Song Paying Tribute To The Crusade?

I'm a big of E Nomine. Their "Heilig" is the only song that I know pays tribute to the Crusade. I love this song.

Please, list if you know of any. Thanks!

youtube.com/watch?v=wz2NTbNsyWo

Holy is my spirit, which flows in me
Holy is my war, pouring blood

Holy!

Red rain on the earth (3x)

Holy, is my journey into foreign land
Holy, to raise my hand
Holy, what my faith orders me
Holy, because my god wants it from me

Crossing blessed land
God's sword in my hand
then we are Holy!
Holy
but Holy was nothing for me in this world!

God (Holy!), Fate (Holy!), New (Holy!)

Holy was nothing for us in this world

Red rain on the earth (2x)

Holy, is my struggle in this war
Holy, uses everything for victory
and Holy is the father which loves me
Holy, all the sins forgiving me

Holy, the call after the sea of blood
Holy, sinks my head in God's fury
Holy, enemies dying by my arm
Holy, speaks the clergy in his madness

Holy is my homeland no more!

Holy was nothing for us on this world

Holy Red rain on the earth

Holy (3x)

Holy is my homeland no more!

but Holy was nothing for us in this world

Holy Red rain on the earth

Ok, I know people often are touchy about their favorate music and I actually agree we could use some good modern songs memorializing the Crusades in both positive and tragic ways, but this just seems like the Crusades as interpreted through the mind of a mad berserker.

Now here’s something, not a song nor technically about the Crusades, but it’s something along the lines of the attitude I could see from a good song taking a more heroic view of the Crusades.

bartleby.com/103/91.html

Its an okay song. I however have distain for the game Assasians Creed, as in it you kill priests and knights in bloody ways. Not my cup of tea…(although I do love vidoe games, being a young person)

Now heres a real song paying tribute to the Cursades, from the times of the Crusades!

youtube.com/watch?v=k-gTUUgZCQo&list=PL0C7799F19D46DE63&index=1

God Bless and Ave Maria!

Woohooo! Kill for Christ, that’s what I always say!

…wait… :confused:

I personally find their fusion of German and Latin amusing, I’m waiting for rock and roll in Latin personally

[quote="VeritasLuxMea, post:5, topic:258101"]
Woohooo! Kill for Christ, that's what I always say!

...wait... :confused:

[/quote]

Which has really nothing to do with what the crusades were about....

The only other one I can think of is Warren Zevon's "Ourselves to Know":

We left Constantinople in a thousand ninety-nine
To restore the one True Cross was in this heart of mine
To bring it to Jerusalem and then sail home to Rhodes
We took that holy ride ourselves to know

Everyone got famous, everyone got rich
Everyone went off the rails and ended in the ditch
But we had to take that long, hard road to see where it would go

Now if you make a pilgrimage I hope you find your grail
Be loyal to the ones you leave with even if you fail
Be chivalrous to strangers you meet along the road
As you take that holy ride yourselves to know
You take that holy ride yourselves to know

[quote="Redbaron998, post:7, topic:258101"]
Which has really nothing to do with what the crusades were about....

[/quote]

I guess murder for Christ was just a side benefit, huh? A perk of the job? :rolleyes:

What “murder”? The Crusades were defensive wars against an invasion.

Did you know the Holy Land was part of Byzantium?

Please discuss the causes and significance of the Byzantine defeat at Manzikert, the reasons for and effect of Raymond of Toulouse’s delay at Antioch, the organization of feudal armies, or the difference between European and Turkish cavalry.

I mean, since you’re such an expert on the Crusades, and all.

The Crusades were a lot like the modern wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, in that they were mostly well meaning, partially altruistic, partly to keep a horror from reaching Western shores, sometimes involving terrible scandals and atrocities, and perhaps not worth it in the end. It’s impossible to truly categorize these kinds of things as entirely good or bad.

For as long as mankind has been around though we’ve taken complex histories and created myths out of them to teach later generations how to act. I think there is room for this, and so songs idealizing the Crusades as heroic, chivalrous pursuits of good have a place in Western Civilization in my opinion, as long as we maintain balance and perspective about it all.

The song posted by the OP I think does not do this, but instead interpreted the Crusades and apparently Christianity itself (“Holy, speaks the clergy in his madness”) as something irrational and bloodthirsty- a sort of Germanic heathenization of the Crusades. A Christian knight fights because he loves peace, not war. He kills because he loves life, not death. In all things he conducts himself with charity, purity, courtesy, compassion, and honor.

[quote="VeritasLuxMea, post:5, topic:258101"]
Woohooo! Kill for Christ, that's what I always say!

...wait... :confused:

[/quote]

That's what I was thinking.. o.0

I can imagine. Two very different languages, but I love them both nonetheless. Just not at the same time.

Better yet, a Latin rap group! :smiley:

What “murder”? The Crusades were defensive wars against an invasion.

Did you know the Holy Land was part of Byzantium?

Please discuss the causes and significance of the Byzantine defeat at Manzikert, the reasons for and effect of Raymond of Toulouse’s delay at Antioch, the organization of feudal armies, or the difference between European and Turkish cavalry.

I mean, since you’re such an expert on the Crusades, and all.

I will present the alternative (perhaps not entirely mutually exclusive) interpretation that the crusades were largely a response to the end of the centuries-long war against the Nordic vikings. Standing armies in those days were nearly impossible to disband. If the king couldn’t pay them (they were mostly mercenary armies), then nothing he could do short of raising another army could keep them from pillaging to make up for their payment in arrears. The crusades were a way to solve this armies by offering a military outlet (and payment in conquered lands) far away from Europe.

The crusades were also as much about the conquest of land as any other war. Many military leaders took over plots of land and set up their own little fiefdoms throughout Anatolia and the Levant, in lands that had no religious significane to Christians. As is the case with most wars declared in the name of religion, the crusades had more to do with the politics of the age than Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.