Something that puzzles me...

There is something that has puzzled me for many years. I hear Protestants (like Ravi Zacharias, the Reformed and others) quote GK Chesterton, CS Lewis, Saint Augustine, and even St Therese of Avila. Well, all except CS Lewis, were Catholic. So I can’t reconcile that these people who quote Catholics are Protestant. It seems they like to pick and choose what they believe. It is ok for Augustine, GK Chesterton, and St Therese to be Catholic all the way, but not for them. Do they think they are wiser and more intelligent - more spiritual maybe?

Simply, part of the common Christian heritage - as Jesus is.

As C.S. Lewis said in his autobiography, “someone who wishes to remain a sound atheist cannot be too careful in his reading.” Consistently followed, all of these authors will lead to the Church. Lewis, Chesterton, et. al. would be prominent among my reasons for being in R.C.I.A… Other people, for whatever reason, never make that connection.

Protestants have to go SOMEWHERE for authority.

Guess where they end up?

…but most just make it up (sources of authority) as they go along, and avoid the problem all together.

With Jesus, of course.

Of course.

And from where do they get the “speech” of Jesus?

And from where do they get idea of receiving the Holy Spirit?

…eventually,… and always,… they refer to some Catholic source.

And that pisses them off, no end…!!

But hey,… that’s life in this universe. Knowledge of anything Christ related can ONLY come through the Church (Catholic).

Admit it or not,… it really doesn’t matter.

Truth is one.

Mahalo ke Akua…!
E pili mau na pomaikai iaoe. Aloha nui loa, dude(tte)…!

I’m an Anglican. Specifically, Anglo-Catholic, as was Chesterton, for a few years after his conversion to Christianity (i.e., when he wrote ORTHODOXY). I’ve collected, read and studied Chesterton (and Lewis and Belloc, for that matter) for over 40 years. I remain where Chesterton started, and where Lewis (more or less) wound up; a Catholic in the Anglican tradition.

Encourage protestants to read these guys. And Knox and Lunn too. Likewise Sayers and Williams. Couldn’t hurt.

GKC

Anglicanus Catholicus

I have to agree with that. To quote someone simply highlights the truth which they have pointed out in an exemplary manner. Protestants can share Catholic writers, and Catholics can share Protestant writers.

Maybe people recognize Truth. I cant remember who at the moment but Paul quotes a non believer who speaks truth.

What you all saying is protestants do not exclude truth whereever they hear it, even a catholic source.

But it seems catholics are less charitable about the same issue.

Not true.

In my experience and impression, Catholics always take Protestants as our brothers and sisters, whereas Protestants, 9 out of 10 are against Catholics. I say 9 out of 10, because there are exceptions.

I have been attending a group of Protestant weekly Bible Study almost 5 years. It is a small group, about 10 people. My husband and I are the only Catholics. Those Protestant brothrs and sisters are very nice to us. We always have good discussions together.

Last night one member called and chatted over the phone.
She actually said she especially likes when I (Catholic) lead the Bible study. She also said when she was living in East coast, her Protestant Church taught them that Catholics are idol worshipers. And she said the impression she got from us are totally different.

Oh, was I glad to hear that? My initial purpose of joining that group was to serve as a bridge of communication between the two faith. How grateful I am to hear that my presence may have changed some of the Protestant’s impression on Catholics.

What I am saying here is that the fact this Catholic is doing Bible study with Protestant brothers and sisters proves that we Catholics don’t exclude any truth on the Protestants’ part.

By the way, I do weekly Catholic Bible study also. :slight_smile:

Lewis was a Protestant. "Lewis was not a Catholic. He was and remained an Anglican (Church of England) for his post-conversion life, describing himself as "neither particularly ‘high,’ nor particularly ‘low’."
rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/exposes/lewis/cs-lewis.htm

Maybe that is the case where you live, but where I live, probably 9 out of 10 Protestants are charitable toward Catholics. I really have not encountered many hostile Protestants except on the web or certain radio/TV preachers’ shows. I have Methodist, Lutheran and Pentecostal family members and friends, all of whom are charitable.

I think you are referring to this verse from Acts.

Act 17:28

(DRB) For in him we live and move and are: as some also of your own poets said: For we are also his offspring.

(ESV) for "‘In him we live and move and have our being’; as even some of your own poets have said, "‘For we are indeed his offspring.’

(KJV) For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

(MKJV) For in Him we live and move and have our being, as also certain of your own poets have said, For we are also His offspring.

(MSG) We live and move in him, can’t get away from him! One of your poets said it well: ‘We’re the God-created.’

(NASB) for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, ‘For we also are His children.’

Originally Posted by Kitty Chan
Maybe people recognize Truth. I cant remember who at the moment but Paul quotes a non believer who speaks truth.

yes thats it thank you lak!

Just to be clear I was commenting on the previous posts sorta seemed off.

but more importantly, your bible study sounds great, we all need to do things like that more. I personally attend the different churches of my friends and find God in all of them. I dont think we are so far as we all think we are.

If you dont mind a slight derail and this is not meant to prove any points just something I found interesting and I think you may appreciate my observation. There has been several times I may be a home on a sunday and switching between the “religious” channels. I have noticed more than once that most of the shows (not all, but better than odds) are on the same topic. Its just a casual observation but fastinating.

I dont think it would be beyond God. We probably dont realise just how much Hes doing to herd us all together :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.