Something Missing

It’s not as bad as the title sounds, but I feel it’s an important problem. I feel like there is something missing in my everyday life, my interactions with others and the world. Something that should come from God. Now I am a true believer of God, I have been Catholic all my life, and there is no way I will ever change that. I just want to enrich my religious life and I think that the rest of my life will become better after that. But I feel like that in order to do that, I need something from God, something that I’m not quite getting.

By the way, I’m 16 years old, and I live in California in the US. Anyways, in my normal life, in doing homework, getting completely “into” mass (sorry, can’t think of a better word, almost like involved or all hyped up/excited about), getting up in the morning, and especially resisting certain types of sins, I have troubles with each, like I can’t start or like I don’t have the will to. In the past, there have been times in which I would be inspired to start doing or stop doing the things listed above. However, it was only temporary and lasted for just a few weeks or so. I was inspired by specific events or by worldly things. those inspirations came from someone I met (I had known the person just for a day), listening to really good music that helped me overcome my dislike of the homework, and looking ahead to play on the PS2 and getting homework done quicker.

HOWEVER, what I just found out where I really want my inspiration to come from is God. I know God will be able to provide me with the everyday inspiration, but I don’t know how to get it. Everything else is there, except that extra inspiration. I feel that I can not do it alone, just knowing that God is by me isn’t enough. I feel that even though God gave me all the talents I have which let me do all that I can with advanced classes (I am an honor student, and have a lot of work), I feel that I need a little more inspiration/push from God to help me with the hard assignments from classes which I almost absolutely despise or assignments that are just tedious that I don’t feel like doing. I feel that this little inspiration can assist my will and want to do it, because I do try but I feel like I’m doing it alone.

That little extra help from God will then let me do everything else that I’ve been holding back because those other tasks have just been too much of a burden and having someone next to me doing those things will be it. I would be soooo much thankful of the Lord, not that I already am thankful, but it would then lead me to pray to him so much more and actually every night, lead me to be able to become a better person in turn all the way around. Please people, if you have any ideas at all, maybe a prayer or something that I have no clue about, then let me know, especially if you have had this experience before and you know what I’m talking about, you know how to get to where I wanna go. Please, I only want the truth, it won’t hurt me if no one actually had this experience, but if you say you did, then I will believe you. Also, I would prefer if you gave me something other than my ideas to a possible solution, but if you know a prayer, then by all means, post it. Another thing, I don’t want just like encouraging words or something that I can’t hold onto that won’t provide this spark. Encouraging words I will accept, but not something like “My solution is that you just have to keep going”. I will accept encouraging words and stuff, just don’t make that your solution, acknowledgment I will accept, but yeah anyways, tell me what you guys got. Thank you though so much for any replies.

What an enthusiastic young person you are, Dani!
It certainly sounds as if you are doing very well in your life.

You know what I thought of when you asked how you can become enthusiastic and focused on doing the projects and assignments you don’t really enjoy…Dani, I thought of baby diapers, or in my country, nappies. The reason I did is this…there are always those things in our lives that we find it hard to face and even stall, delaying doing them because they are unpleasant or boring.

One day, possibly, you’ll be the mother of a beautiful baby whom you will love more than you can imagine. You will enjoy lots of things about this baby and will be happy to do them…but there’s the diapers. You’re not going to look forwards to changing the diaper, but you have to because otherwise the poor wee child will get a diaper burn and rash, and you’ll do it though you may even hate doing it, because of the end result, a happy, clean baby.

There are challenges like this in every aspect of life amid those exciting and enjoyable things we love to do. I guess your mother does some or all of the cooking? To cook every day or almost every day, make lunches perhaps for husband and children, and sometimes you feel like doing anything but those things, but you do these things for the welfare of others, for a particular end, just as you need to do the less desirable assignments for the same end as the ones your excited about.

