Sorry if this sounds stupid, but what is the basic beliefs in cathoicism

Hi there!.

Well i’ve been posting on here for a bit, i would just like to know the basic beleif of being a catholic.

We BELIEVE in God the Father Almighty,
Maker of heaven and earth:
And in Jesus Christ his only Son, our Lord;
who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,
born of the virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended into hell;
the third day he rose again from the dead;
he ascended into heaven,
and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
We believe in the Holy Ghost;
the holy catholic church;
the communion of saints;
the forgiveness of sins;
the resurrection of the body;
and the life everlasting.

Marie beat me to it! For a more in depth and not so basic look, check out the Catechism:thumbsup:

check this out: [/font]I hope this helps!

Very well said Marie! That really cuts to the chase doesn’t it!

We also believe that Christ founded a Church on earth and he appointed Peter to head it. He promised that the Gates of Hell would not prevail against it. He asked Peter to feed his sheep and this is what the Pope has done for generations to follow.

The New Testament is the Old Testament Revealed, as such, we are the fulfillment of all that God promised our older brothers, the Jews. This is why you will find Sacred Tradition so important in Catholicism. It is through Sacred Tradition (different than the traditions of men) that we have retained the Truths given by Christ to the Apostles.

The Pope, as vicar of Christ, is protected by the Holy Spirit from teaching error in matters of Faith and Morals. This has allowed us to retain the fullness of the Truth given to us by Christ. When men disagree and cannot come to consensus on the correct interpretation of the Word, the Church has a repository for the Faithful. Much of this is retained in the CCC. For questions which arise which have not yet been adequately been addressed, can be answered infallibly by the Pope, ensuring we stay the course, as given by Christ himself.

I hope this helps,

CARose

Thank you so much guys, really cleared it up for me.

Thing is, when i was younger i was involved with islam and i’m trying to sort myself out, as my mother is catholic (shes helping me a lot)…i believe in god, jesus and all of the above i just wasnt sure if there was more, thank you again =)

Having a background with Islam, you may be interested in knowing, if you don’t already, that Catholicism has a great love of Mary, Mother of God, Jesus’s mother.

You may want to pray to her to intercede with her son for your enlightenment during this period of discernment.

I’ll add you to my prayers,

CARose

CARose.

What i mean by Islam, is this :

I was 15, dating a islamic boy, he sucked me into his religion, and i had a very hard time with him.

I was born Christian, but not catholic, my mother never had me baptised.

I’m sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. I hope you find that the Christianity protected by the Catholic Church serves you better. You are an individual with the dignity given to you by God himself. As such, you deserve to be treated with respect.

God Bless,

CARose

Thank you =)

You know, i’ve been reading the bible and did atend chruch last sunday, i felt so happy in myself, not like before.

I’m just really happy i’m sorting my head out, concering God.

It sounds as though God is already blessing you. In case no-one has mentioned it, please forgo taking communion until you have completed the conversion process, including baptism and confirmation.

Have you talked to the local pastor or the Director of Religious Education regarding the RCIA program? They can help you learn more about what the Church teaches.

CARose

I havent yet spoken to him about it.

Yeah i will, i want to get baptised soon
I’ll speak with him next week

Be prepared to learn that it may take a year or longer (because of your youth). With adults, the RCIA program begins typically in the Fall, with Baptism, Confirmation at Easter. In the intervening time, the Catecumens (those seeking entry to the church) study the teachings of the Church to ensure they understand what they’re committing to. With Catholicism, you don’t get to pick and choose which teachings of the Church you want to accept, so it’s important that you know what you’re getting into.

Hope this helps,

CARose

Thanks, i know what your saying.
To be honest, i’m not found of some who “Pick and chose” what they believe in concering the church you know.

Thanks for the info!:slight_smile:

Well then, welcome home to the Church that protects all that Christ shared with us.

CARose

[quote=Red Rain Drops]Hi there!.

Well i’ve been posting on here for a bit, i would just like to know the basic beleif of being a catholic.
[/quote]

Not a stupid question at all. In fact, it is the essential first question that one ought to alway ask when inquiring into any religion.

The Profession of Faith of the Latin Rite Liturgy is as follows:

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, light from light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary
and became truly human.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father [and the Son],
who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.
We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

A longer creed, or shorter catechism (teaching) can be read from Pope Paul VI, here:

CREDO OF THE PEOPLE OF GOD

A compendium of Catholic teaching is presented more thoroughly in the Catechism of the Catholic Church

And if you still want to know even more, you can take free online courses offered by the Knights of Columbus, here:

Online Courses (Includes chapter tests and instant scoring):
[list]
*]The Luke E. Hart Series Course
*]The Faith Formation Course
[/list]

[quote=Red Rain Drops]Hi there!.

[/quote]

We believe in one God, the Father Almighty.
We believe in one God, the Father All-sovereign, maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible;

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, and the only-begotten Son of God, Begotten of the Father before all the ages, Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten not made, of one substance with the Father, through whom all things were made; who for us men and for our salvation came down from the heavens, and was made flesh of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, and became man, and was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and was buried, and rose again on the third day according to the Scriptures, and ascended into the heavens, and sits on the right hand of the Father, and comes again with glory to judge living and dead, of whose kingdom there shall be no end:

And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and the Life-giver, that proceeds from the Father, who with the Father and Son is worshipped together and glorified together, who spoke through the prophets:

In one holy catholic and apostolic church:

We acknowledge one baptism unto remission of sins. We look for a resurrection of the dead, and the life of the age to come.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.