All these devotions to keep track of
All this need for quiet personal time
All this need to keep up with daily Scripture readings
All these attempts to keep from sin
All these confessions
All these spirituality books to read
All these websites to keep track of

Where’s the simplicity? :confused:

Hi, I know how you feel. I was told to do all these things with a spirit of freedom. Because I wanted to. Out of love of God. Not to be a slave to the spiritual exercises, but a slave to God. In the end God just wants our love. One thing told me when I complained about all the work I had to do in the spiritual life was- are you happy now? I had to admit that though it was hard yes I am happy for the first time in my life. Do things out of love for God, with a spirit of freedom and because you want to show your love for God. If you don’t get them all done for good reason then ask our Lord to consider them done and he will. Just what I learnt. Hope it helps. God bless.:slight_smile:

:signofcross: Remeber one Our Father said with all your love for God means more than a 1000 said cause you have to or out of resentment. There are times due to Jesus kiss from the cross that all I can say in deep groanings is Jesus, those are truely my most honest prayers. This worried me till a wonderful Father told me this is my calling in those moments.
Question: Have you ever just said the Our Father very slowly thinking and looking at what it is you are asking in this awesome prayer? Try that, but warn you it can change your life and give the grace of the fear of God and may take you awhile. Christ Peace

Sorry to piggy back your reply. But St Teresa of Avila gives the most beautiful and profound explaination of the our father prayer. Check it out if you have time. God bless all. :slight_smile:

St. Teresa of Avila said “pray as you can, not as you can’t”. Remember, it’s about the quality of your prayer not the quantity. St. Louis de Montfort said that one Hail Mary prayed with love was worth more than the entire Rosary prayed simply out of obligation. God bless! :slight_smile:

You don’t have to do all of this! :eek:
If I had a list, it would include:
All these prayers which are needed - alas, I always feel as if I could pray more :wink:
All these spirituality books to read
All these confessions
All these attempts to keep from sin

Is the rest really necessary? The end purpose of our faith is to go into perfect union with Christ, so I feel free to eliminate from my life anything that I do not believe is helping me grow into perfect union in Christ. :slight_smile:

By the way, St. Teresa of Avila’s comprhension of the Our Father in The Way of Perfection really IS profound! In fact, after I read it, I stopped praying the Our Father for a period of time because I wasn’t sure that I was ready to be making that level of commitment to Christ! :bigyikes: :hmmm: St. Louis Marie Grignon de Montfort also explains the Our Father and Hail Mary very very well in The Secret of the Rosary. I think the Glory be prayer actually comes from him - *To all who might know the answer - is this true? does anybody know for sure? *

**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html

**The Way of Perfection: ** catholicfirst.com/TheFaith/CatholicClassics/StTeresa/way/wayofperfection.cfm

But all of this *is *centered around growing closer to Christ!

I totally feel the same way. I feel quite inadequate when I think about how much more I should be doing, just on a spiritual level.

Remember the story of the good Samaritan followed by Martha and Mary in the Bible.

There was a scholar of the law who stood up to test him and said, "Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
Jesus said to him, "What is written in the law? How do you read it?"
He said in reply, "You shall love the Lord, your God, will all your heart, will all your being, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself."
He replied to him, "You have answered correctly; do this and you will live."
But because he wished to justify himself, he said to Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"
Jesus replied, "A man fell victim to robbers as he went down from Jerusalem to Jericho. They stripped and beat him and went off leaving him half-dead.
A priest happened to be going down that road, but when he saw him, he passed by on the opposite side.
Likewise a Levite came to the place, and when he saw him, he passed by on the opposite side.
But a Samaritan traveler who came upon him was moved with compassion at the sight.
He approached the victim, poured oil and wine over his wounds and bandaged them. Then he lifted him up on his own animal, took him to an inn and cared for him.
The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the inkeeper with the instruction, 'Take care of him. If you spend more than what I have given you, I shall repay you on my way back.‘
Which of these three, in your opinion, was neighbor to the robbers’ victim?
He answered, “The one who treated him with mercy.” Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”

As they continued their journey he entered a village where a woman whose name was Martha welcomed him.
She had a sister named Mary (who) sat beside the Lord at his feet listening to him speak.
Martha, burned with much serving, came to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me by myself to do the serving? Tell her to help me."
The Lord said to her in reply, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and worried about many things.
There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her.”
10:25-42

These fulfill the two greatest commandments, of which the other two are summarized in.

