Some theological questions

Umm… pardon me? How do you figure that?!?!?

Psst… Genesis 1:27 disagrees with you. Just sayin’… :roll_eyes:

p.s., Genesis 1:28 really disagrees with you. After saying that God created humanity as “male and female”, the text reads, “God blessed them and God said to them: Be fertile and multiply.”

Not “him”. “Them”. :wink:

quote blanchardmanend quote

[QUOTE]This would have made mankind unique among all mammals.[/QUOTE[

Hmmm, humanity is already unique as being the ONLY Rational creatures CREATED by God in His VERY Image, with a mind, intellect and freewill permanently attached to our souls.

God Bless you

If God removed His light from the world how long would it take until mankind is living like animals ruled by base insticts?

27 So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God created he mankind; male/ female created he mankind.
Where in this verse does it exclude the possibility of mankind being mono-gendered and self reproducing?

“God blessed them and God said to them: Be fertile and multiply.”

“Them”= "mankind"
Nothing here necessitates two seperate genders.

You’re misquoting the verse. The actual verse is:

“Male and female He created them.” No “mono-gender” there… and quite explicitly at that!

Where in this verse does it even remotely suggest the possibility of self-reproduction?!?!?!?

In any case, the explicit answer to your question, I’d assert, comes in the next chapter of Genesis:

“Father and mother”. “Two become one body.” QED.

Actually, the referent to “them” is “male and female”, wouldn’t you say?

You’re reading a different book, then. It explicitly details two separate genders. :man_shrugging:

In Gen 1:27 the subject is “mankind” therefore the “them” Gen 1:28 refers to “mankind”.
The reason i changed “man”, " him" and " them" to " mankind" is to make the verse clearer.
"That is why a man leaves his father and mother and clings to his wife, and the two of them become one body."
First point , this is after the fall.After Eve has been taken our of Adam.
Second point, “become one body”, in the “regeneration” we will be merged into one flesh as we were originally intended to be.

In translation, maybe. In the original – or even in the Greek Septuagint – not so much.

Changing the words of Scripture, eh? Never a good approach…

Here’s what it really says, in Greek and in Latin:

First, Greek:
(and) καὶ
((he) made) ἐποίησεν
(God) ὁ θεὸς
(the human) τὸν ἄνθρωπον
(in the image) κα{T’} εἰκόνα
(of God) θεοῦ
((he) made) ἐποίησεν
(him) αὐτόν
(male) ἄρσεν
(and) καὶ
(female) θῆλυ
((he) made) ἐποίησεν
(them) αὐτούς

“And God made [hu]man; in the image of God (he) made him. Male and female (he) made them.”

The Latin is only slightly different:
Et creavit Deus hominem ad imaginem suam: ad imaginem Dei creavit illum, masculum et feminam creavit eos.

“And God created [hu]man in his image: in the image of God (he) created him, male and female (he) created them.”

So, in both cases, “him” is used to describe the noun for “human” (which is in the singular), but “them” is used to describe “male and female”.

In other words, when we see “them”, it refers explicitly to the referent in the previous sentence – “male and female”.

Moreover, the blessing (increase, be multiplied) is a blessing in the plural. If the Garden of Eden were located just south of Georgia, the verse would read “ya’ll increase and ya’ll be multiplied”. It’s not a blessing given in the singular, but in the plural – that is, to the man and the woman.

You’re mistaken. The fall happens in chapter 3. I’m quoting to you from chapter 2.

Again, you’re inaccurate. The writer is talking about now, not in the eschaton. When Jesus quotes this verse explicitly, He identifies that it has been this way since the beginning, not in the future.

Sorry. I don’t mean to be rude, but you’re just plain mistaken here. :man_shrugging:

I will respond to your post in a later. My phone’s screen is shattered and the replacement phone does not work.

((he) made) ἐποίησεν
(him) αὐτόν
(male) ἄρσεν
(and) καὶ
(female) θῆλυ

He (God) made him( Adam) male and female.
Gen 2:23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

I’m sorry, but that’s grammatically incorrect. Here αὐτόν (“him”) is a referent back to the noun that had been used: ἄνθρωπον. The word ἄνθρωπον means ‘human’, not ‘male person’. It is used (in traditional contexts) as “man”, but only in the sense of “mankind”, and not in the sense of “person of the the male sex.”

Therefore, your analysis doesn’t hold up. The line of Scripture isn’t “He [God] created him [Adam] male and female”, it’s “God created mankind in the image and likeness of God. Male and female he created them.”

Let’s go back and look at the Greek:
αὕτη κληθήσεται γυνή ὅτι ἐκ τοῦ ἀνδρὸς αὐτῆς ἐλήμφθη αὕτη

Literally, we have “she shall be called woman, for from her man she was taken.” Her man. Not that Adam had ‘female-ness’ in him. Rather, from her man, she was taken. What was taken (according to the story) was a rib – that is, a piece that is not gender-specific. God creates a woman, where before there was no such person. (Note that this is a different account than found in Genesis 1.)

“Rib” could also be “side”. His reaction indicates that some “flesh” was taken ( flesh of my flesh).

Here is something that I found over the weekend.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit