Some Megachurches to Close on Christmas

Thought this was an interesting story from Foxnews.com.

Maybe the evangelicals need to teach that not going to church on Sunday is a sin. Doesn’t some other Church teach something about that? :hmmm:

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

WASHINGTON — This Christmas, no prayers will be said in several megachurches around the country. Even though the holiday falls this year on a Sunday, when churches normally host thousands for worship, pastors are canceling services, anticipating low attendance on what they call a family day.

Critics within the evangelical community, more accustomed to doing battle with department stores and public schools over keeping religion in Christmas, are stunned by the shutdown.

It is almost unheard of for a Christian church to cancel services on a Sunday, and opponents of the closures are accusing these congregations of bowing to secular culture.
foxnews.com/story/0,2933,177908,00.html

I can remember a Baptist church in Tampa Florida, an early version of a mega back in the 1930’s, that refused to celebrate Christmas or Easter because they were pagan holidays.

Today they seem to have forgotten whose birthday it is. It is not family day it is Incarnation Day.

The real issue here is that Sunday is Sunday and that means worship.

Even more appalling is the church that will cancel New Year’s Day services even though it is a Sunday. I have a sermon title for that church, “I Thought We Were a Christian Church, Why are You All So Hung Over That I Had to Cancel Worship?”

“Comfortable churches”, I know already, we they have so sucess, if you make what people want, you will have people.

I have a friend who is a fallen away Catholic who attends Willowbrook, one of the mega churches that is closing for Christmas. I invited him to attend Christmas Mass with my family, he said he would give it some serious thought. Maybe this is the Holy Spirit working to bring people home to the Catholic Church.

That’s crazy!

[quote=Lance]I have a friend who is a fallen away Catholic who attends Willowbrook, one of the mega churches that is closing for Christmas. I invited him to attend Christmas Mass with my family, he said he would give it some serious thought. Maybe this is the Holy Spirit working to bring people home to the Catholic Church.
[/quote]

oh good idea, i’ll pray for that:)

WASHINGTON — This Christmas, no prayers will be said in several megachurches around the country. Even though the holiday falls this year on a Sunday, when churches normally host thousands for worship, pastors are canceling services, anticipating low attendance on what they call a family day.

Critics within the evangelical community, more accustomed to doing battle with department stores and public schools over keeping religion in Christmas, are stunned by the shutdown.

It is almost unheard of for a Christian church to cancel services on a Sunday, and opponents of the closures are accusing these congregations of bowing to secular culture.

Go here: foxnews.com/story/0,2933,177908,00.html

Willow Creek in South Barrington, Illinois, is a well known Chicago area megachurch. Here is their “service” schedule (amazing):

[list]
*]Tuesday, December 20, at 7:30 p.m.
*]Wednesday, December 21, at 7:30 p.m.
*]Thursday, December 22, at 7:30 p.m.
*]Friday, December 23, at 5 and 7:30 p.m.
*]Saturday, December 24, at 12:30; 3 and 5:30 p.m.
[/list]I honestly feel sorry for those folks, there is nothing like midnight Mass.

Is Willow Creek closed on Sunday? Is it the same/different as Willow Brook which someone else mentioned?

[quote=Steph700]Is Willow Creek closed on Sunday? Is it the same/different as Willow Brook which someone else mentioned?
[/quote]

My mistake, I said Willowbrook and should have said Willow Creek.

Steph,

No, Willow Creek normally holds services at 9:00 and 11:15 on Sundays. There website does not say what they plan to do with New Years Day.

[quote=Lance]My mistake, I said Willowbrook and should have said Willow Creek.
[/quote]

Gotcha. It can get confusing. My home church in Omaha (evangelical) was called Brookside, it’s part of the Willow Creek association… I am very anxious to talk to my parents about this article… I’ve NEVER been a Willow Creek fan (attended a service there back when I was a protestant) and I think this will give me some major talking points of why my family should try to distance themselves from Willow Creek.

Good night, who closes a CHURCH on Christmas Sunday???

Steph,

Or what sort of Christian Church offers NOTHING on Christmas Day–they are closed for business. Oh well, it really should not surprise us.

[quote=TPJCatholic]Steph,

Or what sort of Christian Church offers NOTHING on Christmas Day–they are closed for business. Oh well, it really should not surprise us.
[/quote]

Business is the key word.:frowning:

Steph,

Yes, most businesses close on Christmas Day. It is no surprise that the megachurches handle it the same way.

[quote=Steph700]Business is the key word.:frowning:
[/quote]

You are right on the money. Willow Creek is a business, my wife has attended several business conferences in the auditorium. She says it is hugh. I know they have several police cars directing traffic into and out of the place on Saturday and Sunday.

I saw this and thought how sad. I pray that the Holy Spirit will guide the congregation of these megachurches and see that their intents and purposes does not fall on traditional Christian beliefs.

I have read someone mention these megachurches are mostly just businesses. BINGO! I think what we are reading is just that. How sad that these people who go to these so called churches are duped.

[quote=IanS]pastors are canceling services, anticipating low attendance on what they call a family day.

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,177908,00.html
[/quote]

Who do they suppose God is - certainly our Father in Heaven? How sad. Makes me wonder if these services are more about the individuals rather than for the glory of God?
Before I sound triumphalistic, I’m sure attendance will be down in Catholic churches for the same reason… :frowning:

Being the only Catholic in my family and having evangelical siblings, there is one important thing I have learned about my Christian faith:

NOTHING and I mean NOTHING is sacred or treated with any reverence outside of the Holy Catholic Church!!!

That’s why I wanted to post this article, because it is solid proof of that fact.

That’s what happens when you take the Altar of Almighty God, throw it into the trash heap and destroy the Source and Summit of your faith.

Then proceed replace it with a pulpit, banging drums, electric guitars, jumbo television screens, and a flashy, obnoxious, song-and-dance man.

Nothing but mile wide, inch deep, sloganeering and bumper sticker religion for the sake of $$$.

Any Catholic Church in the world would still have Mass on Christmas even if the only person that was going to show up was one 90 year-old penniless lady.

Can I get an AMEN?

I feel better now :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.