Sometimes it feels that the catholic and baptist faiths are different religions

My wife is baptist and I am catholic and sometimes it feels as if they are different religions what really brought this up was my wife’s mixture of sadness and anger today as my 5 year old was kneeling in quite in her room praying the rosary on her own without any instruction from anyone.

Don’t be too hard on your wife, for i have no doubt that she has sacrificed much in marrying you, a Catholic and accepting what is quite a remarkable devotion from your young child. As a Baptist there is no doubt what she was taught about the Catholic Faith. She may well be the subject to much for her marriage. Talk her through it if you can. If you cannot, just be a better husband for her to make up for her anger as a sign of love for you, which it really is.
Pray for her conversion or even understanding and most of all for her peace of mind within the family.

They are two different religions. It is sad, though. It can be a special challenge with interfaith relationships.

I guess it feels like she is worshiping a different jesus sometimes when she talks about once saved always saved

I don’t think most Baptists believe in praying the rosary whereas most Catholics think it’s a good thing. That’s where we differ.

Yeah, we Catholics don’t believe in “once saved always saved”. We believe you need to earn it the entire length of one’s life, not let up for one instant.

Im actually not a big fan of the Rosary. Certainly not because of the prayer. I dont care for the practice of rececitating this prayer repeatedly with the assumption you are made holy merely for saying the prayer. I see some people who boast about a “devotion to Mary” yet do not accept the Teachings of the Church, when it demands sacrifice.
If my daughter was praying the Rosary like your daughter was, I would not be sad or upset. But I would and do make sure she understands who we should be devoted to and what it means to have Mary as our mother in Christ.

The Church does not Teach we need to earn our Salvation. Nor does it Teach we can earn our Salvation. We need to continue in the free gift of Salvation which was earned for us by Our Lord. We must continually convert our hearts toward Him. This means participating in the good works of the Will of God.

RCwitness says,
The Church does not Teach we need to earn our Salvation. Nor does it Teach we can earn our Salvation. We need to continue in the free gift of Salvation which was earned for us by Our Lord. We must continually convert our hearts toward Him. This means participating in the good works of the Will of God.

This is soo true even tho misunderstood by many protestants. Just something else they try to use to bash Catholics. I often wonder if they know what the 8th Commandment is. God Bless. Memaw

Try explaining Catholicism to your wife. Do it slowly doh, don’t try to explain everything in one sitting. Explain to her why we believe what we believe, and tell her put all the negative stuff you heard about my faith aside and listen from a catholic. But before you do pray so that God can put the right words in your mouth and open her mind.

I don’t think that Catholics believe that you earn salvation but rather that works are a sign of true salvation and you are save by faith and faith without works is dead. Of course life in the church is also indicated by participation in the sacraments.

Did your daughter learn to say the Rosary from watching you say it? If not, you need to start saying it also as your daughter is a wonderful example for you. If yes, what a wonderful example you are.

As for your wife, arguing with her is not going to help Only silent prayer will. And I emphasize silent. Do not tell her you are praying for. Do not ask your daughter to pray for her just pray. And, as my very wise mother would say, let go and let God.

They are 2 different churches. Baptists are the reason I’m Catholic. They hate us, generally. Guilt, wrath, and fear vs. Mercy and love. Which Jesus do you love? Common sense.

Catholics and Baptists are both parts of the same religion, Christianity. But not all Baptists recognize Catholics as Christians. Because we do believe in the seven sacraments, while Baptists believe in “Gettin’ saved” with no sacraments. Baptists call what we call sacraments ‘ordinances’ and they have only two. Baptism and the Lord’s Supper.

Their “Lord’s Supper” is only symbolic and not a Sacrament. God Bless, Memaw

Just got my first rosary and a pamphlet explaining the mysteries that one meditates on. Need to do more research on this practice.

Pick up The Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis de Montfort. If you read it all the way through without dropping dead from a heart attack, you incur excommunication latae sententiae from Protestantism and have to become Catholic.

A big problem my wife and I regarding this is for her as a Baptist since all sins are equal she gets very bent out of shape when people do small things wrong and she is very hard on herself over the smallest things.

Has she never read 1st John 5:17?

But its understanding should probably be balanced with James 2:10

A small imperfection or mistake, does not always sever our relationship completely with Jesus. It may cause some problems in the relationship, but it doesnt destroy it. But setting ourselves against a Law of God has the judgment of the One who gives the Law, or mortal seperation from Our Lord.

God bless your fellowship :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.