Some basic answers needed to common anti-catholic remarks

I’m not all too good with the ‘search’ function so please don’t tell me to use that. I have come across some problems with local Christians and have been unable to give adequate response to such remarks as the Catholic Church:

1. denies salvation by grace (Ephesians 2:8-9)
  2. denies the all-sufficient, `once-for-all’ character of Jesus’ sacrifice on Calvary (Hebrews 9:28)
  3. denies that the Bible is the sole and final authority for divine truth (2 Timothy 3:16);
  4. places creatures, like Mary and saints, as mediators between humanity and Christ (1 Timothy 2:5);
  5. claims to have a now-functional, sacrificing priesthood (Hebrews 7:24-26)

1. The Catechism says in #1697 “for it is by grace that we are saved and again it is by grace that our works can bear fruit for eternal life”

2. The Church does not at all deny the unicity of Christ’s sacrifice, but she rightly accepts that the effects of that sacrifice must be applied to souls today through baptism. She also recognizes that the Mass is the same sacrifice as Christ’s sacrifice on the cross and that it is re-presented but not a new sacrifice.

3. The Church does deny that the Bible is the sole and final authority for divine truth. The Bible never makes this claim by any means. The Church is the “pillar and mainstay of truth” (1 Timothy 3:15).

4. Yes, creatures can lead us to Christ. How could they not? Christ himself told the apostles, “he who hears you hears me.”

5. The principal priest at every Mass is Christ himself. That’s why the sacrifice of the Mass is the same sacrifice as Calvary: the priest, victim, and recipient are the same while only the mode of offering differs.

catholic.com/library/Grace_What_It_Is.asp or catholic.com/library/Pillar.asp

This is simply not true ewtn.com/faith/teachings/euchb1a.htm

Where in 2 Timothy 3:16 does it say that the Bible is the sole and final Authority?

[quote="2 Timothy 3:16 (NIV)]All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,
[/quote]

2 Timothy 3:16 said that Scripture is inspired by God. It states that it is useful for teaching, rebuking and correcting but it does not say that it is the sole and finial Authority.

We do believe that it Scripture is inspired by God. usccb.org/catechism/text/pt1sect1chpt2.htm
Also keep mind what 1 Timothy 3:15 states.

[quote=1 Timothy 3:15]if I am delayed, you will know how people ought to conduct themselves in God’s household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of the truth.
[/quote]

I would ask for a verse that clearly states that the Bible or Scripture is the sole authority. I would not allow them to “add” things to the verse.

biblechristiansociety.com/2min_apologetics.php?id=16

I’m not sure what this means…

read the passage for context and meaning, verse one tells chrisitans to pray for each other. The word mediator is not referring to only one person praying. Romans 8 also has the Holy Spirit praying for us. Simply list scriptures where we are told to pray for each other.

1I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— 2for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, 6who gave himself as a ransom for all men—the testimony given in its proper time. 7And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying—and a teacher of the true faith to the Gentiles.

Also, read Hebrews 7-10

Salavation by grace is a transparent excuse for not giving very much to charity

1. denies the all-sufficient, `once-for-all’ character of Jesus’ sacrifice on Calvary (Hebrews 9:28)

Necessary and sufficient are too different things. Either everyone is saved - that is a real debate, but no need to get into it here - of Christ’s sacrifice is not sufficient. Something else is needed.

1. denies that the Bible is the sole and final authority for divine truth (2 Timothy 3:16);

Well duh. It is like saying that I got all my ideas from 12 Common Atheist Arguments (refuted). For anyone else, that might be true or false, but since I am the author, it is necessarily the other way round - 12 Common Atheist Arguments (refuted) derives its ideas from me.

1. places creatures, like Mary and saints, as mediators between humanity and Christ (1 Timothy 2:5);

Yes. Creatures have freedom of action. One thing they can do is act as intermediaries between other beings.

1. claims to have a now-functional, sacrificing priesthood (Hebrews 7:24-26)

Catholics priests are considered to be true priests of the order of Melchizedek. They don’t offer animals in the Temple, they do offer gifts of bread and wine. The old Jewish priesthood is still going - Jews with the surname “Cohen” are priests - but it is no longer active.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.