Songs for funeral mass

I don’t really like it either.

2 Likes

That sounds very nice, but I know a lot of parishes and a lot of priests who would not permit those songs, other than the Ave Maria, at a Catholic funeral because they are secular songs not from the regular hymnal. Or at most, might permit one of them at the very end, but not three of them.

1 Like

I frequently sing at funeral Masses. Common songs are ‘the summons’ ‘prayer to St Francis’ ‘song of the angels’
I will list a few more as I remember the names :slight_smile:

1 Like

We sing Amazing Grace at Funeral Masses . It is a beautiful song.

2 Likes

I too would like In Paradisum sung at my funeral too.

I’m pretty sure it was a Jesuit priest. There was a school connected with the church that the man’s children had attended. And I believe the family was quite generous in their donations to that church over the years.

Ask your parish secretary for the funeral planning book. It’ll have all the choices, songs, readings, etc.

1 Like

We buried my wife’s older cousin recently and sang the chanted funeral Mass for her. It was very moving.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.