Son of Man, Son of God, Lamb of God

In the title, I’ve listed a few titles of Christ:
Why are certain titles used and what is there meaning?

Jesus referred to himself as the “Son of Man” because of a prophecy in the book of Daniel:

Daniel 7:12-14
13 “In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man,[a] coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. 14 He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all nations and peoples of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.

Jesus is the “Son of God” because He is the second person of the Blessed Trinity - Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Jesus is called the “Lamb of God” because like a lamb who was slain as a sacrifice to God, Jesus was slain on the cross for the redemption of sinners.

John 1: 29
The next day, he (John the Baptist) saw Jesus coming towards him and said, “Look, there is the lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world.”

Okay, one other title that I should have mentioned. Lord-
What is the disctinction between Lord and God.

“Lord” (kyrios) means “master” or “owner.” The term is usually applied to God, but is also applied to people who own land or slaves. The context determines which meaning is to be understood.

God (theos) means God.

Thomas says to Jesus, “My Lord (Kyrios) and my God (Theos)” [John 20:28]

Modern Catholic Dictionary:

SON OF MAN. The most frequently used title of Christ in the New Testament, occurring eighty-two times and, all but once (Acts 7:56), in the Gospels. A messianic title (Daniel 7:2-14), it identifies the heavenly transcendence of the Savior while stressing his humanity, in contrast with the “Son of God,” which emphasizes his divinity.

**SON OF GOD. **The Second Person of the Holy Trinity, who became man to suffer and die for the redemption of mankind. Christ is therefore the true, natural Son of God, as testified by the Father in the vision recorded at the baptism of Christ, “You are my Son, the Blessed” (Luke 3:22), and, as described by St. Paul, that “God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets; but in our own time, the last days, He has spoken to us through His Son, the Son that He has appointed to inherit everything and through whom He made everything there is” (Hebrews 1:1-2).

LAMB. A symbol of Christ. Rendered in many forms as early as the fourth century. Various aspects show the animal balancing a staff by its right front leg, with a wound in its chest pouring blood into a chalice, representing Christ’s Blood in the Passion; the staff bearing a flag signifying Christ’s victory in the Resurrection; the lamb resting or standing on a closed book with its seven sealed streamers symbolizing Christ as the judge. The lamb is the emblem of docility; “harshly dealt with, he bore it humbly, he never opened his mouth like the lamb that is led to the slaughter house” (Isaiah 53:7). But the lamb triumphant is portrayed symbolically in the song ascribed to St. Ambrose, “Now at the Lamb’s high royal feast,” and St. John speaks of the wrath of the Lamb when the sixth seal is broken. As an emblem of St. John the Baptist, it is found in Chartres Cathedral on a banner that reads “Behold the Lamb of God,” referring to Christ, “Who takes away the sins of the world.” St. Agnes, the child virgin and martyr, is also symbolized by the lamb.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.