We cannot expect God to give us a great spark to do the things we don’t like doing, the ‘spark’ if you can call it that, that He does give us is the commission to love and serve others, to do the right and just thing, whether we feel like it or not. This is why Jesus told us to take up our cross and follow Him…the ordinary challenges of our daily lives, our study etc, these can be our joy and they can be our cross.

What we can change, with His grace, and with commonsense handling of ourselves, as human persons, is the way we think of and speak about and face those things we least like, to make the best of facing them in our lives. Programing our minds, like the computer they are in some aspects of function, to see the best, think the best we can in facing boring and unpleasant tasks. This is part of growing into maturity.

Have I answered your question , I wonder.

God bless you for being such a wonderful young woman.
Please take care of yourself, and I pray that you will always stay close to Jesus and the Sacraments

I think that most people aren’t thoroughly cathechized these days so they don’t realize the importance of the first two commandments.

**1. To love the Lord your God with all of your heart, mind, soul, and strength. **
2. To love your neighbor as yourself.

Number 1 is an intense, day-to-day, life long struggle with immense benefit for long-term persistence in the face of dryness, despair, suffering, persecution, etc. :slight_smile:

Have you ever thought about having the desire in your heart for Sainthood and achieving full union with his perfect will?

Maybe you might try dramatically increasing your prayer life and working through spiritual reading in order to gain direction and share in the communion of saints. Even if you do not have people in passionate love for the Lord nearby in your day-to-day life, these saints are in Heaven as your friends, to help lead you to Christ.

I would suggest:

Step 1: Discovering what it means to believe in Christ

Pray the Rosary daily (as much of it as you can - whether one 5-decade Rosary, or all four mysteries of the 5-decade Rosaries, or more) Rosary Confraternity Enrollment rosary-center.org/nconform.htm (As Pope Leo XIII said in his encyclical on the Confraternity, *“Whenever a person fulfills his obligation of reciting the Rosary according to the rule of the Confraternity, he includes in his intentions all its members and they render him the same service many times over.” * Each member includes deceased fellow members as well; and thus he knows that in turn he will be included in the prayers of hundreds of thousands both now and hereafter.

Pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet daily: Divine Mercy Chaplet ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm

Pray the Litany of Humility daily:
Litany of Humility ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/humility.htm
Adore Christ daily Online Adoration of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament louisville-catholic.net/WebCameras/AdorationChapel/tabid/825/Default.aspx

Go to Communion as often as possible and Confession at least once a month

First read,
Case for Christ by Lee Strobel. Former Atheist, Chicago Tribune legal editor, Yale Law graduate who set about doing in-depth historical research on the evidence for Christ to prove Christianity wrong and instead ended up converting. Now a Protestant minister. The most thoroughly well researched and accessible account of the historical evidence for Christ that I have ever seen or read. :thumbsup: amazon.com/Case-Christ-Journalists-Personal-Investigation/dp/0310209307

**Autobiography of St. Therese of Liseux ** gutenberg.org/etext/16772 as an older, wiser, sweeter, holier sister. She happens to be the youngest Doctor of the Church, at 24, and one of the three fremale Doctors of the Church. She was a Carmelite nun.

The Teaching of St. Therese of Liseux on Purgatory: franciscan-sfo.org/ap/litfwrpu.htm

Confessions of St. Augustine newadvent.org/fathers/1101.htm may also be inspirational for an intellgent person like you sound as if you are, as he was caught between desires of the flesh, pursuit of intellectual glory and elite glory, and Christ for much of his life, before becoming a Doctor of the Church, chairing the Synod of Hippo - that helped determine the Canon of Scripture.

Diary of St. Maria Faustina Divine Mercy in My Soul saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS1.shtml Emphasizes that the greatest attributes of Christ are LOVE and MERCY. Shows the depths of intimacy in a soul’s communication with Christ and level to which one should fear sin. Gives insight on the Christian path. Associated with healing miracles in this day and age, such as this partial healing of a woman in Boston, Massachusetts thedivinemercy.org/news/story.php?NID=3204

**Step 2: Learn about achievement of union with Christ’s perfect will, fundamentals of meriting sainthood **

**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationmontfort.html
St. Teresa of Avila: The Way of Perfection: catholicfirst.com/TheFaith/CatholicClassics/StTeresa/way/wayofperfection.cfm
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.

