Some superb thoughts as to why we get a cross as revealed to my patron St Gemma by Jesus Himself. You'll like this. Check it out. And comment if you like

My dear friends

This spoke straight to the depths of my heart and soul when I read it. Hope you like it.

Jesus once said to me: “Do you know, daughter, for what reason I send crosses to souls dear to me? I desire to possess their souls, entirely, and for this I surround them with crosses, and I enclose them in sufferings and tribulation, that they may not escape from my hands; and for this I scatter thorns, that souls may fasten their affections upon no one, but find all content in Me alone. My daughter, if you do not feel the cross it cannot be called a cross. Be sure that under the cross you will not be lost. The demon has no strength against those souls who for My love groan under the cross. 0 My daughter, how many would have abandoned Me if they had not been crucified. The cross is a gift too precious, and from it come many virtues."
I prayed then to Jesus that He would not concede to me any grace except that of loving Him very much, and Jesus said: “Oh soul dear to me, if you truly love Me, behold My chalice; you can drink it to the last drop. On this chalice I have placed My lips, and I want you to drink it.” I told Jesus to do with me as He would. And then He said to me: "I have sent this cross to you, you do not appreciate it; rather it is contrary to your desire, but the more it is contrary, the more it is like Mine. Would it not seem to you a dreadful thing to see a father in the midst of sorrow and the children enjoying them
selves? When I shall be your Spouse of blood, I will come to you, but crucified; show your love to me as I have shown it toward you, and do you know how? By suffering, pains, and crosses without number. You ought, therefore, to consider yourself honored, if I lead you on paths hard and painful; if I permit that you be tor*mented by the demon, that the world despise you, that persons most dear to you afflict you, and with daily martyrdom, I permit your soul to be purified and tested. And you, daughter, think only of practicing great virtue; run in the path of the Divine Will, humbled, assured, that if I hold you to the cross, I love you.”

God bless you dear friends:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

wowww that is so interesting that you would post this today, because: yesterday I went through a pretty difficult trial and I almost doubted this idea, that God allows crosses out of love for us. I’m really sad that I doubted His goodness :frowning: but I hope this would help me remember.

I asked Him, Lord why did you give me a cross that’s almost too much for me to deal with. And why do I not like it at all.

I see now that the less I like it, the more of a gift it is. what an opportunity to die to self and to learn obedience and true love for God. When we love Him in suffering, that is true love.

I do love the quote, it’s beautiful and spoke to me too.

God bless :slight_smile:

Last night, I watched the Health Channel. The story was about three people who suffered from the Elephant Man disease, and another whose genetic skin disorder had,unfortunately, earned him the name of Snake Man. One was a woman whose facial tumor had dragged one side of her face down so far that she had lost her left eye. The only solution was the removal of some of the largest tumors on one patient.

I wondered why God would allow such suffering. And I hoped that they would be made whole and beautiful when they died. They all bore terrible crosses and yet all, Muslims, had faith in God.

I read in a book by St Alphonsus Liguori (“Practice of the Love of Jesus Christ”) that sufferng can either send us to heaven or to hell. If we use it to grow closer to God… if we trust Him and offer the suffering to Him… it can sanctify us and make us Saints. If we despair, it can however cause us to lose our souls.

I think that often we (at least I) waste our sufferings. They could be used to help souls, and they could help us learn how to love God as He loved us. Jesus loved us when He was on the Cross, while being killed by His own creation for our sins! the only way to learn to love Him back is also through suffering. That is why I think St Therese said at the end of her life… that she is not able to suffer anymore, because all suffering is sweet to her.

Hi John. I’m not Catholic so I hope it’s OK to post in this part of the forum. This was quite beautiful. “Beautiful” isn’t the right word but I can’t put my finger on the right one just now. Whatever the word is to describe the beauty that stirs the soul; that’s the word. I just don’t know what that word is. Thank you for posting this :slight_smile:

Peace with you.

I know what you mean :wink:

Thank you John, this came at just the right time for me to pass on, God speaks to us through each other. God bless you, from a transplanted oz of some 63 years ago, say hello to Sydney for me, I miss her. :byzsoc: Carlan

St Gemma is great isn’t she. She helps me a lot. My patroness. Thank you for sharing dear Monica:)

May the Gem of Christ bless you without ceasing:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

My dear friend

Sad stories. We will be made whole in the life to come. Blame the devil for this, and thank God for turning it all into a blessing for us at the same time.

May the Gem of Christ bless you abundantly:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

Thank you for that dear Monica. Great input here. St Therese was great wasn’t she. We should love the cross if we can because then we are truly free. Nothing is a burden any longer. St Therese clearly found this out. I hope I can be like her one day.

St Therese, Little Flower, show us how to love:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

My dear friend

You may not be catholic but you have God in your heart and soul. I can see that. I’ll pray for you as you are possibly discerning religions or at least here to learn a little about the catholic faith.:thumbsup::slight_smile:

May the Gem of Christ ( St Gemma ) reveal Jesus’ will for you and pray to Him for you without end:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

Hello from Sydney my dear friend

Glad you liked it. I love St Gemma. She’s great.

May the Gem of Christ assist you in all your needs and intercede for you always with her Spouse:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

thank you John! :slight_smile: God bless you!

amen :crossrc:

Thank you John for your blessings. You already gave me one by posting the message from St. Gemma. It reminded me of why we have crosses to bear and of God’s love. Interesting that I went to bed last night praying for these people and wondering why and then found your message this morning.

As sad as the stories were, three had families who loved them just as they were. The fourth, the woman who was alone, was found to have cancer and was taken home to God. Her prayers were answered.

God be with you too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.