Some questions about the last judgment

WARNING: This will be kinda long and full of a ton of different Bible verses.

Hi, I’m asking three questions because I’m confused about the places people go after the Last Judgment. According to most Christians you ask, after the Last Judgment people will either go to Heaven or Hell right?

Well, I have these 3 questions.

[LIST=1]
*]According to revelation, the saved will go to a New Heaven, New Earth, (Revelation 21:1) and a New Jerusalem. (Revelation 21:10). What confuses me is in Revelation 21:1, it says that the “old heaven and earth” passed away. I know our present earth is going to be gone. But Heaven? So basically, the Bible is saying that there’s going to be NEW Heaven. So does that mean the Heaven that saved people go to, will be gone? And that will be at the Last Judgment, we’ll be sent to a new one?
*]Also, about the New Earth, Jehovah’s Witnesses (and no I’m not one) believe that most good people will go to the New Earth, and only 144,000 people go to New Heaven. What is the Catholic teaching on the New Earth?
*]In Revelation 20:14, it says death and Hell were cast into the Lake of Fire. Does this mean Hell and the Lake of Fire are two totally different places?
[/LIST]

1. There are a number of heavens, three. The first heaven is the atmosphere where birds fly, the second is the space between our existence and the edge of the universe. The third is God’s realm. The first heaven where birds fly is the heaven that is being referred to.

2. Can’t answer.

3. The word should be translated Hades, Death and Hades were cast into Hell. It is not Death and Hades themselves that are cast into Hell, but the souls who belong to them, the living and the dead who have rejected God. Hades is a holding place. Hell is the final destination juxtaposed to Heaven.

Oh, okay. :hmmm:

Ahh…but wait. So Hades and Hell are not the same place? And what is Hades a holding place for? Who goes there?

Hades is the abode of the dead awaiting deliverance from there to somewhere. When Jesus Christ ascended into heaven he lead a host of captives from Hades, He descended He ascended. Ephesians 4:7-10. Citing Psalm 68:18. The way to Heaven was open and Jesus took all the righteous from the OT with Him. The remaining in Hades are those awaiting judgment but they don’t share in the current age. For the saints who die in Jesus Christ, the way is open to Heaven, He has already opened it, but others go to Hades, awaiting the final judgment when Jesus returns, and their judgment may send them to the fiery place (though it is not literal fire). So Death (those destined to die but haven’t) and Hades (those who have died but haven’t necessarily been saved) are thrown into Hell.

[quote="followingtheway, post:1, topic:337330"]
WARNING: This will be kinda long and full of a ton of different Bible verses.

Hi, I'm asking three questions because I'm confused about the places people go after the Last Judgment. According to most Christians you ask, after the Last Judgment people will either go to Heaven or Hell right?

Well, I have these 3 questions.

[LIST=1]
]According to revelation, the saved will go to a *New** Heaven, New Earth, (Revelation 21:1) and a New Jerusalem. (Revelation 21:10). What confuses me is in Revelation 21:1, it says that the "old heaven and earth" passed away. I know our present earth is going to be gone. But Heaven? So basically, the Bible is saying that there's going to be NEW Heaven. So does that mean the Heaven that saved people go to, will be gone? And that will be at the Last Judgment, we'll be sent to a new one?

[/quote]

The " Heaven " refered to here is the universe outside the earth. The New Earth and the New Heaven refers to a reconstituted physical universe, one more attune to our glorified bodies. It is also refered to as the New Jerusalem because it will be where God dwells with His faithful.

As far as what will happen to us after the final judgement, we know by Faith that the condemned will enter a place or state of eternal suffering and the just will inhabit the New Earth and the New Heaven, which will also be the special place where the Blessed Trinity and Jesus Christ and the Blessed Mother will reign.

*]Also, about the New Earth, Jehovah's Witnesses (and no I'm not one) believe that most good people will go to the New Earth, and only 144,000 people go to New Heaven. What is the Catholic teaching on the New Earth?

Don't listen to these people. First of all, they hate Catholics, secondly, they don't know what they are talking about. No one knows how many will be saved or lost.

*]In Revelation 20:14, it says death and Hell were cast into the Lake of Fire. Does this mean Hell and the Lake of Fire are two totally different places?
[/LIST]

No one knows. Does it matter? I think not.

Linus2nd

Jehovah’s witnesses do not believe in a literal new heaven or new earth. They believe that the current earth will be gradually restored, and that heaven does not need to be made new. So they interpret those scriptures of new earth and heavens to mean symbolically mankind and rule/government. In the bible, heavens does mean rule/governing a lot of times. I think they are probably correct in this interpretation, but I have never really read much Catholic interpretations of these verses. Looking at footnotes, the Catholic understanding is similar, not new in substance, but new in quality.

Jehovah’s witnesses however have made up their own doctrines and can mislead many that do not know better. They divide the Body of Christ by preaching 2 distinct kinds of Christians.

Why listen to them? A lot of them are x-Catholics besides. What kind of truth will you learn from them?

Linus2nd

It’s not that I listen to them, but that I used to be one(I was raised in it). I was just trying to correct some of the statements the OP sayed. But I do think for me it is important to never forget the false teachings of this heretical group, so that I am more able to help anyone I can from falling for their sneaky tactics. I also still have my Mother, Father, Brother, and Sister in there. I must be keen on their teachings to know how best to emphasize important parts to Christianity that they are missing.

I do agree, that Catholics without Jehovah’s Witness family or friends would do better not speaking to them at all, unless they are very well catechized.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.