Some liberal Catholics are thinking: It's payback time, Ratzinger!

From the Telegraph (Damian Thompson’s column):

There is still no good evidence that Pope Benedict XVI is seriously implicated in the atrocious child abuse scandals that are – rightly – blackening the reputation of the institutions of the Catholic Church. But still the attempts to join the dots continue. To put it bluntly, there is an increasingly frantic media campaign against the Pope in which headlines are being written first and then facts shaved to fit them.

It is also clear that many prominent liberal Catholics are turning a blind eye to this media vendetta because they don’t like Pope Benedict. They are happy for him to take the rap for diocesan cover-ups initiated, in some cases, by liberal prelates. Those relates are grateful for the opportunity to pass the buck to the one man who, though his record on this matter is certainly not beyond criticism, has done more than any other to rectify the Church’s lax procedures – Joseph Ratzinger.

My personal theory is that the Church is like a swimmer in a warm ocean. The media are chumming the water. The sharks are doing what sharks do.

Your thoughts?

If the media are still going on about this story and trying to complicit the Pope in a cover up, it’s ludicrous.

The New York Times on March 25 accused Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, of intervening to prevent a priest, Father Lawrence Murphy, from facing penalties for cases of sexual abuse of minors.

The story is false. It is unsupported by its own documentation. Indeed, it gives every indication of being part of a coordinated campaign against Pope Benedict, rather than responsible journalism.

Read more here: corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZDkxYmUzMTQ1YWUyMzRkMzg4Y2RiN2UyOWIzNDVkNDM=

The New York Times on March 25 accused Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, of intervening to prevent a priest, Father Lawrence Murphy, from facing penalties for cases of sexual abuse of minors.

As usual:

ALL THE NEWS THAT’S UNFIT TO PRINT! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

One can also see this as part of a larger problem. Like clockwork every year, the press brings out some blatantly anti-Christian stuff and puts it in the headlines every Easter.

I am a die-hard Catholic, but I must admit that the way the bishops just turn a blind eye to these people year after year is really starting to tick me off. There are “Catholic” organizations promoting abortion, women’s ordination, same-sex marriage: For a Catholic to actually promote such agenda nmakes them the textbook definition of a Heretic. These people are no doubt among those who dislike Benedict.

The bishops need to shake the cobwebs out and start excomminicating people. How long must we suffer Heretics who wave the banner of being Catholic? Are the bishops afraid there will be a mass migration out of the Church if they do that? Frankly that is what I think, that they are afraid of losing numbers. Well I say: Shed the dead wood. The Church would be far more effective if it were leaner and more true to itself.

So you’re looking for this?

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/49/bishopspine.jpg

Pray and do penances for your shepherds.

LOL. Thats great !!!

Amen. They need to clean house wherever it is dirty.

I disagree…
While catholics can chose to do this, to council them to do so (as Benedict has done) without bringing the offenders to justice is wrong. It’s asking the catholic parishioners to do penance for the priests while they live consequence free, like fr. Murphy?
Okay, okay, I’m sure they’ve said their 5 “our fathers” and 10 “hail marys” but why should the catholic parishioners do penance for the priests? Call for them to do their own penance, preferably in public, where it’s visible.
I mean what’s next? Asking the parishioners to pay the settlement fees for the priests misdeeds? Oh wait, that’s already happening.

No one has asked anyone to do any such thing an you are wrong to suggest it that way.

Okay, okay, I’m sure they’ve said their 5 “our fathers” and 10 “hail marys” but why should the catholic parishioners do penance for the priests? Call for them to do their own penance, preferably in public, where it’s visible.

You are way out of line. You profess to be an atheist (“super atheist” no less :rolleyes:) and then impugn your own supposed integrity with remarks like this? You have nothing of value to offer to this discussion from this point on and you certainly have nothing of value to offer as to counsel regarding what we Catholics choose to do in our personal devotions and prayers.

As they say in the street… “Step off”.

Yeah? When will all you n-Cs begin that process? Clean up around your own front door before you come telling me about mine lady.:rolleyes:

I take it that it’s a sore spot. That’s fine and understandable. I just find it interesting that your reply is so very intense right off the bat.
I also find it interesting that the parishioners should be requested do pennance for the priests involved.