Number 1 Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.
Number 2 Love your neighbor as yourself.

Maybe, perhaps, why would Mary sitting beside and listening to him speak be the “better part.”

1595 O my Jesus, this is Your work. It is You who have spoken thus to the soul, because this sister came in when I was completely immersed in God, and it was just at that moment when this deep recollection left me. O my Jesus, I know that, in order to be useful to souls, one has to strive for the closest possible union with You, who are Eternal Love. One word from a soul united to God effects more good in souls than eloquent discussions and sermons from an imperfect soul.

From beckmarie in Wisdom of St. Faustina

1601 Chosen souls are, in My hand, lights which I cast into the darkness of the world and with which I illumine it. As stars illumine the night, so chosen souls illumine the earth. And the more perfect a soul is, the stronger and the more far reaching is the light shed by it. It can be hidden and unknown, even to those closest to it, and yet its holiness is reflected in souls even to the most distant extremeities of the world.

This is a very inspiring paragraph, and a theme I’ve seen popping up over and over recently in Scripture and in the words of others:

**Catholic singer and evangelist, Mark Mallett - **
“As the darkness gets darker, the stars shine brighter.”

Matthew 5:14-16
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house. Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father."

Daniel 12:3
*“Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever.” *

**Archbishop Wilton D. Gregory - **
“The stars in the night sky declare the glory of the Lord, so too God’s people radiate with the glory of God in a dark world. God has strategically placed each star in the heavens and God has strategically placed you on the earth to bring light to your environment.” (Quoted from his Annual Appeal 2009 Letter)

You know how Jesus died once only for millions, billions, trillions of people,
you know how one single person, Jesus, goes into the body and soul of millions around the world in Communion, even daily,
how about asking Jesus, through His loving heart, to make your simple prayer into prayer for everyone!

**All these are in fact ways to Christ. **

The Immaculate Heart of Mary is a way to Christ.

As His Holiness Pope John Paul II wrote, Mary’s total relativity to Christ and through Him, to the Blessed Trinity, is first experienced in observation: “You never think of Mary without Mary interceding for you with God. You never praise or honour Mary without Mary’s praising and honouring God with you. Mary is altogether relative to God; and indeed, I might well call Her the relation to God. She only exists with reference to God. She is the echo of God that says nothing, repeats nothing, but God. If you say ‘Mary,’ She says ‘God.’ St. Elizabeth praised Mary and called Her blessed because She had believed. Mary the faithful echo of God, at once intoned: ‘Magnificat anima mea Dominium’; ‘My soul magnifies the Lord’ (Lk 1:46). What Mary did then, She does daily now. When we praise Her, love Her, honour Her or give anything to Her, it is God who is praised, God who is loved, God who is glorified, and it is to God that we give, through Mary and in Mary”(cf. Treatise on True Devotion, n. 225)

“All our perfection,” St. Louis Marie Grignion de Montfort writes, “consists in being conformed, united and consecrated to Jesus Christ; and therefore, the most perfect of all devotions is, without any doubt, that which most perfectly conforms, unites and consecrates us to Jesus Christ. Now Mary being the most conformed of all creatures to Jesus Christ, it follows that, of all devotions, that which most consecrates and conforms the soul to Our Lord is devotion to His holy Mother, and that the more a soul is consecrated to Mary, the more it is consecrated to Jesus.” (Treatise on True Devotion, n. 120)

St. Matthew is a way to Christ. When I read the Gospel of St. Matthew, I learn more about Christ, not Matthew.

St. John is a way to Christ. When I read the Gospel of St. John, I learn more about Christ, not John.

