Some Passages Contra Sola Fide

I am trying to gather together an impressive list of Biblical passages which, in one way or another, undermine the doctrine of Sola Fide. I have a list going, which I’ll provide. I was wondering, however, if people here would like to contribute to that list if they can think of passages which aren’t included in my list (depending on how obscure, I may ask you to explain how it connects to Sola Fide).

[LIST]
*]James 2:24
*]Colossians 1:24
*]Philippians 2:12-13
*]Romans 2:6-8
*]Matthew 10:22
*]1 Corinthians 15:2
*]2 Timothy 2:12
*]Hebrews 4:11
*]2 Peter 2:20-21
*]John 15:10
*]Matthew 25:33-35
*]John 15:1,6
*]James 1:12
*]Matthew 7:21
*]Matthew 24:13
*]John 5:28-29
*]Revelation 22:12
*]1 Timothy 4:16
[/LIST]

Any takers?

Although you are specifically asking for Canonical references, as an aside it may be of use in the future to have a quick traditional reference (Catechism):

CCC 1987: The* grace of the Holy Spirit *has the power to justify us, that is, to cleanse us from our sins and to communicate to us “the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ” and through Baptism.

Yeah, not really what I’m after at the moment. Thanks for playing. :slight_smile:

For a scriptural reference or two, specifically in alignment for what you asked :):

Romans 3:24 - Being justified freely by his grace, through the redemption, that is in Christ Jesus,

Ephesians 2:8 - For by grace you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, for it is the gift of God;

The previously mentioned CCC entry is in alignment with the above quoted passages.

Have a good one.

So, I am definitely more appreciate of this than I am of the previous comment (this one actually plays by the rules, responds to the OP rather than merely reacting to it). My only difficulty, now, is in seeing how either of those passages can be taken to undermine Sola Fide. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Think of the first post as an a priori addendum to the second rather than a breaking of the rules ;), but I understand what you’re saying. It was meant to be as an aside without derailment.

Sola fide hasn’t been defined here in the post yet, so I’ll quote the literal meaning (which may be seen as sort of funny since it’s in Latin). It means to be justified by faith alone, and from how it has been presented it is usually in reaction to someone’s saying that they are justified by their works or by faith and works. The passages mentioned seem to go beyond both of those statements and to equate justification to an act of God freely given as God sees fit.

The Romans passage is explicit with grace as being the means to justification, and the Ephesians passage is explicit as to grace being a gift. Together they show that faith is a necessary ingredient, but not alone. It could be argued that faith is a grace, but it seems that when someone speaks of Sola fide, it is with the idea that faith is a regular choice or response, albeit in a very true sense every potential act of man is a grace because through God we move and have our being.

It seems then that to be justified is a pronouncement, one could say a judgment, of God, and this is not equivalent to say one’s belief therefore justifies them, which is what it seems Sola Fide is implying, though it seems this judgment is contingent upon one’s having faith, as Hebrews 11:6 has it: “without faith it is impossible to please God”.

I apologize if this doesn’t seem beneficial.
God speed with your studies/work.
See ya.

Is that it? Nobody else?

1st Corinthians 7:19
Revelation 2:1-5
Matthew 3:8-9
Romans 1:5
Romans 16:26

Romans 2:6-13New American Bible (Revised Edition) (NABRE)

6 who will repay everyone according to his works:[a] 7 eternal life to those who seek glory, honor, and immortality through perseverance in good works, 8 but wrath and fury to those who selfishly disobey the truth and obey wickedness. 9 Yes, affliction and distress will come upon every human being who does evil, Jew first and then Greek. 10 But there will be glory, honor, and peace for everyone who does good, Jew first and then Greek. 11 There is no partiality with God.

Judgment by the Interior Law. 12 All who sin outside the law will also perish without reference to it, and all who sin under the law will be judged in accordance with it. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are just in the sight of God; rather, those who observe the law will be justified.

Galatians 6:7 Make no mistake: God is not mocked, for a person will reap only what he sows, 8 because the one who sows for his flesh will reap corruption from the flesh, but the one who sows for the spirit will reap eternal life from the spirit.

1 Corinthians 13:1-3New American Bible (Revised Edition) (NABRE)

Chapter 13
1 If I speak in human and angelic tongues** but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal. 2 And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Galatians 5:6New American Bible (Revised Edition) (NABRE)

6 For in Christ Jesus, neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.[a]**

Hi, Tyrel!

…I simply have a slight moderation to offer… change the term “undermine” to a more favorable one such as “counter” or “dissuade” or “debunk” and I would drop the term “impressive” altogether (in my mind and for future exchanges–since our goal is to bring others to the Fold not just check, counter check or battle).

…as for the passages, I would include:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]15 ‘If your brother does something wrong, go and have it out with him alone, is between your two selves. If he listens to you, you have won back your brother. 16 If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you: the evidence of two or three witnesses is required to sustain any charge. 17 But if he refuses to listen to these, report it to the community; and if he refuses to listen to the community, treat him like a pagan or a tax collector. 18 ‘I tell you solemnly, whatever you bind on earth shall be considered bound in heaven; whatever you loose on earth shall be considered loosed in heaven.

(St. Matthew 18:15-18)

14 At the moment of writing to you, I am hoping that I may be with you soon; 15 but in case I should be delayed, I wanted you to know how people ought to behave in God’s family – that is, in the Church of the living God, which upholds the truth and keeps it safe. (1 Timothy 3:14-15)

16 That is why I beg you to copy me 17 and why I have sent you Timothy, my dear and faithful son in the Lord: he will remind you of the way that I live in Christ, as I teach it everywhere in all the churches. (1 Corinthians 4:16-17)

…30 When Philip ran up, he heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and asked, ‘Do you understand what you are reading?’ 31 ‘How can I’ he replied ‘unless I have someone to guide me?’ So he invited Philip to get in and sit by his side…

36 Further along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, ‘Look, there is some water here; is there anything to stop me being baptised? 38 He ordered the chariot to stop, then Philip and the eunuch both went down into the water and Philip baptised him… (Acts 8:26-39)
…in each of the above examples there were issues with the Believers and not once was it determined that “sola” Scriptura was the way to go–when we search/study Scriptures and Church history we come to understand that “sola” Scriptura is a fallacy construct.

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.