Some parts of Mass in Latin during Lent

At my parish, throughout the season of Lent, the Kyrie is done in Greek. And the Sanctus and Agnus Dei are done in Latin. However, it is only done during 2 out of 3 of the Masses that are held at my parish, they are considered the “conservative” masses. It’s this something that occurs normally throughout the church? I think it’s pretty cool, but I’m why they feel the necessity to sing these parts of the Mass in Latin.

To clarify, these parts of the mass are done in Latin only during the season of Lent. Throughout the rest of the year, they are done in English.

My parish does similarly (also during Advent). I would not call it *normal *in the sense that I know of no requirement nor even recommendation to do so.

:twocents: However I think it is a fine way for parishes to educate and maintain the practice for the faithful, and to implement the expression of GIRM #41:

1. … Since faithful from different countries come together ever more frequently, it is fitting that they know how to sing together at least some parts of the Ordinary of the Mass in Latin, especially the Creed and the Lord’s Prayer, set to the simpler melodies.

tee
Still waiting for his music ministers to teach him *the *Credo *and the *Pater Noster, set to the simpler melodies

I like the fact that they do that. It gives it a more solemn feel, in an sense.

I don’t see why it should be reserved for special seasons only, given the directive from Sacrosanctum Concilium.

Our local NO parish does the same thing. The priest said its more reverent. So I’m assuming (always get in trouble doing this) that the rest of the year its proper to be irreverent (tongue in cheek).

Thank God for an EF within driving distance.

Ditto :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.