However, the extent to which I learn about Christ is dependent on that soul’s unity with Christ according to the above excerpts from St. Maria Faustina’s Diary. St. John was “the beloved disciple”, who stayed with Christ even at the Crucifixion. Maybe that is why we learn about the Eucharist from St. John’s Gospel so clearly, when it is not revealed as well in the other Gospels, or we learn about how at the Crucifixion, Christ entrusts his Mother to St. John and St. John to his Mother. :clapping: :dancing: :extrahappy: :tiphat:

I wrote the following in this spirit long ago, so either you can adapt it to suit your needs, or you may prefer to work out your own, suited to your personality and spirituality…but it’s a possibility anyway…

On behalf of others
Heavenly Father, encouraged by the Eucharist in which Jesus gives Himself wholly to multitudes of communicants throughout time, I pray concurrently for everyone, for my family, physical and spiritual, as if each were the only one.

I pray on behalf of Your faithful ones; of those who are sadly denied Communion; of the unbelieving, of the discouraged and of all who are ever denied ministry of their faith, all those who are suffering in any way, so that You may unite their deprivation, misery, even torment of body, to Jesus in His Eucharist. I offer their struggles and achievements, so that, even if unaware, they share in the spiritual life of the Church.

I know that in Your great love You will accept my prayer on their behalf, in union with Jesus in whom everything attains infinite value, however unworthy the supplicant. supplicant. Let it give them comfort and peace, and full Communion in You. Let it obtain pardon for their sins and let it obtain their faith, hope and charity despite materialism or injustice that confronts and embroils them.

Father, through crucified and risen Jesus, I trust You to share to repletion the lowly bread of my prayer that is leavened to infinite abundance by communion in You. Give my prayer again and again through Him who endlessly gives Himself wholly to each person in the Eucharist.

Please enflame me (and all Christians) with gospel authenticity that will also ignite others with faith and apostolate. Thank You God who acts in us beyond human understanding.

My original began simply

My Father, encouraged by the Eucharist in which Jesus gives Himself wholly to multitudes of communicants throughout time, I pray concurrently for each person You whom place in my charge, for each member of my family, earthly or spiritual, as if each were the only one.

I commit them totally to You, while interceding that Your love and will becomes the source of all their healing, their prayer and their actions.
For all those who are suffering, for all who cannot, at this time in their lives, pray or believe, I ask You to accept my prayers, Masses, and Communions, and my acts of love and service under Your will, as being theirs also…etc

So if that kind of thought helps maybe it can ease the load on you

Yet, we are here for others. Christ is happy with both the Gospels of St. Matthew and St. John, as they both lead people to perfection in Christ. Some people will be more attracted, encouraged, and led by St. Matthew and others St. John, and, in fact, some people will devoutly study both and become even more perfectly consecrated to Christ by imitating both St. Matthew and St. John. :stuck_out_tongue: Christ is infinite so one does not lose by studying him in different ways. Yet, we are finite, so we can choose by which way we want to learn - what will be most fruitful for us given our limited time and resources.

One of the first things that St. Francis of Assisi did after leaving his father was to physically rebuild Christ’s church. He first began to repair St. Damian’s. He then began to repair St. Peter’s. Finally, he rebuilt St. Mary of the Portincula, forsaken and in ruins. He rebuilt it as he had done the others, and seems to have thought of spending his life there as a hermit, in peace and seclusion. Here on the feast of St. Matthias, in 1209, the way of life he was to follow was revealed to him. ewtn.com/library/mary/francis.htm

When I read that, I wondered, is St. Francis of Assisi another St. Matthew given that he received his vision of Christ on the feast of St. Matthew, as St. John the Baptist was another Elijah? :confused: :shrug: I already strongly suspect that St. John of the Cross is another St. John, the beloved disciple, united with the Blessed Mother. An interesting parallel that the Carmelites are under the protection of Our Lady of Mount Carmel and Elijah and St. John the Baptist was another Elijah. I never saw that before this minute! :eek:

When I read that, I also realize that just as our Blessed Mother is, according to St. Louis Marie Grignon de Montfort, the most secure, perfect, safe way to Christ, who is the only Saint without imperfection so that we are never misled or imitating something wrong when imitating her, we can also have ways to our Blessed Mother.

