Some papal quotes

I’m not exactly one for looking at Jack Chick comics, but I happened to look at some the other day. I was wondering where–if anywhere–some of the popes make these statements. Chick doesn’t provide the citations, naturally. Although he does claim that the popes were making infallible statements. Anyway:

“He (the pope) judges all, and is judged by no one.”–Pope Innocent III

“We declare, assert, define and pronounce: to be subject to the Roman Pontiff is to every human creature altogether necessary for salvation”–Pope Boniface VIII

“We hold upon this earth the place of God Almighty”–Pope Leo XIII

You do have to read in context. The Pope is the Vicar of Christ, or the man who stands in for the King whilst He is engaged on business abroad.
When this was challenged Popes tended to get worked up over the issue. Hence the intemperate language. However they were right.

My only comment is to note that everything the Pope says is NOT to considered to be “infalliable” by the Church. Common mis-conception.

Exactly! Not everything the Pope says is infallible. In fact, very few things that he says is infallible.

“We declare, assert, define and pronounce: to be subject to the Roman Pontiff is to every human creature altogether necessary for salvation”–Pope Boniface VIII

That’s quite clearly an infallible statement.
However the context is people who didn’t dispute the primacy of the See of Rome on theological grounds, but wanted to be independent of the Pope’s rulings for political reasons. So qualifications to “every human creature” are in fact implied. Those Protestants who would be Catholics if they knew the real historical and theological facts, but have been misled by clever propagnada into thinking that the Pope isn’t the real successor to Peter, are not necessarily included.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.