Something missing from the the description of Jesus first miracle

While reading Jesus first miracle (John 2:7,8&9 ) I always felt that there is something missing because after saying that the pots are filled with water, what is said next is that it is given to the chief steward and he tasted the wine converted from water,the stress being on the tasting.A simple statement prior to this that the water was converted to wine is not there.
Anybody else felt so?

Regardless, we know from the reading that at some point, the water became wine. What I see as important is the great privilege the servants received in being active participants and witnesses to the miracle.

John 2:

5 His mother said to the servants, “Do whatever he tells you.”

8 Then he told them, “Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet.”
They did so,

9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew.

I can only imagine what they thought about that! How, exciting! :hugs:

That is an interesting element of the story. At first it seems like something is missing, but if we examine the situation, we may see that Jesus did it so for a reason, and it could have been done no other way. There are many aspects to this:

First of all, it was a wedding celebration. It’s all about the bride and groom. Mary and Jesus were guests. Jesus did not want to draw attention to himself and away from the hosts and their cause for celebration.

Related to this is the embarrassment the hosts must have felt to have run out of wine on such an important occasion. To simply discover that they had more wine allowed the hosts to save face.

Jesus did not want to make a spectacle of it, like a magic trick. He is not a party entertainer, looking for applause, trying to impress.

Later in his ministry, at the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus taught that when you do a good deed, do not seek attention. Do not even let your left hand know what your right is doing. (Matthew 6:1-4) What a great example he gave us here!

Jesus’ understated way of performing this miracle (and others) also says something about God’s providence and our faith. God provides what we need, often in subtle ways. Sometimes miracles just happen, no announcement, no fanfare. They aren’t provable. On witnessing it, the disbeliever is not compelled to believe, while the believer grows in faith.

What a rich story this is!

Good.Thanks…

None of the Gospel writers explain or say how, or when, the Loaves and Fishes multiply in the hands of the disciples (or did they multiply as Jesus broke them?); they simply say Jesus broke and gave them to the disciples and the disciples gave them to the crowds.

Right.It is also a similar situation.I omitted it so as to give stress to one incident.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.