Some surprising statements on the Catholic Answers website.

I read this on the Catholic Answers main page, and was a bit surprised at its tone.

catholic.com/library/endless_jihad.asp

Does anyone else feel that it seems out of place?

[quote=CSN]%between%Does anyone else feel that it seems out of place?
[/quote]

Speaking for myself, it is not out of place. In addition I found it pretty straight forward about what we are facing in the future as Christians and Westerners. We are in a clash of civilizations and religions. Islam intends, and has always intended, to “convert” the world by force. There were a few parts I could quibble with, but overall it was factual and measured.

I was pleased to see a realistic and frank analysis of jihad. The history of Islam is violent, the goal is submission of the whole world and the world seems anxious to deny the truth about Islam. I don’t care to wait until we need another Lepanto, or until Islam is knocking on the gates of Vienna once again.

[quote=CSN]I read this on the Catholic Answers main page, and was a bit surprised at its tone.

[/quote]

Only for those who like to hide their collective head in a sandbar would it be out of place, I should think. Seems right on to me.

I agreed with it 100%.

What part did you feel was “out of place?”

Well written, thoughtful, and exhibited a broad knowledge of Islam.

What would be the problem with this?

Absolutely not! It may not be politically correct, but then that’s not the goal of truth.

There may be individual Muslims who are very good people, but Islam is NOT a religion of peace. We cannot forget about the crusades, and we cannot ignore the problems in the middle east that have crept up ever since Israel was given sovereignty. Hear the comments of Ayatollah Khomeni and Osama bin Laden and you can see what Islam’s version of peace is.

The question is whether Islam can adapt itself to the modern world, or whether it will remain stuck in the 7th century.

I think that a moderate Muslim state is possible, but made more difficult by the religious precept that the state and the religion must be essentially one.

I think it was Hilaire Belloc who noted that Islam has bloody borders.

Can’t people look at statements made by right wing fundamentalists and paint all Christians with the same brush?

[quote=CSN]Can’t people look at statements made by right wing fundamentalists and paint all Christians with the same brush?
[/quote]

NO. You can have extremists in any group or religion but the point here is that Islam is NOT a religion of peace but Christianity IS a religion of peace.

[quote=CSN]I read this on the Catholic Answers main page, and was a bit surprised at its tone.

[/quote]

This is a GOOD article unafraid to tell it as it is.

Love and peace,

Mom of 5

What about Judaism? Basically our Old Testament…

Isn’t that fairly violent ?

[quote=CSN]Can’t people look at statements made by right wing fundamentalists and paint all Christians with the same brush?
[/quote]

Christians haven’t blown up people all over the world in the name of God, nor do we preach murder and suicide bombing from our pulpits.

Truth these days about Islam is politically incorrect. I am glad to see Catholic Answers has not gone down that path.

I do not know if they have had Robert Spencer on yet (he has been on Al Kresta a number of times), but he has the same view of Islam. I have read The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (And the Crusades) by him and am thinking of getting some other books by him.

PF

[quote=thistle]NO. You can have extremists in any group or religion but the point here is that Islam is NOT a religion of peace but Christianity IS a religion of peace.
[/quote]

Christianity is a religion of peace? Really how can you say a religion is a religion of peace or violence? The adherents of religions can sin, that doesn’t make the religion a religion of violence.

I cannot understand how you would come to your viewpoint, could you please elaborate

This piece has been up for a couple of years. Compared to a lot of other religious-based tracts on Islam, I’d say it’s pretty tame, reasonable. It is an opinion piece, not doctrine.

Also, peace and forgiveness are the messages of Jesus. So Christianity is a religion of peace. Christians, however, have been mighty unpeaceful at times throughout history.

Truth is never out of place. I think we misconstrue the love the sinner hate the sin stuff too much when we concentrate only on the people and never the sin. Heretics may have rights but heresy does not. Attack the philosophy and love the individual nonetheless.

For example, it is not a coincidence that AIDS struck the gay male community once the “shackles” of Biblical morality from both the OT and NT were cast aside. Anal sex is casual at its nature and all about fleeting pleasure. It does not create new life or strengthen a pair bond like heterosexual intercourse can. Some argue that AIDS just happened to hit the gay men first. Well, why did it hit them first? Because of the sexual mechanics and lack of morals. One must never treat intercourse as casually as a handshake. Colds spread with handshakes, AIDS comes about with sodomy.

My friend said that he and his partner were tested so they could refrain from condom use since they were in a relationship. He said that the counselor said some men admit to hundreds of partners. Maybe Warren Beatty and Walt Frazier have that many encounters on our side but with straight men needing to convince a woman to sleep with sex takes longer to engage in and I trust the numbers are much different between the average number of partners for straight sexually active men and practicing homosexual men. What is the AVERAGE amount of time between first meeting a person and having intercourse between two gay men and a straight couple? Have any of the newly married gays waited to their honeymoon?

Moving on to the point of this thread. Islam is not a religion of peace. Clearly, Mohammed was a military leader in a way that neither Jesus nor Moses was. The old joke is that Jesus saves but Moses invests. What does Mohammed do? He attacks, infidel!!

I have not read the Koran but judging Islam by its fruits it has waged many a war over the years. Likewise, it was able to take advantage of the power vacuum left by the fall of the Western Empire. Spain and Greece were conquered and they were banging on the gates of Vienna not that long ago. That is not to say that Christians have been perfect.

Look at our major issue as Catholics that the Church rails against; ABORTION. Our teachings clearly abhor it but I have NEVER heard nor heard of ANY PRIEST preaching from the pulpit that one must kill doctors that abort women or kill the women who have abortions. Do that and you will go to heaven.

The difference between Islam and Christianity is that while the Celts and others may have been brutal before their conversions they have ceased those behaviors and grown. The Arabs on the other hand have a brutal streak that was tempered a bit by the religion but redirected into new religious avenues. I have never heard of an Irish custom to protect honor by killing a sexually active unmarried female relative even a rape victim. That is a “honor” in the Mideast though. Very peaceful.

Christian extremists are criticized both by others and the powers that be. Islam does not seem able to reign in the crazies. We think they are crazy but apparently they do not.

We must pray and witness to the truth.

Hi CSN, I see as the author using a hook to catch the readers interrest, nothing more.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.