Son of God

What does it mean for Jesus to be the Son of God?

[quote=hawk]What does it mean for Jesus to be the Son of God?
[/quote]

It means that Jesus Christ has always existed, was never created, and will always be; He submits himself voluntarily in love to the Father, I believe.

A little about me first.

I am a Catholic, apostate of Islam, alongwith my wife, who is muslim but wishes to accept Christ in her life.

I believe there are many good muslims in the world, most of my family and freinds are wonderful muslims.

I am here to educate catholics, hoping that they can bear testimony to muslims of the immense truth of Christianity and Catholocism.

The Truth is GOD LOVES YOU!

My questions here, are to provoke Catholics into searching for the truth of our faith.

Armed with this unassailable truth, no muslim can ever bother you with their questions about Christianity.

Today you are not yet aware of it, but you will one day encounter islam, and its questions.

I am here to ensure that you can successfully answer these questions, and in turn be the instrument of God to show muslims the Truth.

Many Catholics are complacent about their faith, they do not seek its ultimate Truths. I am sorry but you spurn your God given blessing by not seeking its Truth.

Wa’salam

[quote=Ahimsa]It means that Jesus Christ has always existed, was never created, and will always be; He submits himself voluntarily in love to the Father, I believe.
[/quote]

Where in the Bible does it say this?

How do you know this?

[quote=hawk]Where in the Bible does it say this?

How do you know this?
[/quote]

It doesn’t actually explicitly say so in the Bible. Christian councils defined the nature of Jesus Christ some 300 to 400 years after the birth of Jesus.

(I’m not Catholic, by the way; so maybe I should bow out.:D)

Where in the Bible does it say this?

How do you know this?

John 1, actually. It’s very explicit in the Bible.

[quote=hawk]A little about me first.

I am a Catholic, apostate of Islam, alongwith my wife, who is muslim but wishes to accept Christ in her life.

I believe there are many good muslims in the world, most of my family and freinds are wonderful muslims.

I am here to educate catholics, hoping that they can bear testimony to muslims of the immense truth of Christianity and Catholocism.

My questions here, are to provoke Catholics into searching for the truth of our faith.

Armed with this unassailable truth, no muslim can ever bother you with their questions about Christianity.

Today you are not yet aware of it, but you will one day encounter islam, and its questions.

I am here to ensure that you can successfully answer these questions, and in turn be the instrument of God to show muslims the Truth.

Many Catholics are complacent about their faith, they do not seek its ultimate Truths. I am sorry but you spurn your God given blessing by not seeking its Truth.

Wa’salam
[/quote]

theres a bunch of muslims on this site too. Dont worry…

How do you know this?
[/quote]

As Gosty said, it is explicitly in the Bible, but please don’t make the mistake and think you are talking to Sola Scriptua Protestants. Catholics are not limited to what’s in the Bible. The Bible was written by members of the Catholic Church, compiled by the Catholic Church and protected from alteration by the Catholic Church. Even though, it is not the sole authority on dogma.

How do you know this?
[/quote]

Here is what part of the first chapter of John says. In the begining there was the Word. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. All things were made by him and nothing was made without him. In him there was life and that life was the light of all people. The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has no power over it.(verses 1-5)

Verses 14- The Word became a human and lived among us. We saw his glory-the glory that belongs to the only SOn of the Father-and he was full of grace and truth.

[quote=deb1]Here is what part of the first chapter of John says. In the begining there was the Word. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. All things were made by him and nothing was made without him. In him there was life and that life was the light of all people. The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has no power over it.(verses 1-5)

Verses 14- The Word became a human and lived among us. We saw his glory-the glory that belongs to the only SOn of the Father-and he was full of grace and truth.
[/quote]

Indeed, in the great commission too, in Matthew 28, i think, Jesus himself says as much.

But wasnt Adam called the son of God, too?

How does that make Jesus, His only begotten son?

Son of God, simply means a person that is close to God.

Why is is that only John talks about the Jesus’ sonship, (except that I have pointed out Matthew already to your good folks).

Does the term the Son of God, imply deityship of Christ?

If not then why do you attribute divinity to Jesus?

[quote=hawk]What does it mean for Jesus to be the Son of God?
[/quote]

Hi there

It means nothing beside a blodface LIE.

Regards
Preacher

[quote=Preacher]Hi there

It means nothing beside a blodface LIE.

Regards
Preacher
[/quote]

I think my freind, its time for you to start seeking true faith.

A good beginning is to pray, dont even look at catholocism, just ask Allah to guide you on the right path.

Also look for Allahs guidance in your life, you will surely be led on the straight path, then.

[quote=hawk]I think my freind, its time for you to start seeking true faith.

A good beginning is to pray, dont even look at catholocism, just ask Allah to guide you on the right path.

Also look for Allahs guidance in your life, you will surely be led on the straight path, then.
[/quote]

ISLAM IS THE ONLY SOLUTION

[quote=Preacher]ISLAM IS THE ONLY SOLUTION
[/quote]

[quote=hawk]Indeed, in the great commission too, in Matthew 28, i think, Jesus himself says as much.

Why is is that only John talks about the Jesus’ sonship, (except that I have pointed out Matthew already to your good folks).

[/quote]

Read through John, especially the first chapter. It says that He was with God and the whole world was made by Him.( I am paraphraizing) Adam was not with God at the time of creation. Also, in Luke the Holy SPirit came on Mary and impregnated her even though she hadn’t ‘known’ a man.

[quote=hawk]A little about me first.

Wa’salam
[/quote]

Have you tried debating with Muslims on this site yet?? :smiley: They think they know EVERYTHING and only what they believe is true! Good Luck to You!

[quote=hawk]Indeed, in the great commission too, in Matthew 28, i think, Jesus himself says as much.

[/quote]

my friend, actually human(as creation of God) is the son of God because of His great love. Jesus is Son of God not as creation of God but as God’s word becoming flesh, that’s why He is called the only Son of God. Before Him There is only word and thanks to God’s love His word becomes flesh(human) and that human must have a name, right? He is Jesus who resides in heaven now. The process of becoming flesh from word is through the birth process for if not through it He is not human. He is human because His mother is Marry, He is God because He is word of God becoming flesh.

you are right, first pray don’t look at catholicism and Islam too, be convinced that if you really want the truth Allah will give you the truth, just ask Allah to guide you to the right path, ask Him with humble if Jesus God or not, and open your heart.

Jesus was “begotten not made” which is different from Adam who was made or created by God.

[quote=Maranatha]Jesus was “begotten not made” which is different from Adam who was made or created by God.
[/quote]

How does this make Jesus a god though?

[quote=hawk]How does this make Jesus a god though?
[/quote]

begotten, made, created, god in human flesh, 100% god 100% man, whatever…doesnt matter. There is only One God and he is not in need of any son/daughter/mother/father. IT is HE we Muslims worship.

so simple

p.s. whats the point of this thread?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.