Some boys wear "make-up"

So I am sitting at dinner with my son (2 yo) and daughter (4 yo) of age. My daughter asks if she can wear some eye shadow. My wife says she will see if she can find some to wear at home. My daughter is ok with this and then says boys don’t wear eye shadow. My wife chimes in and says some boys wear it and I answered but boys aren’t supposed to wear make up. I pretty much got shushed and was told that some boys wear it to cover scars and on stage and such. And also my wife doesn’t want my daughter to think its wrong if she sees a boy wearing it (because it makes him feel comfortable). My wife is sympathetic to many liberal types of thinking. My blood began to boil because I got shushed for one and two I don’t think it normal for such practices outside of stage and covering a scar which is perfectly understandable. I am looking for critism and to be set straight.

Why would anyone that young (boy or girl) wear makeup?

I do agree, boys outside of the stage (or some other authentic reason) should not be wearing makeup.

Maybe in a perfect world where gender labels don’t mean anything this is acceptable, but currently it’s not. You shouldn’t be putting make-up on your young son.

[quote="lynx, post:3, topic:233785"]
Maybe in a perfect world where gender labels don't mean anything this is acceptable, but currently it's not. You shouldn't be putting make-up on your young son.

[/quote]

Why would complete gender neutrality be a perfect world?

@ irishpatrick - Hmm, I dunno, because it's just a four yearold girl at home, wanting to look pretty, and play dress up? Perfectly acceptable, I think. Obviously you don't let them leave the house with it, but it's just good fun, wanting to dress up like their mom. It's what little girls do.

I sometimes wonder if the members of CAF have ever been children.

@OP - Okay, look... There's honestly nothing wrong with it. I think it's a little out there, but it's no worse than a girl wearing make up. And, depending on the social circle, there are plenty of guys wearing a touch of eye liner today.

Why are you raging at your wife?
"I pretty much got shushed and was told that some boys wear it to cover scars and on stage and such"

Which is true. What is, it BAD for a guy to wear make up on stage? Is acting sinful?
Is it bad to hide a scar that you're self conscious about?

Oh, I guess that's a very liberal way of thinking, right there. :shrug:

[quote="Suni_Moon, post:5, topic:233785"]
@ irishpatrick - Hmm, I dunno, because it's just a four yearold girl at home, wanting to look pretty, and play dress up? Perfectly acceptable, I think. Obviously you don't let them leave the house with it, but it's just good fun, wanting to dress up like their mom. It's what little girls do.

@OP - Okay, look... There's honestly nothing wrong with it. I think it's a little out there, but it's no worse than a girl wearing make up. And, depending on the social circle, there are plenty of guys wearing a touch of eye liner today.

"I pretty much got shushed and was told that some boys wear it to cover scars and on stage and such"

Which is true. What is, it BAD for a guy to wear make up on stage? Is acting sinful?

[/quote]

Using makeup is for more mature females...not four year olds...imo.

Boys should NOT wear makeup unless there is a very good reason and those reasons are quite few.

Boys are boys, girls and girls, period.

[/quote]

I agree that certain instances like on stage or to cover a wound is perfectly acceptable. I have no qualms with that. I was trying to discern whether or not I had any basis for my feelings that in general boys should not be wearing makeup. Thanks! :D

There is no reason–imo–to allow boys to wear makeup (save perhaps on Halloween or something like acting as you already stated).

Fathers are called to raise men! We have a true crisis with men and need to find ways to fix that. Letting them wear makeup might not be terrible, but sure won’t help either. With males there should NEVER be any cause to encourage ambiguity regarding their gender…never.

[quote="MichaelP71, post:1, topic:233785"]
So I am sitting at dinner with my son (2 yo) and daughter (4 yo) of age. My daughter asks if she can wear some eye shadow. My wife says she will see if she can find some to wear at home. My daughter is ok with this and then says boys don't wear eye shadow. My wife chimes in and says some boys wear it and I answered but boys aren't supposed to wear make up. I pretty much got shushed and was told that some boys wear it to cover scars and on stage and such. And also my wife doesn't want my daughter to think its wrong if she sees a boy wearing it (because it makes him feel comfortable). My wife is sympathetic to many liberal types of thinking. My blood began to boil because I got shushed for one and two I don't think it normal for such practices outside of stage and covering a scar which is perfectly understandable. I am looking for critism and to be set straight.

[/quote]

You won't get any criticism from me, and I'd like to set your WIFE straight! #1 a 4 year old should be told, "you don't need to play with make-up, sorry." And your dd stated that boys don't wear EYE SHADOW, not stage make-up or to cover a scar (never seen a man who felt self-conscious about a scar). Your wife should have said "That's right, boys don't wear eye shadow, and a lot of girls also don't wear eye shadow. Eye shadow is for grown-up women, and not everyone likes to wear make-up."

You must disagree with your wife on a lot of issues. I suggest you sit down and communicate about what you will teach your kids, or they are going to be twisted in knots trying to figure out what each parent wants them to believe.

Does your wife support homosexual "marriages" and abortion? You have larger problems if so.

[/quote]

What? Guys are wearing eye liner? Not in my social circle!

Have you seen the current episodes of "Amazing Race".

amazingracefanwiki.com/page/**+Kynt+and+Vyxsin

Kynt - a woman/man amoung men.

Either a sadly confused person, or a person trying to make money off being radically different.

Because your gender is irrelevant to your qualities as a person and the contributions you make in this world. There is no real purpose to labeling something gender specific, such as makeup.

Of course there is. We live in a fallen world and it will remain so until the end. God created us male and female, we are equal, but we are not the same and it is obvious that is how God wants things to be (at least in this life). Men compliment women, and women compliment men, that is the balance in God’s created order for humanity. Women wear makeup, not men.

How much boy make-up are you wearing right now?

[quote="Barbkw, post:11, topic:233785"]
Have you seen the current episodes of "Amazing Race".

amazingracefanwiki.com/page/**+Kynt+and+Vyxsin

Kynt - a woman/man amoung men.

[/quote]

That's nothing. Have you seen any pictures of Andrej Pejic? Now that man wears some serious makeup

You know what's funny? In the animal kingdom, it's the male animal that is flamboyant and "made up" with bright feathers, ruffs of furr, special songs, etc. and the female (especially birds) is a drab little mousy thing. Just the opposite to us humans.

Label anyone whatever you want, you won’t make a man into a woman with words. :rolleyes:

[quote="irishpatrick, post:14, topic:233785"]
Of course there is. We live in a fallen world and it will remain so until the end. God created us male and female, we are equal, but we are not the same and it is obvious that is how God wants things to be (at least in this life). Men compliment women, and women compliment men, that is the balance in God's created order for humanity. Women wear makeup, not men.

[/quote]

Makeup is only gender specific because we live in a world that holds that to be true. Point out the biblical references to makeup being for women only.

[quote="Barbkw, post:15, topic:233785"]
How much boy make-up are you wearing right now?

[/quote]

What's the difference between boy and girl makeup? Do you man stubble and scars? I have those.

[quote="KostyaJMJ, post:16, topic:233785"]
That's nothing. Have you seen any pictures of Andrej Pejic? Now that man wears some serious makeup

[/quote]

Cover your eyes - his nipples are showing and it appears that he shaves everywhere.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.