Some health insurance gets pricier as Obamacare rolls out

LA Times:

**Some health insurance gets pricier as Obamacare rolls out **

Peter Lee, executive director of Covered California, said the state and insurers agreed that clearing the decks by Jan. 1 was best for consumers in the long run despite the initial disruption. Lee has heard the complaints — even from his sister-in-law, who recently groused about her 50% rate increase. “People could have kept their cheaper, bad coverage, and those people wouldn’t have been part of the common risk pool,” Lee said. “We are better off all being in this together. We are transforming the individual market and making it better.”
Lee said consumers need to consider all their options. They don’t have to stick with their current company, and higher premiums are only part of the cost equation. Lee said some of these rate hikes will be partially offset by smaller deductibles and lower limits on out-of-pocket medical expenses in the new plans.

Still, many are frustrated at being forced to give up the plans they have now. They frequently cite assurances given by Obama that Americans could hold on to their health insurance despite the massive overhaul.
“All we’ve been hearing the last three years is if you like your policy you can keep it,” said Deborah Cavallaro, a real estate agent in Westchester. “I’m infuriated because I was lied to.”
Supporters of the healthcare law say Obama was referring to people who are insured through their employers or through government programs such as Medicare. Still, they acknowledge the confusion and anger from individual policyholders who are being forced to change.

Cavallaro received her cancellation notice from Anthem Blue Cross this month. The company said a comparable Bronze plan would cost her 65% more, or $484 a month. She doubts she’ll qualify for much in premium subsidies, if any. Regardless, she resents losing the ability to pick and choose the benefits she wants to pay for.
“I just won’t have health insurance because I can’t pay this increase,” she said.
Most Americans are required to have health coverage starting next year or pay a fine of $95 per adult or 1% of their income, whichever is greater. The fines increase over time.

Gee, politicians lied to us. File under “water is wet”.

My favorite from all these “sticker shock” stories is from a twenty-something woman, enraged at the price of the bronze plan she would have to sign up for, “I mean I’m all for everybody having heath care but I didn’t think I’d have to pay for it, like, personally.”

Like this wouldn’t have happened under a “free marketplace.”

This wouldn’t have happened under a free marketplace.

So insurance companies have never raised premiums before? I have yet to see a decrease in any of my insurance premiums across various insurance lines in over 40 years.

Multiple Democrats made claims that health insurance costs would be lower under the Affordable Care Act but many people are seeing price increases.

Nancy Pelosi went as far as to say

And everybody will have lower rates, better quality care and better access

cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57464444

Barack Obama has said multiple times that families would see a $2500 decrease by the end of his first term. Is there a single family that has experienced this decrease?

Exactly - I think what pro-vobis forgets is that the Democrats told us that health insurance costs would decrease, yet they have risen. Apparently its always the same story: Democrat = Republican. “they’re all the same” Which is of course, nonsense.

Ishii

Survey by Kaiser Family Foundation said family coverage from employers had increased $3064 between 2008 and 2012

kff.org/private-insurance/report/2013-employer-health-benefits

We were operating under the free market and it wasn’t happening!:mad:

The problem seems to be that Obamacare mandates particular coverages, thereby limiting companies from offering cheaper policies with limited coverage. Some people don’t want every conceivable item from birth control to prescriptions to routine checkups covered. They would rather pay a cheaper premium and pay for ordinary care on their own. Under Obamacare, there is no such flexibility. Consequently, coverage is mandate, and prices rise.

Sure they have, but not usually 100% and more at once.

Moreover, before when they raised rates, we had more options, including not having insurance.

the problem is it hasn’t been “free Market” for a long time. Prices have gone up for years in part because of Medicare and Medicaid, and also because of private insurance. People are no longer customers of health care services, but only patients.

Two things that would help to dramatically lower health care costs, availability of purchasing across state lines, and TORT reform, remain off the table for the Democrats.

Jon

Don’t be dense.
Of course insurance premiums keep rising well above the rate of inflation (but not 50% at a clip) which is why people demanded government DO SOMETHING!
Well, finally government did. You got your wish.
Remember Pelosi, “You’ve got to vote before you see what’s in it”. That’s cuz every insurance and Big Pharma lobbyist on K Street got to write exceptions and exemptions into the bill.

Watch, after Pelosicare (the President showed zero leadership during the fight in Congress) plays out the insurance companies will make out like bandits, congressional aides will move on to high-paying careers as consultants or lobbyists in the healthcare industry and it will all be the Republican’s fault.

Surprise, surprise.

I went to nursing school straight out of high school. Imagine how fast all my bright, shiny idealism crashed around me when I saw person after person abuse safety net systems.

Seventeen years later, we are in the ditch.
Reimbursement is tied to “patient satisfaction”. Which would be great, if I could exclude the girl who was out-of-control-furious because she couldn’t get sent home with her favorite narcotic for a normal birth, just Tylenol #3. Or the girl who physically assaulted a nurse and a guard because she was high as a kite.

What money are they taking? Oh, 1-2%. Sound like peanuts. Except it’s what the average hospital has for a profit margin.

No profit, no new equipment, no staffing increases, no pay raises, cuts to the educational department, poor morale, staff turnover.

Enter obamacare.
We will be expected to see more people for still less money, when already in the ditch.

Any body still feel good about this?

all obamacare has done/will do is line the pockets of insurance companies. most people think obamacare is socialized medicine but is isnt. it is forcing everyone but a few to purchase insurance from insurance companies. the winner is: INSURANCE COMPANIES, not the poor or middle class or those with religious reasons to protest. insurance companies will be allowed to do as they please and those that still cant afford (and the new that used to afford and now cant) will be penalized by our government. :frowning:

What will happen when all “evil” insurance companies go out of business??? The economy people…JOBS…but hey, they are evil and what will replace it is heaven sent!!!

Maybe in the short-term. The end-game for the progressives is a single payer system, at which time the private insurance companies will no longer have a purpose in American health care. Instead, every American, save the wealthiest and ruling class, will be at the mercy of the central government’s health care monopoly/tyranny.

Jon

Outcome so far of the Affordable Care Act, from the terrible website, to the increasing premiums, is the best advertisement against more government intervention into health care, which is what single payer is, than there could ever probably be. Not that I want to see people with rising health insurance costs but now people are seeing the reality of allowing an increased level of government into health insurance.

Outcome so far of the Affordable Care Act, from the terrible website, to the increasing premiums, is the best advertisement against more government intervention into health care, which is what single payer is, than there could ever probably be. Not that I want to see people with rising health insurance costs but now people are seeing the reality of allowing an increased level of government into health insurance.:eek:

Outcome so far of the Affordable Care Act, from the terrible website, to the increasing premiums, is the best advertisement against more government intervention into health care, which is what single payer is, than there could ever probably be. Not that I want to see people with rising health insurance costs but now people are seeing the reality of allowing an increased level of government into health insurance.:cool:

Outcome so far of the Affordable Care Act, from the terrible website, to the increasing premiums, is the best advertisement against more government intervention into health care, which is what single payer is, than there could ever probably be. Not that I want to see people with rising health insurance costs but now people are seeing the reality of allowing an increased level of government into health insurance.:c:o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.