Something my priest said about confessing past sins

My priest said that I don’t need to confess past sins, even if I remember them. Is he right. Please could someone send something to prove him right or wrong? Like an official church document or something. Thanks

http://www.baltimore-catechism.com/lesson19.htm

This should answer all your questions.

Q. 793. Is our Confession worthy if, without our fault, we forget to confess a mortal sin?

A. If without our fault we forget to confess a mortal sin, our Confession is worthy, and the sin is forgiven; but it must be told in Confession if it again comes to our mind. (emphasis mine)

In confession, all mortal sins confessed are forgiven plus all venial sins, whether confessed or not, are forgiven. They are forgiven when the priest prays the absolution. Even if you don’t do your penance they are forgiven, but that would be a sin in itself if done deliberately.
I am sure you can find it in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Google it.

Thank you, a bit off topic but in the link it talked about confessing the son in kind. Do we absolutely have to confess the division or class of the sin. For example would you have to say the son and then say “and this is a sin against purity” or can you just say the sin?

As long as you specify the sin and it’s number, you’re fine.

Say the sin is adultery, for example.

You could say ‘I sinned against chastity through the sin of adultery x times.’

You could also say ‘I committed the sin of adultery x times.’

You could not say ‘I sinned against chastity x times.’

Oh thank you this helps

No problem. The Baltimore Catechism is a wonderful resource.

Its possible your priest has identified you as a scrupulant and is trying to get you to quit tormenting yourself trying to remember past sins.

Technically, he’s wrong, but given your posts here he might be trying to manage your scrupulousity.

You could not say ‘I sinned against chastity x times

That is too vague for me as it could be a venial sin. The

Is not the best source. Try the Catechism of the CC.

Indeed you could not

Where did I say it was the best resource? All I’m saying is its simple layout and comprehensive insight on all sorts of moral issues surpasses at times the detail given in the Catechism. The CCC is a wonderful resource, and should be studied and read by all Catholics, with a great level of authority, but it holds exactly the same teachings as the Baltimore Catechism. I personally prefer the latter though, and do not apologise for quoting an authoritative Catholic resource.

Hence, what is your problem?

Sorry I missed the word not. I will not debate the BC vs. CCC.

Did you know the BC was written in less than a month by one priest. Did you know that it contains only 2 or 3 pages on the Resurrection of our Lord?

Michael, you have scruples. Listen to your priest. Stay off CAF asking these sorts of questions.

Well, with God, everything is possible! Countless artists, composers, and yes, writers, created great works at great speed. It speaks more to skill and dedication than carelessness. You’re right though: I also have no intention of getting into this.

THIS

The catholic church teaches in the Catechism:

Every mortal sin must be confessed by name.

And also: if you go to confession you are still forgiven sins you forgot to confess by accident,

but if you remember any unconfessed mortal sins, must say them at the next confession.

You have probably already been absolved so don’t need to reconfess them.

It’s important to put this into a little context.
Your Priest is right if you are continuing to confess them.

Are you suffering scruples

We are blessed to receive absolution of all our sins through confession.
Thanks be to God!

The CCC has 2865 paragraphs, and, as far as I can see, only has 20 on Christ’s resurrection… less than 1%

Max,

One think that happened after Vatican II is that the emphasis shifted a bit to recognize the resurrection of our Lord more.

Absolutely.

However, a lack of emphasis on the Resurrection is not unique to the BC

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.