St. Francis of Assisi was led from St. Damian to St. Peter. I strongly suspect that St. Peter represents the Church, the Rock. Then he was led to St. Mary of Portincula, and after that maybe he received his vision of Christ and incarnated Christ in human form in a manner perhaps like St. Matthew. But though St. Damian led him to Christ, he didn’t remain imitating St. Damian.

So the most appropriate prayers and devotions and etc. to follow may be those that Christ is leading us to follow in achieving our most perfect union with him. Some he calls to union along the lines of such as St. Matthew, some as St. John, some might take inspiration from both. However, spiritual reading can be our St. Damian to get from one point to another - for example, soon I hope to begin reading St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross in order to better understand The Way of Perfection
catholicfirst.com/TheFaith/CatholicClassics/StTeresa/way/wayofperfection.cfm. They may be my St. Damian to help me get to help incarnate Christ and Mary in the world, perhaps reflecting St. John’s knowledge of him. Or I may study St. Bonaventure and others to learn to be Christ-like in the way that St. Francis of Assisi was, perhaps reflecting St. Matthew’s knowledge of him.

**Christ, is again, infinite - so the matter of choice may really be spiritual discernment of how Christ wants me to be his light. **

*Maybe with each of your activities, you might consider the level of perfection that these activities relatively have in leading you to Christ. St. Damian helped St. Francis of Assisi get to Christ and Mary. Yet, St. Francis of Assisi did not continue studying St. Damian for his whole life, as far as I know. Maybe try to discern the most perfect way in which Christ wants to lead you. Perhaps try and evaluate each of your various activities to see if it is a less or more perfect route to Christ compared to another activity and shape your focus on being conformed in the perfect way where you see the hand of Christ, leaving behind the less perfect ways. Submit your ideas to your current spiritual director for guidance. *

I want them to be strong and to love one another. I want them to understand everything. I want them to know in a more perfect way about God’s plan, which is Christ."Colossians 2:2

Does this Bible verse suggest that there are greater and lesser degrees of perfection? :eek: :extrahappy: :bigyikes: :wave:

Excerpt from St. Matthew

Now someone approached him and said, "Teacher, what good must I do to gain eternal life?"
He answered him, "Why do you ask me about the good? There is only One who is good. If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."
He asked him, “Which ones?” And Jesus replied, " ‘You shall not kill; you shall not commit adultery; you shall not steal; you shall not bear false witness;
honor your father and your mother’; and ‘you shall love your neighbor as yourself.’"
The young man said to him, "All of these I have observed. What do I still lack?"
Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to (the) poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
When the young man heard this statement, he went away sad, for he had many possessions.

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Amen, I say to you, it will be hard for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for one who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.
When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and said, "Who then can be saved?"
Jesus looked at them and said, "For human beings this is impossible, but for God all things are possible."

Then Peter said to him in reply, "We have given up everything and followed you. What will there be for us?"
Jesus said to them, "Amen, I say to you that you who have followed me, in the new age, when the Son of Man is seated on his throne of glory, will yourselves sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
And everyone who has given up houses or brother or sisters of father or mother or children or lands for the sake of my name will receive a hundred times more, and will inherit eternal life.
But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first. Matthew 19:30

lyricsmode.com/lyrics/b/baz_luhrmann/everybodys_free_to_wear_sunscreen.html

I’d listen to the song.

