Something happened today!! I am really upset!!!

I went to a bible study today!!! What they said was mean about catholics!!! The bible study is a proestent reformed the leader said that catholics are not christians and they are going to hell!!! I couldn’t say anything because I didn’t have much to attack what he said and my parents where there!!! Also they said that’s catholic say that they don’t worship idols but they say you do. I believe catholics are christian and a good church to go too!!! I wish that churches stop attacking catholic churches. I was really upset they said this :frowning: !!!

Please help me with this!!!
nathan

P.s I am not planning going back this!!!
pm me anyone

Wish? No, pray and do come back to it–but only after you have adequately studied apologetics. :wink:

Peace, so be it.

[quote=stonewall26]I went to a bible study today!!! What they said was mean about catholics!!! The bible study is a proestent reformed the leader said that catholics are not christians and they are going to hell!!! I couldn’t say anything because I didn’t have much to attack what he said and my parents where there!!! Also they said that’s catholic say that they don’t worship idols but they say you do. I believe catholics are christian and a good church to go too!!! I wish that churches stop attacking catholic churches. I was really upset they said this :frowning: !!!

Please help me with this!!!
nathan

P.s I am not planning going back this!!!
pm me anyone
[/quote]

Pey is right, learn to defend Christ’s Church through Love and Knowledge of the Truth. Peace be to you stonewall!

[quote=stonewall26]I went to a bible study today!!! What they said was mean about catholics!!! The bible study is a proestent reformed
[/quote]

why, with all the wealth of Catholic bible study resources available, is your family attending a non-Catholic program?

Hey,

Aggreed on the Catholic Bible Study, you and your family should seek out a good Catholic one outside or even outside the home. Pray for God’s Grace to defend the Church with Justice and Mercy. God Bless.

The solution may be to attend a Catholic bible study. After you’ve done that for a while, you can go back and present a different point of view, although that may not get you very far! Gotta try, though.

I understand that you were upset. Since you know Catholics are Christians and they do not worship idols.

1. Ask the guy to tell you exactly which idols Catholics worship!

2. Ask him what is up in front of every Catholic Church ( it is Jesus on the cross!) Is that Christian?..YES!

3. But it would do no good to ask these to the leader when he was up in front of “his” group. To confront him in public would make him fight back at you. Ask him alone.:tiphat:

[quote=puzzleannie]why, with all the wealth of Catholic bible study resources available, is your family attending a non-Catholic program?
[/quote]

His family is not Catholic. They go to a reformed protestant church. He wants to convert to the Catholic Church but his family is against it.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=576961#post576961

I would have been tempted to tell the leader that one is known by one’s fruits, and his fruits were lies, ignorance, hatred and pride. All the while smiling, of course.

When you go back confront this person.

Explain that you were offended and that you are a Catholic. Explain that you don’t feel he was acting in kindness as Jesus would command to love our brother as ourselves. Insults and judgements are not what Jesus would have done.

Explain that you came to a bible study to study, not to hear trash about other brothers and sisters. Explain your faith and that you love Jesus.

Do NOT allow this to go on without correcting him.

It doesn’t have to be a battle, but it should be addressed and he should appologize for hurting you.

At the very least I would ask him why, if he was supposed to be leading a study of the Word of God, did he find it necessary to go completely off topic and condemn 1/5 of the world’s population out of hand. Why on earth would he take upon himself the role of Judge when the very Bible he was supposed to be studying tells him quite clearly who the true Judge is?

See I am not a catholic yet!!! I am still a reformed proestant. But hopefully to move out before september for the rcia classes.

thanks for the help

My personal opinion is that you should continue studying, including Bible study, but also including the Church Fathers and Thomas Aquinas. As you read and study more, you might become comfortable with Catholicism and these attacks will not bother you, but only encourage you to read and learn more, and eventually to convert as you find out more about the teachings of the Catholic Church.

There are ignorant people out there everywhere. At the Methodist church I had been attending I was told that my mother was the anti-christ for being Catholic. And then it was found out that I was marrying a Catholic. Most people were very nice, but there are stupid people.
I wouldn’t get into a very big discussion, but you could bring it up in a questioning manner, and don’t let it rock the way you feel. If you don’t want to cause problems with your parents I would drop it for now.
I just read my bible that had a devotional reading in it, and researched religion. It made me so happy and it strengthened how I felt about my personal faith.
Kat

Get yourself a Catechism it has biblical references to what Catholics believe one or two of the “Surprised by the Truth” books. The latter has stories of protestants who converted to Catholicism because they discovered that the Bible supports the Catholic theology more than any protestant faith.

Some are former protestant ministers so they studied the Bible extensively and discovered that the faith they were following was wrong.

The more read up on our faith you become the more comfortable you will feel about it being and having the fullness of faith as the Popes have said it to be.

And last read up on the lives of the saints, particularly St Anthony of Padua, St Bernadette and Padre Pio. Their testimony to our faith through great miracles is a great inspiration to proving Catholics are on the right track. Christ’s Peace, wc

You will find that many miracles abound in the Catholic Church, while they are few and far between in other denominations. Why is that ?

Simply because Jesus and Mary supports the Church that remains most faithful to His teachings. Miracles about the Holy Eucharist, apparitions of Mary and Jesus and other saints to the faithful all happen to catholic lay folks and to Catholic clergy, rarely if ever to non Catholics.

God’s trying to tell you something about which Church is His. wc

[quote=stonewall26]See I am not a catholic yet!!! I am still a reformed proestant. But hopefully to move out before september for the rcia classes. thanks for the help
[/quote]

At the moment you may be feeling vulnerable. There is no point in getting into a discussion when you are not prepared by study. What you can do in the meantime, if your parents take you to bible study, is to take rosary beads or a saint card or medal with you. Take what is truth from the bible study and reject what is false. Everytime you or the Catholic Church are attacked, then touch your rosary beads, card, or medal and silently pray for protection.

When you have a few moments alone, then do study the Catholic Answers apologetics and memorize the responses so that you know them. When you are attacked you may or may not choose to enter into a discussion with your attacker, but you will remember the reasons why your attacker is in error. While you are a babe in the faith, it is important that you be fed, protected, loved, and nurtured. Be firm in your own mind. Try to avoid the battles. Go bless, Ani.

A good reference for you to understand the anti-Catholic attacks is Karl Keating’s book, Catholicism and Fundamentalism. It is subtittled The Attack on “Romanism” by “Bible Christians” There is a lot of information on the hows and whys of anti-Catholic propaganda. Our Blessed Lord told us that we would be persecuted. He sure was! You are in my prayers. Callie

I always here from anti-Catholics these things, like “You Catholics are going to hell”. I often ask them where in the Bible it says so. But more seriously, I think you should attend Catholic Bible studies. I would think you are near a Catholic parish. Try to contact them and see if they offer one. If not, ask the parish priest if he can be your spiritual advisor. At this point, I think it would make more sense studying with Catholics than with non-Catholics.

Here is a good scripture based site…

scripturecatholic.com

If it were true we worship idols…why would we deny it?
The reason we do deny it is because we understand we are seeking intercessory prayer just like every other christian seeks intercessory prayer.
It we are guilty of idol worship- then they are guilty of pastor worship - or “gifted healer” worship.
Don’t protestants often flock to special christians who they believe have received gifts of healing, wisdom, or knowledge?
When they seek out the prayers of these folks are they worshipping them?
Hmmm…? :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.