Some guidance, please

I don’t know that I’m even in the right forum, but I’m not sure where to go. I’m not Catholic and had never even been in a Catholic church until 3 months ago at the suggestion of a friend. I’ve been struggling with depression…and in turn struggling with my faith. I feel a lot of peace in Mass…which confuses me…I’m not Catholic! I want to talk with a priest and I want to find out more about this religion. I’m being pulled toward it and need some answers. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Your best bet is going to be to contact the parish office of whatever church is near you and ask them any questions you may have. They should be running an RCIA program right now, which is the class that all people interested in joining the Catholic Church must take. It’s designed to help familiarize you with the faith and answer any questions that you may have. RCIA requires no commitment on your part, so don’t feel like showing up for the classes will require you to join the church.

May God richly bless you on your journey.

-CK

Welcome to the path home!!!

I too have felt as you do, an explainable peace at Mass despite not being Catholic (and I did not want the Catholic Church to be ‘right’). In fact I have never felt afraid in a Catholic church despite the vaulted ceilings, statues, altar, priest’s clothing, and Liturgy all of which were so different than what I was used to. I take it as one of the many signs I am in the right place.

I am a convert (six years come November 22! :D).

By all means, talk to a priest. If you haven’t found a priest to talk to at the parish you’ve attended you can check masstimes.org for Catholic churches near you.

In the mean time ask here. Look at the forum descriptions and post where you think most appropriate. But nothing replaces talking to an actual priest and getting into a RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) course.

Again WELCOME!

Yes, Welcome -
As others have said, the best place to start is with the parish priest. He will be able guide you.
Also there are good articles here on this website that might help answer some questions.
Start with these if you’s like.
**How to become a Catholic **

Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth

Peace
James

Welcome to the forums. My dear friend, what is there to be confused about? You were in God’s house, worshipping him with your brothers and sisters. He knew you were here. He knows your pain. He knew you needed to feel his peace and love. I pray He will lead you home.

Thank you all. You’ve succeeded in making me cry :slight_smile: I’m going to do my best to pursue this from here, to proceed in the direction I feel I’m being pushed. Please pray for me.

Heavenly Father,
Please help and guide your servant brandint to know your will.
Guide him/her faithfully into your Holy Church.
We ask this in Christ’s name
Amen

Yes, yes - just talk to a priest or deacon for direction, and definitely ask Jesus.

I rejoice in the confusing peace you have found at Mass and pray for you as you continue on your journey home!!

…for this son of mine was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found. And they began to celebrate. (Luke 15:24)

…there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance. (Luke 15:7)

Don’t let the sinner word scare you, we’re all sinners in need of God’s Mercy - I included these verses to let you know that the whole communion of saints is welcoming you!

Peace -
Annie

Thank you all again for your kind words and prayers. Today, I attended Mass (my first time during the week; I was a little nervous due to the lack of people :wink: ). The moment I stepped through the doorway, I immediately began to sob. I’m still unsure of God’s plan for me, but He is certainly getting my attention. I have made plans to meet with both a priest and the director of RCIA at my local parish. I don’t know where I’m going, but I know that I am feeling peace along the way.

Aw, big hugs to you. :slight_smile: May your journey home be joyful and swift.

Yes, He does that quiet well.
I’m glad you’re moving forward. I’m leaving to go to Adoration in a few minutes and will pray for you tonight

Annie

:thumbsup::blessyou::gopray2:

Our Prayers are with you.

Peace
James

I felt peace visiting Catholic churches too before I was Catholic :slight_smile: I think it’s because Jesus is there in the Eucharist. I suggest talking to a priest :slight_smile: God bless!

I would recommend: Talk to a priest; attend the Rite of Christian Initation for Adults (RCIA); spend time on this site.

The beauty of Catholicism: Unification. Whenever I visit a city or town in which I am a stranger, all I know is that a visit to the Catholic Church puts me at home because, in the presence of Christ, I know I am not alone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.