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

And consider your gifts. Do you prefer to spend time in mysticism, contemplating the mystery of Christ, or in preaching and service? Where, when, and how does Christ most bless your efforts? Prayer is a given in any case. :wink:

“If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” 1 Corinthians 13:1-8

“Never take others for your example in the tasks you have to perform, however holy they may be, for the devil will set their imperfections before you. But imitate Christ, who is supremely perfect and supremely holy, and you will never err.” St. John of the Cross

1550 In cases of doubt, I will not act, but will scrupulously seek clarifications from the priests, and in particular from my spiritual director. I will not give explanations on my own behalf when someone reproaches me or criticizes me, unless I am directly asked to bear witness to the truth. With great patience, I will listen when others open their hearts to me, accept their sufferings, give them spiritual comfort, but drown my own sufferings in the most merciful Heart of Jesus. I will never leave the depths of His mercy, while brining the whole world into those depths.

1790 I have come to know that, in order for God to act in a soul, it must give up acting on its own; otherwise, God will not carry out His will in it.

1488 My child, know that the greatest obstacles to holiness are discouragement and an exaggerated anxiety. These will deprive you of the ability to practice virtue. All temptations united together ought not disturb your interior peace, not even momentarily. Sensitiveness and discouragement are the fruits of self-love. Have confidence, My child. Do not lose heart in coming for pardon, for I am always ready to forgive you. As often as you beg for it, you glorify My mercy.

1695 Then I heard the words, I am glad you behaved like My true daughter. Be always merciful as I am merciful. Love everyone out of love for Me, even your greatest enemies, so that My mercy may be fully reflected in your heart.

1628 "During Holy Mass, I saw Jesus stretched out on the Cross, and He said to me, My pupil, have great love for those who cause you suffering. Do good to those who hate you.’ I answered, ‘O my Master, You see very well that I feel no love for them, and that troubles me.’ Jesus answered, 'It is not always within your power to control your feelings. You will recognize that you have love if, after having experienced annoyance and contradiction, you do not lose your peace, but pray for those who have made you suffer and wish them well."

[from Joysong in **Wisdom of St. Faustina forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=4642162&postcount=30

Today’s thoughts correspond with the daily readings since Jan. 2 from the first epistle of St. John - all about God’s love.

1478 Why are You sad today, Jesus? Tell me, who is the cause of Your sadness? And Jesus answered me, Chosen souls who do not have My spirit, who live according to the letter [cf. 2 Cor. 3:6] and have placed the letter above My spirit, above the spirit of love.

I have founded My whole law on love, and yet I do not see love, even in religious orders. This is why sadness fills My Heart.

Reading Jan. 2nd:
“As for you, the anointing that you receieved from him remains in you, so that you do not need anyone to teach you. But His anointing teaches you about everything and is true and not false; just as it taught you, remain in him.”

Following the inspiration and anoing of the Spirit, helps us overcome the temptation to live only by the letter, so often devoid of God’s love, especially for one another.]

140 Pure love… knows that only one thing is needed to please God: to do even the smallest things out of great love - love, and always love.

1356 When I hestitate on how to act in some situations, I always ask love. It advises best.

I strongly doubt that the labor will ever be much lessened in this world. We only have one life to live to earn merit for the rest of eternity, so it may be that a God who loves us will continue to send us Crosses until after we die.

Yet, I strongly suspect that if we find, follow, and pursue Christ’s perfect will instead of Christ’s permissive will, we will find inner peace and a joy that remains present in the midst of sorrow and suffering as well as great simplicity. So let us labor! :slight_smile: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

I especially like Gianna Jessen’s song, survivor of an 18 hour saline abortion committed by her 17 year old parents, singer, born with cerebral palsy as a result of the abortion, where she says, **Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say, It is well, It is well with my soul. ** giannajessen.com/

Therefore, stay awake, for you know neither the day nor the hour.
It will be as when a man who was going on a journey called in his servants and entrusted his possessions to them.
To one he gave five talents; to another, two; to a third, one–to each according to his ability. Then he went away. Immediately
the one who received five talents went and traded with them, and made another five.
Likewise, the one who received two made another two.