**Step 3: Growing in Perfection **

Cathechism of the Catholic Church vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm
Archbishop Oscar Romero: The Violence of Love plough.com/ebooks/violenceoflove.html
Mystical City of God themostholyrosary.com/mystical-city.htm
In Defense of The City of God Mystica Civitate Dei: dailycatholic.org/issue/05Jun/jun10tim.htm - to summarize the research of three priests on the official decision of the Holy Roman Catholic Church regarding The Mystical City of God by Venerable Mary of Jesus of Agreda and to ascertain thereby whether it is permitted for anyone of any authority whatsoever to forbid the reading of this extraordinary book.
**The Glories of Mary, ** by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains Hail Holy Queen http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/glories.htm
On the Dolors of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains the sufferings of Our Lady http://writer.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors
Marialis Cultus (Apostolic Exhortation for the Right Ordering and Development of Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary of His Holiness, February 2, 1974 by His Holiness Pope Paul VI ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P6MARIAL.HTM
**Litany of the Blessed Virgin ** intermirifica.org/Mary/marylitany.htm
**Cathechis of the Popes on Mary, Mother of God, ** catechesisofthepopes.wikispaces.com/Mary
The World’s Happiest Marriage
cin.org/saints/worlhapp.html

oh, I guess I must have left a few things out. first, I’m a guy, so its actually a little funny to hear your response trishie, but its ok, I take no offense. Second, I’m an extremely busy person, I go to school from 8 am until 3 pm, then I have wrestling from 4 til 6.30, and when I get home, I have to eat and take a shower and do all my homework, and I’m an IB student, so I have tons of homework. Not to mention that I’m tired from wrestling after practice and that it’s hard to do work. I am really committed to wrestling and there’s no way I can ever quit it. So from 8 and on, i have to do homework, while being tired. then, every other morning, Mon, wed, and fri, I have a 0 period class, Theory of Knowledge, which makes it harder to get up in the morning since class begins at 7. Then, often times we will have meets (team matches) during the week which will last an hour longer, and I have to watch my weight so I don’t go over, but that’s only a minor problem. Also, on Saturdays, I normally have a tournament which i wake up for at 4 in the morning and get home at about 6 pm. Sunday I have pretty much free except for Mass and Youth group. Then on Tuesdays, I have Respect, which is a group of high school kids that get together to make skits for high schools to help promote abstinence from sex until marriage. Now keep in mind that I am still a kid who would definitely like to find time for entertainment like watching movies or playing video games and so on. The good thing is that I am not taking all IB classes, some of the classes I am taking are regular ones, those are the subjects I’m not so good at. so I am really busy, and although I would like to pray the rosary and divine mercy chaplet every night, I don’t think I have the time. I really appreciate the replies though, I’m still accepting more

Dani -
Wow! You’re a really busy girl! I’m in grad school and I have lots more free time. I envy your energy :smiley: .

One of the other posters mentioned the Divine Mercy Chaplet and St. Faustina’s diary. These might help you a lot! St. Faustina talks a lot about quietly suffering for Jesus, and some about doing tasks she doesn’t want to for His sake. All this stuff, she emphasizes (and so does Jesus) is a function of the will, not feelings. Feelings change - they are meant to. God appreciates our efforts more when we do then for His sake even though we didn’t want to do them.

Here’s what I do: every night, I read a little from the Diary (I do this with the Bible sometimes, too). I keep it by my bed. I don’t read huge chunks, just enough to help me focus on God. Then I pray - most often a Divine Mercy Chaplet, right now a Rosary (praying for the 1st hundred days of the presidency for the sanctity of life). Jesus has given me untold graces. I can’t recommend enough that you meditate on His Mercy in order to better be able to fill the duties He wants you to. I promise, because He does, that it will help.

