Some questions

Hi,

I am deepening my faith. I have some questions. If you have some answers that can enlighten me, please write back.

1-What does “infallible” mean? Popes like Pope Leo X were corrupt. I believe that there were 10 of them in the past, but most of them were not. If a pope is supposed to be “infallible”, why is it that there are some who were corrupt?

2-What does “virgin” mean? In the Scriptures, it is mentioned that Mary was a virgin before conceiving Jesus through the Holy Spirit. How can someone have a baby without any biological union with someone? What do Catholics believe?

3-We Catholics believe in sacred tradition. The words “sacred tradition” are mentioned here and there in the bible with words like “traditions” etc. I’m aware that Jesus left us things that were not fully explicit in the bible. However, what do we do today that shows Sacred Tradition? What practices do we have that show this? What is it concretely speaking?

Thanks,
Templum

First I shall tell you what *infallible *does not mean. *Infallible *does not mean impeccable.

When we say the pope is *infallible *we mean that under specific conditions when the pope, or all the bishops in union with the pope, teaches on a matter of faith or morals, he will not commit error.

Miraculously.
Catholics believe the virginal birth of Jesus was miraculous.

tee

<<3-We Catholics believe in sacred tradition. The words “sacred tradition” are mentioned here and there in the bible with words like “traditions” etc. I’m aware that Jesus left us things that were not fully explicit in the bible. However, what do we do today that shows Sacred Tradition? What practices do we have that show this? What is it concretely speaking?>>

Number 1 and 2 have already been answered.

The various liturgical practices that are common in ALL the ancient liturgies, for example.

To mention a few things at random, all have anointing with the oil of Catechumens, all have a Eucharistic rite that divides into two parts: Liturgy of the Word and Liturgy of the Table, all have a hierarchial ministry of bishops, priests, and deacons (even those churches that were separated from Rome by centuries and hundreds of miles), all have Sunday as the main day of worship, all have some form of the Divine Office.

Will these do for samples?

1. Infallible: The Church has the charism from God of teaching infallibly (i.e. without error) under specific limited conditions.

2. Virgin means not having had intercourse.

3. Tradition is contained in the teachings of the Church’s Magisterium

Hi,

I want to thank you all for your replies. They were very useful.

Templum

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.