But the man who received one went off and dug a hole in the ground and buried his master’s money.
After a long time the master of those servants came back and settled accounts with them.
The one who have received five talents came forward bringing the additional five. He said, 'Master, you gave me five talents. See, I have made five more.‘
His master said to him, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant. Since you were faithful in small matters, I will give you great responsibilities. Come, share your master’s joy.
(Then) the one who had received two talents also came forward and said, 'Master, you gave me two talents. See I have made two more.'
His master said to him, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant. Since you were faithful in small matters, I will give you great responsibilities. Come, share your master’s joy.'
Then the one who had received the one talent came forward and said, 'Master, I knew you were a demanding person, harvesting where you did not plant and gathering where you did not scatter;
so out of fear I went off and buried your talent in the ground. Here it is back.'
His master said to him in reply, 'You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I did not plant and gather where I did not scatter?
Should you not then have put my money in the bank so that I could have got it back with interest on my return?
Now then! Take the talent from him and give it to the one with ten.

For to everyone who has, more will be given and he will grow rich; but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.
And throw this useless servant into the darkness outside, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.'Matthew 25:13-30

Thinking again about St. Matthew and St. John, and an apparent choice between the two for the time being, I thought about these passages of Scripture.

Whenever someone says, “I belong to Paul,” and another, “I belong to Apollos,” are you not merely human?

What is Apollos, after all, and what is Paul? Ministers through whom you became believers, just as the Lord assigned each one.
I planted, Apollos watered, but God caused the growth.
Therefore, neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who causes the growth.
The one who plants and the one who waters are equal, and each will receive wages in proportion to his labor.
For we are God’s co-workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.

According to the grace of God given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building upon it. But each one must be careful how he builds upon it,
for no one can lay a foundation other than the one that is there, namely, Jesus Christ.
If anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or straw,
the work of each will come to light, for the Day will disclose it. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire (itself) will test the quality of each one’s work.
If the work stands that someone built upon the foundation, that person will receive a wage.
But if someone’s work is burned up, that one will suffer loss; the person will be saved, but only as through fire.
Do you not know that you are the temple of God, and that the spirit of God dwells in you?

If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for the temple of God, which you are, is holy.
Let no one deceive himself. If any one among you considers himself wise in this age, let him become a fool so as to become wise.
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in the eyes of God, for it is written: "He catches the wise in their own ruses,"
and again: “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.”

So let no one boast about human beings, for everything belongs to you,
Paul or Apollos or Cephas, or the world or life or death, or the present or the future: all belong to you,
and you to Christ, and Christ to God.1 Corinthians 3:5-23

Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few; so ask the master of the harvest to send out laborers for his harvest.” Matthew 9:37-38

On Eternal Rest

Therefore, let us be on our guard while the promise of entering into his rest remains, that none of you seem to have failed.
For in fact we have received the good news just as they did. But the word that they heard did not profit them, for they were not united in faith with those who listened.
For we who believed enter into (that) rest, just as he has said: “As I swore in my wrath, 'They shall not enter into my rest,” and yet his works were accomplished at the foundation of the world.
For he has spoken somewhere about the seventh day in this manner, “And God rested on the seventh day from all his works”;
and again, in the previously mentioned place, "They shall not enter into my rest."
Therefore, since it remains that some will enter into it, and those who formerly received the good news did not enter because of disobedience,
he once more set a day, “today,” when long afterwards he spoke through David, as already quoted: "Oh, that today you would hear his voice: ‘Harden not your hearts.’"
Now if Joshua had given them rest, he would not have spoken afterwards of another day.
Therefore, a sabbath rest still remains for the people of God.
And whoever enters into God’s rest, rests from his own works as God did from his.
Therefore, let us strive to enter into that rest, so that no one may fall after the same example of disobedience.

Indeed, the word of God is living and effective, sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating even between soul and spirit, joints and marrow, and able to discern reflections and thoughts of the heart.
No creature is concealed from him, but everything is naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must render an account.

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast to our confession.
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has similarly been tested in every way, yet without sin.
So let us confidently approach the throne of grace to receive mercy and to find grace for timely help.Hebrews 4:1-16

Gianna Jessen

http://www.ripon.edu/news/2007-08/images/gjessenweb.jpg

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.