Hi young man, You can pray for intellectual help and energy if you want to. And you may get more. St Thomas Aquinas who is the greatest theologian the church ever saw prayed for divine knowledge when he entered the priesthood and certainly received the most profound knowledge. It seems you want to be happy and have more energy and do more for God. Have you thought about turning your school work, sport, study and everything you do into prayer? You can do this. When you do this you will come much. much closer to our Lord. The closer you get the happier you’ll be and you will receive more energy so you can do more for our Lord. If you want pointers on how to do this try reading from this great modern day saints writings here escrivaworks.org/ and persevere and you’ll get what you want. God bless:thumbsup: :slight_smile:

Hi,
With one’s plate so full, it’s hard to believe something is missing… except a dash more of the ‘spiritual’ things. One needs to do a balancing act throughout life; a little of the physical; a little of the mental; a little of the spiritual (Religious); then the Peace and contentment are there, as one ‘whistles while they work’. Enjoyment is what one does willingly; work is what one does while whistling. And as Trishie said, sometimes it’s the ends we have to focus on rather then the task necessary to get to it.

I will leave you with this to consider:

Deserata’

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, & remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly & clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud & aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain & bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many people strive for high ideals; and everywhere the world is full of heroism.
Be yourself, Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of Spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, the universe is unfolding as it should.
Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors & aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be Happy.

Found in Old St. Paul’s Church,
in Baltimore, Maryland circa. 1692
Writer Unknown

Dani–

I know what “spark” you are talking about. I have been looking for it too. Here I sit with mountains of knowledge about the Catholic faith, but what have I done with it? :doh2: It’s like burying 10 talents in the ground. I know what to do, but why don’t I do it? :confused: Day after day passes, and I am wasting my life away.

If you find that spark, let me know what it is. Perhaps practicing mortification can strengthen a person’s willpower.

And by the way, don’t forget that you can turn all your everyday tasks into a prayer and offering to God. Do all things well for Him.

I really like your answer, and I’ve actually heard of something like this before from my uncle and godfather, he says like when I eat I should say something like “Father, feed my soul as I feed my body” and with every situation in life. even showers and sleeping :wink: like cleanse my soul as you cleanse my body, and so on. also, i will look into that website, thanks for bringing it up.

and stelline, if i find it, i will surely let you know, but I just had one of the greatest moments of my life, if not the greatest. it had to do with wrestling, and our team coming back and winning, i felt like as if i were living remember the titans. it was crazy, and i felt as if i was in total unity/harmony with my team. anyways, i think it is sign from God, possibly meaning more that something will happen in the future, I will update you guys soon. but in the meantime, i will spend more of my time in everyday life with brief prayers to God, as I’m walking somewhere, and so on. also, i’ll do the offering up tasks up to God.

i found something for you. unforutanitely, i didn’t get to read it all: The Christian Vocation

Hi, If you have a gift from God - knowledge then use this for the glory of God and to build up his kingdom on earth. Help others on the forums for one thing. We do get that spark at times, but only to get us started on the way. If you want a spark to get you started then start getting closer to our Lord. You can get further sparks to help you along the way too.Ask him to set your heart aflame with love for him and to give you the desire and energy to do more for him. Have you thought about making websites? Use your talents for the glory of God. All the saints had to work very hard in the spiritual life to make it and when they did they received superhuman energy to do Gods work. Strive for sanctity and you’ll get energy. Once our Lord sees you struggling he’ll give you more and more energy as you progress. So take no notice of how hard it is at the beginning. St Paul said, when
I am weak then I am strong. Because it is no longer I that live but Christ lives in me." Strive to be another Christ and you will experience the same thing as St Paul. We all need to be brave and put our hand to the plough in whatever way we can and trust in the Lord to help us and make our work fruitful. I need to put my foot in the water too. I’m far from perfect.God bless:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.