Son of God and son of Mary?

We had a fill-in priest today and he said something during the Eucharist that I don’t think I’ve ever heard before. I apologize for not being able to tell you exactly what part it was in, but at some point in presenting the host he referred to Jesus as “son of God and son of Mary.”

I suppose that’s technically true, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard a priest mention Mary at that part of the mass before. And most of his homily was about Mary too, so I was wondering if that’s just a variation or if he’s gone off the Marian deep end. lol

Every priest is obligated to pronounce the Mass texts exactly as they are given by the Church. And no sacerdos (presbyter or bishop) has any right, or legitimacy to change them.

When you write “presenting the Host” that might mean either at the Consecration or at the Lamb of God. Neither of those 2 moments have any text that mentions “Son of God and Son of Mary.”

I have heard this phrase during the penitential rite (Lord Jesus, you are Son of God, and Son of Mary. Lord have mercy.). Never heard it in the Eucharistic prayers.

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.