Sony Hackers Threaten 9/11 Attack on Movie Theaters That Screen ‘The Interview’

The Sony hackers have threatened a 9/11-like attack on movie theaters that screen Seth Rogen and James Franco’s North Korean comedy “The Interview,” substantially escalating the stakes surrounding the release of the movie.

The attackers also released the promised “Christmas gift” of files. The contents of the files are unknown but it’s called “Michael Lynton,” who is the CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment.

“The world will be full of fear,” the message reads. “Remember the 11th of September 2001. We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time. (If your house is nearby, you’d better leave.) Whatever comes in the coming days is called by the greed of Sony Pictures Entertainment.”

variety.com/2014/film/news/sony-hackers-threaten-911-attack-on-movie-theaters-that-screen-the-interview-1201380712/

:shrug:

So… the hackers are… going to throw their computers at buildings?

I’m confused here. What exactly are they threatening?

Given the cult of personality for the leader of N. Korea and N. Korean society itself, they could do a lot more than just throwing computers.

I know, but I’m confused about if it’s NK making the threats, or just a group of hackers?

This just goes to show the depth of insanity that prevails if democracy is eliminated…

Didn’t realize the north Koreans were smart enough to hack into a company’s files.

They were smart enough to launch a cyber attack on Verizon’s ISP infrastructure and bring down their network nationwide in 2009.

Do the North Koreans dislike this because Sony is a is a Japanese multinational conglomerate corporation . To me, that seems like it could be a factor.

Without question the hacking of Sony is awful and scary beyond words.

Another awful thing is an American film company making a movie about murdering a real life world leader. What an awful ideal for a movie. This awful movie was to be released on -]Christmas day. /-] December 25th.

Part of me is feeling smug and saying, “Karma sucks, doesn’t it Sony?”

This pretty much identifies the hackers. Rogen and Franco have cancelled further media appearances. They really are going after Sony.
I hope our government is paying attention to this.

In 1940’s “The Dictator,” Chaplain and the studio heads had the good sense to change the names. Everyone knew they were parodying Adolph Hitler, but they could deny it and say, “No its not. Its Adenoid Hynkel.” I guess Rogen and company thought we were all more sophisticated now and didn’t need to veil our jokes anymore. KJU did not get the memo.

This is from their news station (kcna.co.jp/item/2014/201406/news25/20140625-23ee.html )

*DPRK FM Spokesman Blasts U.S. Moves to Hurt Dignity of Supreme Leadership of DPRK

Pyongyang, June 25 (KCNA) – The spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK released the following statement Wednesday:

The enemies have gone beyond the tolerance limit in their despicable moves to dare hurt the dignity of the supreme leadership of the DPRK.

A preview of a film on insulting and assassinating the supreme leadership of the DPRK is floating in broad daylight in the U.S., a kingpin of international terrorism and its cesspool, shocking the world community.

The U.S. has gone reckless in such provocative hysteria as bribing a rogue movie maker to dare hurt the dignity of the supreme leadership of the DPRK. This act of not fearing any punishment from Heaven is touching off the towering hatred and wrath of the service personnel and people of the DPRK.

The above-said practice is, however, a revelation of its fear as it is taken aback by the bright and rosy future of the DPRK under the leadership of the peerless great man and a last-ditch effort of those who are seized by a daydream.

Absolutely intolerable is the distribution of such film in the U.S. as it is the most undisguised terrorism and a war action to deprive the service personnel and people of the DPRK of their mental mainstay and bring down its social system.

The dignified and worthwhile life the Korean people enjoy at present and the great changes taking place in the country as well as everything valuable that will belong to the rosy future when the dreams and ideals of the people will come true would be unthinkable apart from the supreme leadership of the DPRK.

That’s why they regard the supreme leadership as dearer than their own lives.

It is their firm determination and stamina to mercilessly destroy anyone who dares hurt or attack the supreme leadership of the country even a bit.

Those who defamed our supreme leadership and committed the hostile acts against the DPRK can never escape the stern punishment to be meted out according to a law wherever they might be in the world.

If the U.S. administration connives at and patronizes the screening of the film, it will invite a strong and merciless countermeasure. *

They live in a country where everything is controlled by the government. One is not allowed to make fun of or insult their leader. They are assuming this is a plot by the US, since in their country it would be.

There seems to be a video clip of the movie where the leader is killed or executed. Is that a part of the movie?

Sounds like either they are pulling premiering this on Christmas day or they are pulling the movie altogether.

This is the country we are today-kowtowing (not sure how that word is spelled) to dictators of North Korea and Cuba.

When they release over the top rhetoric like the above, how can they expect the free world to not make fun of them? The ridicule themselves with their own words.

I would have changed his name to Slim Dong or something along those lines.

I’m disappointed that Sony chose to cancel the movie release as it appears as an act of capitulation to a very loathsome government; then again perhaps they had no choice as none of the chains were willing to show it, given the ominous threats from the North Korean hackers. Or perhaps they felt it simply wasn’t worth the risk of violence and the lawsuits that might materialize from that. Still I suspect the hackers were bluffing.

I suspect they were bluffing too, but all it would take is an act of violence against one theatre for a tragedy. I don’t even think North Korea would have anyone in place here to carry out an attack.
They probably have spies. I don’t like to see our freedoms stomped on by a dictator from North Korea.

I, for one, am not sorry that movie will not open except it then looks like we’re afraid of N Korea. I’m sure that the US gov. talked Sony into not showing it. Sony was unsure of what to do just a few days ago, as it may compromise national security or our treating with N Korea.

Hopefully on the bright side, this gets other major corporations to take their information security more seriously. This is an even bigger hit than the one on Target last year.

Two thoughts keep coming to mind….

1.) Sony execs should have anticipated a response by North Korea. They appear completely unprepared for such an event. Pyongyang is not beyond executing critics or anyone they see as a threat in extremely inhumane ways…expect they are going after your network.

2.) What is astounding has been the eagerness of many media outlets to print stolen personal correspondence for public consumption. And promote a release of whatever may come next.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.