Some questions regarding Catholic practice as shown in this video

youtube.com/watch?v=fHZtbnaXuGk

I’m sorry that I couldn’t find another video; I could only find the one that compares it to Orthodoxy.

According to Youtube this Church is the “Second largest Catholic Basilica in the world.”

Has any attempt by the Pope or by Cardinals, or the Catholic clergy at large tried to put a stop to the most likely blasphemous practice going on during Mass here?

Is this Church considered a “Protestant Church” as soon as something like this happens? How can these people at large be considered ‘Catholic’ in a 'Catholic Church" at all? Can someone please explain how this is even possible within Catholicism?

Also, the video does have a point in that something like this could never happen within Orthodoxy. Would it be correct to say that? Or do similar things ever happen within the Orthodox Church?

Is the Catholic basilica the Basilica of the National Shrine of our Lady of Aparecida in Brazil? According to Wikipedia, it is the second largest basilica in terms of area.

The basilica looked a lot different when Pope Francis was there -

Pope Francis’ visit to Aparecida

I can’t think of a good explanation for that odd “performance” Mass with skaters and carnival atmosphere but I imagine somebody had some 'splaining to do.

Well for starters comparing the Orthodox to that specific Catholic mass is not really the same is it?

Very disingeneous and dishonest of the producer’s of the video :dts:

Why did they not select to show a high mass at the Vatican as a more representative “Roman liturgy” for comparison?
I doubt that the Orthodox mass shown was a regular weekly mass :rolleyes:

The Roman Catholic Church has many Liturgies that span the whole globe, even masses that ARE Orthodox per se in the Oriental Churches, She also has masses where the faithfull dance as a form of worship (African Liturgies).

She allows this because She understands that not all humans have the same traditions and accepts and molds the local customs to reflect the people without changing the fundamental structure of the mass. If I attended the mass at that Brazilian site I am sure I would find it strange BUT the important elements (the Readings, the Gospel, Homily, and Eucharist) would all be there. Perhaps I will not understand the Homily as I do not speak Brazilian Portuguese but I still receive the graces of the Eucharist and it will be the same as if I took it at my parish or at the Vatican. :thumbsup:

People should really concentrate on what is really important and that is to be reverent and collected at ANY mass they attend to and leave WHICH mass to attend to matters of personal and cultural preference.

Don’t believe everything that you see on Youtube. It was not a “Comparison of Catholic and Orthodox Liturgical Practices.” It was a hate video. A sober Eastern Orthodox person would be ashamed of it.

Here’s a better one: youtube.com/watch?v=dApWNfJgGC4

The Second Vatican Council forbids music to be used in Mass that doesn’t accord with the dignity of the Mass:

“[Recent] instruments also may be admitted for use in divine worship…only on condition that the instruments are suitable, or can be made suitable, for sacred use, accord with the dignity of the temple, and truly contribute to the edification of the faithful.” (Sacrosanctum Concilium 120)

And: “Let [composers] produce compositions which have the qualities proper to genuine sacred music.” (Sacrosanctum Concilium 121)

I think that Bishops are supposed to govern the admission of these instruments and musical compositions. In the case you posted, I think it is possible that some bishop wasn’t doing his job, though I would like to know the context to get a better understanding. Perhaps in that culture, the song that sounds to us like a carnival song has more solemnity.

As for the carnival-looking apparatus and roller skaters, I don’t see how that could be justified, but I’d like to see an argument from someone on the other side so that I could consider it in more detail.

Is this Church considered a “Protestant Church” as soon as something like this happens?

I don’t think a Catholic Church becomes Protestant whenever a liturgical abuse occurs.

How can these people at large be considered ‘Catholic’ in a 'Catholic Church" at all?

Perhaps it is related to this: it is my understanding that committing a sin doesn’t ordinarily remove you from the Church. If those actions were sinful, therefore, I do not think they would remove the participants from the Church.

Also, the video does have a point in that something like this could never happen within Orthodoxy. Would it be correct to say that? Or do similar things ever happen within the Orthodox Church?

What would stop it from happening? Opposition from the Orthodox bishops? I think the opposition of Catholic bishops is what ordinarily stops liturgical abuses from happening in Catholic cathedrals. The problem is when a Catholic bishop doesn’t oppose a liturgical abuse. I think the same thing could conceivably happen if an Orthodox bishop didn’t oppose a liturgical abuse. If someone argued that such a situation is impossible in an Orthodox church, I would wonder what he thinks would prevent their bishops from accepting such practices, and what evidence he has.

That video made me laugh out loud and also feel a bit sad all at the same time!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.