Some of the best holiday music- Muppet Christmas Carol

It’s always been a tradition between mom and I to watch some of our favorite holiday fims. This includes the Muppet Christmas Carol, which accompanying the hilarious nature and antics of the Muppets, offers some of the most enlightening and fulfilling music I’ve ever heard.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

youtube.com/watch?v=6sGh9llxDEE (Bless us all- Tiny Tim’s song)

youtube.com/watch?v=pR_8kmOmxyk (It feels like Christmas- Ghost of Christmas present)

“Bless us all, with playful years…with noisy games and joyful tears.”

May I also recommend the Muppet Christmas album with John Denver? Pair that up with the Vince Guaraldi Charlie Brown Christmas, and you’ve got some nice, nostalgic music from the 60s and 70s for the family, with the bonus being good songwriting/musicianship.

Just checked and the Muppet/Denver album is $6 at Amazon, well worth it.

Miss Piggy: “Five… go-old… rrrrrrings…”

Everyone: “Ba-dum-bum-bum!”

This is near the very top of my all-time Christmas movie favorites!

This about sums up my childhood

Yours too?

I’m pretty sure my vinyl copy of “A Christmas Together” is still in existence in my parents’ basement. It dates back to, oh, I think 1980. I’ve upgraded to CD. Still awesome. :smiley:

I think my favorite bits, comedy-wise, are the voice-overs during the verses of “We Wish You A Merry Christmas”:

Miss Piggy: (indignant)"Piggy pudding?!"
Scooter(?): "No, figgy pudding. Made from figs."
Miss P: "Oh."
Scooter(?): (whisper) "and bacon."
Miss P: “WHAAT?!”

Animal: "won’t go. Won’t go. Won’t go. WON’T GO! WON’T GO! WOOON’T GOOO!"
John Denver: “Animal, SIT!”

I’ve never seen The Muppet Christmas Carol. :o

But the Charlie Brown Christmas special I’m all over! :smiley:

The Muppet Christmas Carol is the only Christmas tradition I have. I MUST watch it every December 25th.

Somewhere, I also have VHS copies of the John Denver and the Muppets Christmas special, and the Muppets Family Christmas.

I LOOOVE that movie, and the soundtrack.

With an open heart…

Such great times!

This film, alongside It’s a Wonderful Life and The Christmas Story.

You need to remedy this tragic situation:D

My favorite version is the one from “Merry Christmas from Sesame Street”

Bert: 5 ar-gyle socks
Grover: 4 woo-lee bears…
Prairie Dawn: 3 footballs
Hard Head Henry Harris: 2 baby frogs
and guess who had this line . . .
and ONE dee- lishus coookie!

Sorry, but the Muppet Christmas Carol was almost a self-parody compared to Emmett Otter and the John Denver Special. You can trace the secularization and New-Age-ization of Christmas over the past 30 years by watching the various Muppet Christmas works.

I haven’t even had the stomach to attempt watching It’s A Very Muppet Christmas Movie–or, if I did, I’ve forgotten it. In fact, reading the summary on Wikipedia just now, it literaly is a paraody of itself, since there’s a parody of GIft of the Magi in Very Muppet, and, of course, Emmett Otter is a heart-warming take on the O. Henry archetype.

That said, the John Denver and the Muppets CD is one of the all-time classic Christmas albums. “It’s In Every One of Us,” partiuclarly sung along while driving around looking at lights, is an essential Christmas tradition for my parents and me.

So many beautiful, openly religious songs. What better Advent song than “When the River Meets the Sea”?

The actual special is an entity to itself. Every now and then, I look to see if it’s available for sale. Some fragments show up on YouTube.
Interestingly, many years ago (maybe as far back as 1998), I was looking at henson.com to see about the availability of the John Denver special on DVD or VHS, and it was actually their #1 FAQ.

It’s availalbe at the television museum in NYC, but it has never been released. I’m assuming there’s some kind of copyright/licensing issue involved, but I haven’t been able to track down what it is.

But, over the years, they’ve gone from very overtly religious Christmas material to semi-neutered “Christmas is a time for love and family” to Whoopi Goldberg playing God.

Thanks for the interesting background. That’s a sad trend of secularization you’ve noted.

I barely remember the special, but it would be a really nice thing to share with my kids now. Hopefully it reappears someday.

I went to the library yesterday and picked up the DVD. Thanks for reminding me of this classic!

I know this is an old thread and out of season, but I’m a newcomer so I had to get my two cents in!

My family LOVED “Muppet Family Christmas” and “The Christmas Toy” as well…the first one had very positive themes such as the whole family getting together (Muppet Show, Sesame Street, and Fraggle Rock all in one place-only time that’s ever happened), “Pass It On” (the Fraggles’ tradition)…and my whole family had tears come to our eyes when the Jim Henson cameo came up (so happy to see his creations all gather together, he’s going to handle the dishes being washed). Plus where else can you hear “I Saw Three Ships,” “Good King Wenceslaus” (who is a Saint), and “The Holly and the Ivy” in any special, much less a medley, nowadays? “The Christmas Toy” was really cool too…it basically taught about how selfish pride can make you lose sight of everyone who really does love and care about you, the willingness to risk our own lives to save others in danger, and the power of true unconditional love which is stronger than even death (as was so beautifully shown). Plus naming the wise old bear Balthazaar was a cool touch.

I agree with you though…since Jim Henson died in 1990, the whole thing’s gone downhill.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.