Some of human's futile attempts

list of human’s futile attempts to try to elevate himself to God. none controversial among Catholics.

1. eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge in a bid to be able to think like God
  2. attempt to build a tower to reach heaven
  3. attempt to build a machine that can calculate what would happen in the future according to mechanic law before chaos theory was discovered
    3a) astrology etc
  4. embryonic stem cell research and some other attempts to try to make human live forever or cure literally all diseases.

[quote=abcdefg]list of human’s futile attempts to try to elevate himself to God. none controversial among Catholics.
(4) embryonic stem cell research and some other attempts to try to make human live forever or cure literally all diseases.
[/quote]

Do you think we should not be working to cure all diseases and prolong life, or just limit research to certain methods?

[quote=MrWhy]Do you think we should not be working to cure all diseases and prolong life, or just limit research to certain methods?
[/quote]

DRB
Gen 6:3 And God said: My spirit shall not remain in man for ever, because he is flesh, and his days shall be a hundred and twenty years.

any cause of death can be called a disease. the idea of “living forever” on earth is simply ridiculous. No one can escape God’s judgement

trying to cure more diseases is good, trying to live forever by curing all diseases isn’t

cloning? Creating life…
Contraception…and abortion…deciding who has the right to life

[quote=abcdefg]DRB
Gen 6:3 And God said: My spirit shall not remain in man for ever, because he is flesh, and his days shall be a hundred and twenty years.

any cause of death can be called a disease. the idea of “living forever” on earth is simply ridiculous. No one can escape God’s judgement

trying to cure more diseases is good, trying to live forever by curing all diseases isn’t

[/quote]

Which diseases should we not try to cure?

[quote=abcdefg]DRB

[/quote]

Curing all diseases will not prolong lifespan. It might let you live longer within the normal lifespan. Curing all diseases is a good aim, providing the means to this end has not been bad.
Prolonging lifespan and life within it is something different. That would involve genetically altering the ageing process. I don’t think anyone has claimed that curing all diseases affects the ageing process. Its a separate issue.
Any cause cause of death cannot be called a disease. If someone is murdered or killed in a car accident these are not diseases.

[quote=MrWhy]Which diseases should we not try to cure?
[/quote]

You should try to cure every disease, but there’re disease(medical situations to be more accurate) you can’t cure. I don’t know which. but God commanded every human must die.

[quote=abcdefg]You should try to cure every disease, but there’re disease(medical situations to be more accurate) you can’t cure. I don’t know which. but God commanded every human must die.

modifying genetics can’t extend life beyond 120 years for most people if not all.

Anyone has any symbolic understanding of that verse?
[/quote]

If you read the notes in the NAB it says that this verse “probably means the time God would still let men live on earth before destroying them with the flood rather than the maximum span of life God would allot to individual men in the future.”

[quote=thistle]If you read the notes in the NAB it says that this verse “probably means the time God would still let men live on earth before destroying them with the flood rather than the maximum span of life God would allot to individual men in the future.”
[/quote]

I don’t have any bible comments then. just download a Protestant comment as I can’t find a Catholic one. and it agrees with you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.