Some good books on Catholic History?

Hello,

I am a Catholic, and I am an avid reader, and I love History. I really want to study the history of Catholicism , but I don’t know what are some good books to read. I really want to study the crusades, because I feel I wasn’t taught much about it in school, and I want to understand the influence the papacy had on Europe in History.

God’s Battalions: The Case for the Crusades by Rodney Stark. Haven’t read it but heard great things about it.

The Medieval Papacy by Brett E. Whalen for a history of the papacy and its influence on Europe up to the Reformation.

The History of Christendom series by Warren Carroll.

Anything by Renee Pernoud.

Hilaire Belloc.

1 Like

catholic.com has a couple by Steve Weidenkopf.

And I throw in a copy of

1 Like

I highly recommend 'How that Catholic Church Built Western Civilization"

Anything by William Thomas Walsh and Hilaire Belloc. If you want an I-can’t-put-this-down book, get Richelieu by Hilaire Belloc (yes, I have the book :blush:). Suggestion if you get the book: Get into your favorite chair, block out 4 hours and start reading. Seriously, it’s THAT compelling.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.