he being a confessed atheist more foolish than your present Pope. Or perhaps Rodrigo doesn’t even know the meaning of ‘atheist’?

Would you Catholics in order not to make yourself fool and save your valuable time and efforts, atleast follow your very ex Pope JP 2–who has kissed the Holy book of Muslims-the Kuran? Or you in your mind are more “infallible” and “intelligent” than your Pope JP 2?
LOL

===========================================

The Islamic Way of Life
al-islamforall.org/litre/englitre/Islawayoflife.htm

Your blessed Ottomans were so advanced in Sufi tradition that they hanged the Greek Patriarch in front of the central Orthodox Church in Istanbul and did not even let the Orthodox faithful bury their martyred Patriarch!

Kemal Ataturk is still considered by most Turks a hero and savior that saved the country from the bigotry left by the so-called Sufi Ottomans. However, as you joyfully confirm, many Muslims living in the east of the country have done their best to carry Turkey back to those dark ages since the day a rightist government came to power in1946. This is what the puppets of Islamic fanaticism have achieved in that country so far: they burned 37 people alive in a hotel not long ago so that Islam could be revived: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aziz_Nesin

Go and read about those souls lost to violence and keep being proud of the Islamic fanaticism even in a country where - you claim - there’s nothing Islamic!

Peace to you and all those seeking the truth to embrace it :slight_smile:

blink :confused:

Where did you read about this? Can I read it too?

Kemal Ataturk is still considered by most Turks a hero and savior that saved the country from the bigotry left by the so-called Sufi Ottomans. However, as you joyfully confirm, many Muslims living in the east of the country have done their best to carry Turkey back to those dark ages since the day a rightist government came to power in1946. This is what the puppets of Islamic fanaticism have achieved in that country so far: they burned 37 people alive in a hotel not long ago so that Islam could be revived: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aziz_Nesin

I hate to say it, but the secularists are the stooges in Turkey. Islamic governments get elected repeatedly, and the army steps in to declare martial law and cancel the elections. Most turks want a more Muslim government; they have not been allowed to choose that because Kemalism has strong fascist tendencies and that has been played out in the history of Turkey.

As freedom pushes forward there will be large conversions both ways, but the religion that is leaving both Islam and Christianity in the dust is moral relativism, with the human as their own god. That will be if it isn’t already the largest religion in the world.

Great post:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pro, it is true. In the Phanar they have a gateway that is still closed because the Ottoman’s hung a Patriarch there. The Turks occasionally try to force them to open it. HIs name was Patriarch Gregory and the date was Easter 1821. Now I know you will try to weasel out of it, but it is historical fact.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.