You have nothing of value to offer to this discussion from this point on

you just made that assumption on my behalf, did you? :smiley:

and you certainly have nothing of value to offer as to counsel regarding what we Catholics choose to do in our personal devotions and prayers.

Maybe that’s true, and if you don’t want, or value an outside opinion, that’s your bussiness, I guess…

I just think a “super atheist” might have more concern for his own integrity than to misrepresent what others have said. Apparently that doesn’t affect you, though I have seen and heard many like you purport themselves to be just as (or more) moral than any of us.

Yet you don’t even acknowledge that you misstated the person you responded to.

From your posts…I certainly can’t tell.

Him: Pray and do penances for your shepherds.
Me: I disagree…
While catholics can chose to do this,** to council them to do so **(as Benedict has done) without bringing the offenders to justice is wrong.

Bold is where the crux lies.

Okay, now take a deep breath and calm down.

You don’t understand that the Church is One body. We rejoice together, we suffer together, and we atone together. How many times do we see, outside the Church, family members of convicted criminals who publicly atone for the sins of their loved ones? Look at Ted Kazynski’s brother and the way he reached out to the loved ones of those who were killed by his brother and offered help to them. What then, is strange about the Church asking her members to atone for the sins of their brothers and sisters? After all, that’s the message of the Cross, but what’s that to you?

Atheists (perhaps like you) do not, in general, understand this communal atonement, because atheism, by definition, rejects the “other”. It is a completely inward state of life that sees existence as some self-generated fact and not the result of someone else’s activity. A true atheist, at his core, cannot even prove his own existence, much less disprove God’s. :smiley:

Nice little jab there at the end, hu? Okay. I’ll chose not to reciprocate.
The atheist jab aside, I understand the concept of penance, but to the world, and definitely to the victims, it’s a futile gesture, and it seems to be the only gesture made. One man not eating meat is not going to assist the hurt individuals and families. What they really need to do is take responsibility. David Kaczynski played a vital part even in Ted’s capture, and then continued to meet with, and seek ways to reconcile with the victims.
That’s active reconciliation.
In the Kaczynski analogy, it would be like the pope playing an integral part in the capture and prosecuting of the criminals involved and then meeting with, and even setting up systems to help the victims overcome this.
Did he? Is he now? Not as far as I can see.

Bear Claw, just what in the @#$%^ do you people want? The Pope and bishops have apologized and apologized and apologized both on behalf of the church and as individuals. They have apologized to the world and privately to any individuals, both victims and families, who will meet with them.

They have publicly deplored these acts, made no excuses, and humbly given accusers the opportunity to berate them in public and private.

They have paid billions worldwide in reparations and have submitted to and provided what ever was demanded in the way of counseling and therapy.

They have completely overhauled the policies of their parishes and dioceses. They have fully cooperated with civil authorities. They ruthlessly screen candidates for the seminary. They have subjected all these things to agencies of experts outside the church for scrutiny.

While outsiders howl that the church “defrock” this or that priest she has resolutely turned over the guilty for prosecution and laicized the unfit. Bishops, who failed the priests and people in their charge through cowardace, ineptitude, or malice, HAVE been dismissed.

You see, Wolf Claw, no matter what we do, you will never be satisfied. As it is, we have to answer to a far more powerful and all-seeing Judge than you. You we do not fear.

I wonder how far the church will go to make sure justice is done…justice to the children whose lives are affected…
Is the pope willing to step down because of injustices being done during his tenure, as some other bishops have done? Are they willing to sell church treasures to pay for lawsuits as opposed to taking parishioner money and sell church buildings (hence robbing parishioners of their place of worship?

Like Toyota’s persident, Akio Toyoda, taking personal responsibility for the actions of his employees and the repercussions thereof, shouldn’t we expect the same from the church?
(I use toyota, of course, since they had major issues lately and many catholic posters have likened the chruch to a corporation for the purpose of this discussion.)

I guess I’ll have to wait and see…

i agree… I’m tired of Catholics who are not Catholics… If they dont want to believe as the Church teaches… HELLLLLLLOOOOOO!! There are about 40,000 others to choose from…

:confused:

Around my door is clean.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.